A Major pet peeve in a restaurant

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • The Fourth Nephite
    Junior Member
    • Mar 2009
    • 781

    #1

    A Major pet peeve in a restaurant

    OK, the thread about kids on a plane made me think about a similar pet peeve of mine; out of control or untended kids in a restaurant.

    We do some people think it's OK to to let their kids cry in a restaurant? When my kids were little, if they cried in a restaurant, I took them outside until they stopped. Then we went back in. Sometimes, my wife would have to get a box for my food so I could eat at home.

    My kids learned fast, though. From a young age they have been very well-behaved at restaurants and other public facilities.

    A restaurant isn't like a plane. It's easy to step outside for a few minutes.

    On a somewhat related note, Utah is the only state where I've ever seen someone change a baby on a restaurant table. C'mon now, people. Ewww!
    "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #2
    If it's a family friendly place - like Outback - I don't have a problem with kids being kids. If folks choose to eat at places like that, they should expect that there could be kids there and if they don't want to deal with it, then eat someplace a lot more uppity.

    That said, I think parents should teach their kids to behave in a public setting. It's one thing for kids to be loud at the table/booth with their family, especially if the kids are young. But it's another thing entirely for kids to be running around and bothering other patrons.
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • Jarid in Cedar
      CS Institutional Memory
      • Jun 2009
      • 13234

      #3
      Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
      OK, the thread about kids on a plane made me think about a similar pet peeve of mine; out of control or untended kids in a restaurant.

      We do some people think it's OK to to let their kids cry in a restaurant? When my kids were little, if they cried in a restaurant, I took them outside until they stopped. Then we went back in. Sometimes, my wife would have to get a box for my food so I could eat at home.

      My kids learned fast, though. From a young age they have been very well-behaved at restaurants and other public facilities.

      A restaurant isn't like a plane. It's easy to step outside for a few minutes.

      On a somewhat related note, Utah is the only state where I've ever seen someone change a baby on a restaurant table. C'mon now, people. Ewww!

      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

      "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

      "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

      -Rick Majerus

      Comment

      • The Fourth Nephite
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2009
        • 781

        #4
        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
        If it's a family friendly place - like Outback - I don't have a problem with kids being kids. If folks choose to eat at places like that, they should expect that there could be kids there and if they don't want to deal with it, then eat someplace a lot more uppity.

        That said, I think parents should teach their kids to behave in a public setting. It's one thing for kids to be loud at the table/booth with their family, especially if the kids are young. But it's another thing entirely for kids to be running around and bothering other patrons.

        I'm not talking about the presence of kids. I'm talking about kids that are howling/crying/whining. I'm also not talking about restaurants that have a high noise level where the kids are just one of many noises. I'm talking kids that are crying, having temper tantrums, doing laps around the restaurant, etc.

        I'm not anti-kid at all, I just observe a lot of parents that do nothing to teach their kids proper manners. Or parents that act like the restaurant is just like the table in their home. If the kids are behaving badly, it's the parents fault for not teaching them.

        In all fairness, I see plenty of adults behaving badly. Cell phones can be an irritant when used improperly. Some people will yak away in a quiet restaurant on their cell in a voice 10 times higher than their normal conversation voice.
        "I'm going to go back to CUF now, where the censorship is less, the average IQ is higher, and we don't have to deal with so much of this nonsense. Goodbye." - SoonerCoug

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          Originally posted by The Fourth Nephite View Post
          I'm not talking about the presence of kids. I'm talking about kids that are howling/crying/whining. I'm also not talking about restaurants that have a high noise level where the kids are just one of many noises. I'm talking kids that are crying, having temper tantrums, doing laps around the restaurant, etc.

          I'm not anti-kid at all, I just observe a lot of parents that do nothing to teach their kids proper manners. Or parents that act like the restaurant is just like the table in their home. If the kids are behaving badly, it's the parents fault for not teaching them.

          In all fairness, I see plenty of adults behaving badly. Cell phones can be an irritant when used improperly. Some people will yak away in a quiet restaurant on their cell in a voice 10 times higher than their normal conversation voice.
          Understood.

          The bold part is reason #3 why I don't have a cell phone. It's my understanding that trying to emphasize one's importance by talking loudly is in all contracts with the providers, though I will concede that there is a very slight chance that I might possibly could be wrong. But I doubt it.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #6
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            Working...