Summer Work

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • old_gregg
    scaly man fish
    • Nov 2009
    • 16915

    #1

    Summer Work

    anybody have any advice for a clean cut byu student to make a little coin for tuition this summer? i've done some undesirable stuff in the past (commercial landscaping, digging irrigation ditches, etc.), but have also done some pretty cushy stuff as a legal clerk and credit union teller.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.
  • FN Phat
    I ♥ gateway sex
    • Feb 2009
    • 8691

    #2
    If you were in Western Kentucky, I could get you on as a union carpenter for the summer.
    I'm your huckleberry.


    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

    Comment

    • Art Vandelay
      Striving for mediocrity
      • Jul 2009
      • 10516

      #3
      Originally posted by camleish View Post
      anybody have any advice for a clean cut byu student to make a little coin for tuition this summer? i've done some undesirable stuff in the past (commercial landscaping, digging irrigation ditches, etc.), but have also done some pretty cushy stuff as a legal clerk and credit union teller.
      Get a construction job if you can. I did foundation work for a couple summers during college. I loved the fresh air, learning life long skills and it really was the last time I was able to get outside and do something everyday. The other added benefit was I knew I wasn't tough enough to do it for the rest of my life and it made me study even harder when I returned to school.

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #4
        do you think that's possible for a skinny white kid with no particularly useful skills?
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          Originally posted by camleish View Post
          do you think that's possible for a skinny white kid with no particularly useful skills?
          You could work as an intern for the Utah State Legislature.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #6
            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
            You could work as an intern for the Utah State Legislature.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27877

              #7
              Originally posted by camleish View Post
              do you think that's possible for a skinny white kid with no particularly useful skills?
              You should apply to the honor code office. It would be nice to have a mole in there.

              What skills really do you have? I worked for BYU intramurals for a couple years and also picked up random accounting jobs to supplement the hours. If you moved to Texas you can mow my lawn for $25 a week.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #8
                Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                You should apply to the honor code office. It would be nice to have a mole in there.

                What skills really do you have? I worked for BYU intramurals for a couple years and also picked up random accounting jobs to supplement the hours. If you moved to Texas you can mow my lawn for $25 a week.
                How big is your lawn? Shoot, I'd mow it for $25/week if I lived in Texas.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • Moliere
                  One man.....one pie
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 27877

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  How big is your lawn? Shoot, I'd mow it for $25/week if I lived in Texas.
                  Keep in mind that mowing a lawn in July and August in Texas is not ideal. I have to get it done before 10am or else it just isn't going to happen that week. That price also includes edging and weeding, which isn't too much more work

                  Seriously some people pay more than $25 a week for lawn care down here. You can make a decent business out of it, especially if you are a semi-resposible person with the tools.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                  Comment

                  • Maximus
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 6017

                    #10
                    Originally posted by camleish View Post
                    anybody have any advice for a clean cut byu student to make a little coin for tuition this summer? i've done some undesirable stuff in the past (commercial landscaping, digging irrigation ditches, etc.), but have also done some pretty cushy stuff as a legal clerk and credit union teller.
                    Pest control sales!

                    I can hook you up with 100k+!

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37975

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                      Pest control sales!

                      I can hook you up with 100k+!
                      And you can live in my ward. There are always pest control and security system guys living in my ward in the summer.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Maximus
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 6017

                        #12
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        And you can live in my ward. There are always pest control and security system guys living in my ward in the summer.
                        texas? I guess it is everywhere

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37975

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                          texas? I guess it is everywhere
                          Las Vegas. 20 different varieties of cockroach.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Maximus
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 6017

                            #14
                            IN a related note, I have signed on for a 2nd year to sell pest control. I know I will hate it, the only reason it was bearable last summer was because I did it with a good friend. I am doing it solo this year. I would have to pay back 500 bucks to not do it (part of the incentives they gave me to come back) and of course I would make less money working here and going to school.

                            What say yea?

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37975

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              IN a related note, I have signed on for a 2nd year to sell pest control. I know I will hate it, the only reason it was bearable last summer was because I did it with a good friend. I am doing it solo this year. I would have to pay back 500 bucks to not do it (part of the incentives they gave me to come back) and of course I would make less money working here and going to school.

                              What say yea?
                              Are you doing it in Texas? I actually bought pest control from a door to door kid. At first I just felt bad for the dude, but now I count it as a great service. We are literally bug free, and that's no small thing in Vegas in the Summer.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              Working...