Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Cutting out Cable Thread (Internet TV!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See ya YouTube TV.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• yep. worse pricing than comcast, which now does all of the good shit yttv does anyway
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Yup. Too many other options out there to pay $65. Also, the way they did the price increase, “effective immediately” is too heavy handed for my taste. Screw Google.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          yep. worse pricing than comcast, which now does all of the good shit yttv does anyway
          Yeah, I was going to switch to PS Vue but they got out of the business... then I started thinking about YTTV and they now raise their prices. With no sports (except for the virtual stuff) on TV any more I think I will just get rid of cable and just stare at the wall. It all sucks anyway.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Barf. Jerks.

I don't care about 80% of these channels. How come we can't have an a la carte system?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              yep. worse pricing than comcast, which now does all of the good shit yttv does anyway
              Comcast still makes you lease their equipment, which adds up if you want to connect to more than one TV. Hooking up 3 TV’s with one DVR and two additional HD boxes adds $35. Then they charge additional fees for network TV, regional sports, etc. once you are ready to check out, the price has doubled from what you thought you were signing up for.

At least with YTTV Or Sling you can still use Roku, Firestick, SmartTV, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                Comcast still makes you lease their equipment, which adds up if you want to connect to more than one TV. Hooking up 3 TV’s with one DVR and two additional HD boxes adds $35. Then they charge additional fees for network TV, regional sports, etc. once you are ready to check out, the price has doubled from what you thought you were signing up for.

Yep, I'll stick with YTTV for now. However, I'm seriously considering just dropping live tv. With no sports, I don't think we've watched YTTV hardly at all over the past 3 months. My kids all watch Disney +, the free youtube, and Netflix. It's very rare they watch anythign on YTTV. I do wish for an ala carte version but it's clear something is stopping that from happening. I assume the larger companies are forcing the bundling of their stations?
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Yep, I'll stick with YTTV for now. However, I'm seriously considering just dropping live tv. With no sports, I don't think we've watched YTTV hardly at all over the past 3 months. My kids all watch Disney +, the free youtube, and Netflix. It's very rare they watch anythign on YTTV. I do wish for an ala carte version but it's clear something is stopping that from happening. I assume the larger companies are forcing the bundling of their stations?
                  my live YTTV viewing has been limited to golf the last three weeks and CNBC in my home office during the day. My wife watches the national news. That is about it.
                  Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

Xfinity Stream works on a Roku (in Beta) and you don't need Comcast gear. But it's still more expensive than the streamin options like Hulu/Sling/etc.

Comment

• I bailed on YTTV when it went to $50. $65 is a joke.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Barf. Jerks.

I don't care about 80% of these channels. How come we can't have an a la carte system?
                        Blame that on the actual content providers (Viacom, NBC, Disney, etc.). They're the ones that force the "bundling" and charge you for stupid channels you don't want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Barf. Jerks.

Because you need to subsidize ESPN and BYU football, you big dummy.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            I spent part of the afternoon looking at alternatives. There is no slam dunk good option. I will probably stick with YTTV for now, but keep weighing my options. I share it with my adult kids, so that takes away some of the sting of the cost.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• yeah i'll probably just make the moochers on my account pay their fair share. i suspect that's a loophole that will be closed soon, though.
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                                Blame that on the actual content providers (Viacom, NBC, Disney, etc.). They're the ones that force the "bundling" and charge you for stupid channels you don't want.
                                While this is correct, it still sucks. We have YTTV on pause right now. Between all the streaming options and our Tablo for OTA, we don't really need YTTV for content - there's plenty of other stuff to watch. You can pause it for 60 days and then it will come back on for a month during which you can set it to pause again, which doesn't lose any of your recordings. So we've been going 1 month on, 2 months off for the last several months. It seems like we've still been able to access recordings (maybe just VOD) for series that aired while the service was paused.

Of course, not satisfied with all the other entertainment options, my wife and son have been watching MTV's "The Challenge" together, and that is only available with some type of subscription. They had been watching it on the MTV streaming app on Roku, which was still programmed with our old DirecTV credentials. We haven't had DTV for over a year, and that access got shut off 2-3 weeks ago (wonder what took them so long). So they've had to find alternatives for accessing the shows while YTTV is paused - free trials, etc.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X