The Official Rooted Android Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Rooted Android Thread

It sounds like there are quite a few of us with Android phones. Maybe some of you have rooted your phones. It might be fun to share experiences, tips, links, suggestions, etc. related to rooted phones and custom ROMs.

I rooted my phone yesterday (Sprint HTC Hero CDMA). First thing I tried was the wifi tether app. It fired right up and I was able to connect my laptop without a hitch. I connected my son's laptop also. He was watching HD videos on youtube while I was browsing and the speed was great all around. This is all with 3G of course. I love that app already.

I am gearing up to flash some custom ROMs. Before I do that, I am going to partition my SD card and install a2sd. This moves all of your non-system apps to the SD card to free up memory.

You iPhone users may want to start a jail break thread.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I have heard a few guys getting their phones bricked after rooting their phones. So I am weary to do it. Especially with a phone that is still brand new.

What are the advantages to rooting your phone? I am pretty content with the customization as is. Was PDAnet not working for you anymore to tether?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

I finally got my Droid and I love it. I heard WiFi teatheing will be coming with Froyo. Anyone know when that update will be available? I'm to afraid to mess with it, I just stroke it gently and whisper sweet nothings to it.
      "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
      "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
      "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Haven't rooted mine yet but I wrote my first app for it the other day. Just a prototype, nothing special. I have the technical ability to write apps but my problem is that I'm completely bereft of ideas for good apps.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          Haven't rooted mine yet but I wrote my first app for it the other day. Just a prototype, nothing special. I have the technical ability to write apps but my problem is that I'm completely bereft of ideas for good apps.

Ditto.
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
            CUF App with 10 most recent posts. Game. Set. Match.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              I have heard a few guys getting their phones bricked after rooting their phones. So I am weary to do it. Especially with a phone that is still brand new.
              I don't blame you. I wouldn't root a new Evo. My phone is ancient (8 months old) and if I brick it I can pick up another on ebay for $100 or less. It looks to me like the odds of bricking are pretty small.

I will upgrade to an Evo eventually, but they are too pricey now.

What are the advantages to rooting your phone? I am pretty content with the customization as is. Was PDAnet not working for you anymore to tether?
              The stock android 2.1 is kind of buggy and it can be very sluggish at times. By rooting you end up with a custom rom that is faster (you can overclock and it manages the apps more efficiently) and has much longer battery life. Sprint has already announced that they will not be upgrading the OS on this model again. So you have to rely on the developer community to get things like Android 2.2 - aka froyo (soon to be released as a custom rom for my phone - supposed to be 2-5 times faster than v2.1).

PDANet is OK, but it is kind of flaky. Sometimes it just won't connect. With wifi tether I don't need to bother with a USB cable and anyone with me can connect also.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                CUF App with 10 most recent posts. Game. Set. Match.
                Too late. Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I don't blame you. I wouldn't root a new Evo. My phone is ancient (8 months old) and if I brick it I can pick up another on ebay for $100 or less. It looks to me like the odds of bricking are pretty small.

I will upgrade to an Evo eventually, but they are too pricey now.

The stock android 2.1 is kind of buggy and it can be very sluggish at times. By rooting you end up with a custom rom that is faster (you can overclock and it manages the apps more efficiently) and has much longer battery life. Sprint has already announced that they will not be upgrading the OS on this model again. So you have to rely on the developer community to get things like Android 2.2 - aka froyo (soon to be released as a custom rom for my phone - supposed to be 2-5 times faster than v2.1).

PDANet is OK, but it is kind of flaky. Sometimes it just won't connect. With wifi tether I don't need to bother with a USB cable and anyone with me can connect also.
                  Yeah this is where I am at. With a new phone that I expect to be supported at least with Froyo and hopefully the next incarnation after, I won't be rooting any time soon. I am sure I will do this though in a year or two or when they announce that the Evo will no longer be supported via upgrades.

I love my phone so much. It's amazing to think what I did before I had it. This may sound hyperbolic but it's like life before and after the internet. And I have had a Blackberry and a Nokia that I was able to do quite a bit with before the smartphone take over.
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

I rooted my g1 and I run cyanogenmod. works great. I love android.

Comment

So let me get this straight. If I buy an EVO I can't run Froyo unless I'm willing to risk bricking it?

I am probably going to upgrade to the EVO soon but from reading this thread it seems like Sprint isn't going to keep pace with the updates. Am I correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        So let me get this straight. If I buy an EVO I can't run Froyo unless I'm willing to risk bricking it?

I am probably going to upgrade to the EVO soon but from reading this thread it seems like Sprint isn't going to keep pace with the updates. Am I correct?
                        Froyo just barely rolled out for Google's own Nexus One this week. So I wouldn't say they're not keeping pace. Sprint is expected to roll it out for their phones in the next 6 months. I will only be concerned if Froyo gets out to the other carriers long before Sprint.

But to answer your question, unless you have a Nexus One, the only way to run Froyo right now otherwise is to have a rooted phone.
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post

You don't need to worry. Sprint has already announced that froyo will be ported to the EVO. But at some point (maybe a year from now), the EVO will be phased out and they will stop providing updates to the OS.

Comment

Froyo just barely rolled out for Google's own Nexus One this week. So I wouldn't say they're not keeping pace. Sprint is expected to roll it out for their phones in the next 6 months. I will only be concerned if Froyo gets out to the other carriers long before Sprint.

But to answer your question, unless you have a Nexus One, the only way to run Froyo right now otherwise is to have a rooted phone.
                            Sprint is notoriously slow for upgrading the OS. It took them 6-8 months to get a 2.x update for the HTC Hero after Google released Android 2.0.

There is a custom ROM for the Hero floating around already (in beta) based on Froyo. It is modified from the Nexus One release.

Comment

I am planning to get a Droid this fall, but I need someone to translate some of this thread out of techie. Rooted? Bricked? Thanks
                              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Working...
                              X