Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Cutting out Cable Thread (Internet TV!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I signed up for YouTube TV last night after it finally became available in Las Vegas. 3 of the 4 broadcast networks have signed on, so I get ABC, NBC and Fox locals. I already pay $5 a month for CBS live, so I'm covered for all the locals I want. The rest of the channels are the perfect mix for me. Lots of sports (all the ESPNs I want, FS1 and 2, BTN, Golf, CBS sports, NBC sports regional networks, etc.) and and all the cable channels I really care about (FX, FXX, TNT, AMC, TBS, etc.).

The best feature is the DVR. Its not really a DVR though, because I think Google just saves all the shows anyway and you just tell it which ones you want to include on your list. I set it to "record" You're the Worst, and the app said "hey, we've already got the first few episodes of this season, do you want to watch them?" Absolutely I do. The app works great on Android, and I'm sure it works well on Apple too.

The only downside is the lack of available devices. I want to watch it on my Roku and Fire TV, but those aren't available yet. However, they'll give you a free Chromcast when you sign up, so that's something. Plus, I can already cast YouTube TV to my smart TV downstairs.

Pretty excited.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
      I signed up for YouTube TV last night after it finally became available in Las Vegas. 3 of the 4 broadcast networks have signed on, so I get ABC, NBC and Fox locals. I already pay $5 a month for CBS live, so I'm covered for all the locals I want. The rest of the channels are the perfect mix for me. Lots of sports (all the ESPNs I want, FS1 and 2, BTN, Golf, CBS sports, NBC sports regional networks, etc.) and and all the cable channels I really care about (FX, FXX, TNT, AMC, TBS, etc.).

The best feature is the DVR. Its not really a DVR though, because I think Google just saves all the shows anyway and you just tell it which ones you want to include on your list. I set it to "record" You're the Worst, and the app said "hey, we've already got the first few episodes of this season, do you want to watch them?" Absolutely I do. The app works great on Android, and I'm sure it works well on Apple too.

The only downside is the lack of available devices. I want to watch it on my Roku and Fire TV, but those aren't available yet. However, they'll give you a free Chromcast when you sign up, so that's something. Plus, I can already cast YouTube TV to my smart TV downstairs.

Pretty excited.

How does it compare to AT&T's DirecTV Now streaming thing?

http://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/d...s-account.html

I noticed that Directv Now recently up'ed their DVR cloud storage from 100 hours to 6000 hours but that isn't unlimited like YouTube TV but should work for the most part.

I think if you have AT&T wireless on your phone they give you unlimited streaming of DirecTV Now over their cell network. Of course, that may only be on the iPhone because Android will most likely crash.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

I noticed that Directv Now recently up'ed their DVR cloud storage from 100 hours to 6000 hours but that isn't unlimited like YouTube TV but should work for the most part.

I think if you have AT&T wireless on your phone they give you unlimited streaming of DirecTV Now over their cell network. Of course, that may only be on the iPhone because Android will most likely crash.
        To get all the same sports channels, I think you'd have to go for the $60/mo option at DTV Now. Or at very least, the $50 option. You have to get the $60 one to get the Golf Channel, which is important tot me. You will get more channels overall than YouTube with either of those packages, and I know how important the Oxygen network is to you.

Plus, DTV Now only has ABC local. So, no NFL that way.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

To get all the same sports channels, I think you'd have to go for the $60/mo option at DTV Now. Or at very least, the $50 option. You have to get the $60 one to get the Golf Channel, which is important tot me. You will get more channels overall than YouTube with either of those packages, and I know how important the Oxygen network is to you.

Plus, DTV Now only has ABC local. So, no NFL that way.
          I was thinking for Live... for his (wife's) HGTV and Food Network.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Sling, Hulu and DirecTV now aren't good values compared to Playstation Vue. Youtube TV is competitive but the lack of device support is a big negative. Controlling your TV with your phone or a similar phone-like device (like on the Vizios with Smartcast) is a pain in the ass. That means you either need a Sony with Android TV or an Apple TV in order to have an actual remote with Youtube TV. Apple TV 32GB costs $150, a Roku or Fire Stick is $40.

Vue initially came out without Roku support, though it worked on the Fire TV/Stick. I'd be surprised if Youtube TV didn't eventually work on the Roku.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• you guys know that comcast offers all this shit in a convenient package for like $70 right?
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                you guys know that comcast offers all this shit in a convenient package for like $70 right?
                I only want it for like 3 or 4 months. Plus all the stupid boxes they want to rent me, plus charge me for HD, blah blah blah. No thanks.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I only want it for like 3 or 4 months. Plus all the stupid boxes they want to rent me, plus charge me for HD, blah blah blah. No thanks.
                  you'd rather switch between hulu, netflix, youtube, sling, directvnow, cbs and playstation vie on your roku, apple tv, firetv, chromecast and playstation?

Comment

you'd rather switch between hulu, netflix, youtube, sling, directvnow, cbs and playstation vie on your roku, apple tv, firetv, chromecast and playstation?
                    This is why I don't see myself joining this movement anytime soon. Everyone I know that has done it says they can get all the same options I have, but it seems like a lot of work for very little or no reward.
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Yeah, I guess I would.

I currently have Netflix, YouTube TV, CBS and Amazon Prime. I'm guessing you have two of the four, plus $120+ a month to Comcast.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        This is why I don't see myself joining this movement anytime soon. Everyone I know that has done it says they can get all the same options I have, but it seems like a lot of work for very little or no reward.
                        It's not that much work. It's actually pretty easy. switching between Hulu, netflix, youtube, etc. on a Roku is as simple as changing the channel on a TV with your remote. I get to watch what what I want to watch, when I want to watch it, for cheaper than when I was getting my TV through the cable company or satellite company.

So, yes - I would rather switch between things because it's simple. Even my 70 year old mom has a Roku and has cut the cable TV and loves it.

Comment

you guys know that comcast offers all this shit in a convenient package for like $70 right?
                          I have the highest package with (not counting premium channels) Directv and I get it for $75. The field is ripe for price haggling as they're scared to death of cord cutting. I recently had a dispute over my bill due to a miscommunication after I moved. My bill had suddenly risen from $75 to $120 just 6 months into a 2 year agreement, so I called and after a lot of fighting finally just said, "look, the cancellation fee doesn't deter me here, I'm going to quit over this. If you want to lose the next 18 months of my subscription to get that $300 then do your thing." They let me quit, but the next day I got a phone call and they "wanted to make things right". I told them there are just way too many better options out there and that $75/month was what their programming (highest package) was worth to me. They gave me that price on the spot and sent me a $200 visa gift card. You have to be willing to walk away to get their best prices, but they will give them to you.

My guess is that the cord cutting options will slowly rise in price and that the satellite and cable options will out of necessity slowly drop and that in a year or two they'll be just about the same price.

Comment

Yeah, I guess I would.

I currently have Netflix, YouTube TV, CBS and Amazon Prime. I'm guessing you have two of the four, plus $120+ a month to Comcast.
                            $130 of comcast after tax (tv+200mb interwebs ) and amazon prime but don't use it for streaming really.

Comment

$130 of comcast after tax (tv+200mb interwebs ) and amazon prime but don't use it for streaming really.
                              Can't believe you don't have Netflix. Still paying for cable and no Netflix, complaining about swapping between apps like you've never used a smartphone. Its like I don't even know who you are anymore.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• It will be interesting to see what ESPN packages are available from Disney and how much they cost when they come out next year.

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news...es-1202519917/

Right now, all I have is locals over the air, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. While my oldest son really misses the BYU games, I've been too busy to miss them that much. His friend has had him over for a few of the games. He came have his friend over since it is on ABC this week.

I used to get on the phone and haggle the cable/satellite companies but it really isn't worth my time. Currently I pay about $50/month for tv and internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X