why don't people ever get fired?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #1

    why don't people ever get fired?

    We have this woman in an autism classroom at the school where I work. Her attendance this year (at best) has been 80%. Maybe 75%. As a consequence of her last-minute absence today, the classroom was short-staffed and a kid in the class got hurt. Apparently her excessive absenteeism has gone like this on for years. How can she still have a job? You'd think they'd get rid of her for liability's sake if nothing else.

    I hear people all the time (usually complaining about co-workers) tell me, "it's nearly impossible to fire anybody anymore." Why??
  • CJF
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 8497

    #2
    eh. I fire people all the time.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

    Comment

    • Eddie
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 8098

      #3
      People can get fired at my place of work too.

      They have a chance to fix their issues and make it work, if it doesn't they are sent on their way.

      Comment

      • Babs
        Not a Lawyer
        • Nov 2008
        • 17128

        #4
        I'm actually morbidly curious to see if she still has a job on Monday. You'd think a kid getting hurt would be the proverbial nail in the vocational coffin.

        Comment

        • beelzebabette
          Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
          • Nov 2008
          • 2907

          #5
          Originally posted by Babs View Post
          I'm actually morbidly curious to see if she still has a job on Monday. You'd think a kid getting hurt would be the proverbial nail in the vocational coffin.
          Given where you work, I expect it will still depend on her reason for the absence (sickness vs laziness).

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #6
            Originally posted by Babs View Post
            We have this woman in an autism classroom at the school where I work. Her attendance this year (at best) has been 80%. Maybe 75%. As a consequence of her last-minute absence today, the classroom was short-staffed and a kid in the class got hurt. Apparently her excessive absenteeism has gone like this on for years. How can she still have a job? You'd think they'd get rid of her for liability's sake if nothing else.

            I hear people all the time (usually complaining about co-workers) tell me, "it's nearly impossible to fire anybody anymore." Why??
            Is she a member of the teachers union?
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • FN Phat
              I ♥ gateway sex
              • Feb 2009
              • 8691

              #7
              Unfortunately I fire about 2-3 people per month. It used to effect me but I am becoming numb to it now and my boss sends people to me to discipline and terminate.
              I'm your huckleberry.


              "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

              Comment

              • Babs
                Not a Lawyer
                • Nov 2008
                • 17128

                #8
                Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                Is she a member of the teachers union?
                we're not a union district.

                Comment

                • il Padrino Ute
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19161

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Babs View Post
                  we're not a union district.
                  Perhaps she's a bully and people are afraid of her?

                  The principal shouldn't accept such laziness, especially in that classroom. The threat of a lawsuit just might get her fired now.
                  "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                  "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37987

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Babs View Post
                    we're not a union district.
                    But its still the school district. Seems like its much harder to fire government employees than public sector employees.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • beefytee
                      Board eye candy
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 7542

                      #11
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      But its still the school district. Seems like its much harder to fire government employees than public sector employees.
                      Forgive the ignorance.

                      What is the difference between government employees and public sector employees?

                      Comment

                      • SeattleUte
                        Faith crisis consultant
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 20837

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        We have this woman in an autism classroom at the school where I work. Her attendance this year (at best) has been 80%. Maybe 75%. As a consequence of her last-minute absence today, the classroom was short-staffed and a kid in the class got hurt. Apparently her excessive absenteeism has gone like this on for years. How can she still have a job? You'd think they'd get rid of her for liability's sake if nothing else.

                        I hear people all the time (usually complaining about co-workers) tell me, "it's nearly impossible to fire anybody anymore." Why??
                        we fire people.
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                        --Jonathan Swift

                        Comment

                        • BigFatMeanie
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7115

                          #13
                          Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                          Forgive the ignorance.

                          What is the difference between government employees and public sector employees?
                          Some possible reasons:

                          1. Government employees are unionized in a higher percentage than private workforce employees.

                          2. States put specific policies in place to make firing government employees more difficult. The idea is that this is a protection to the taxpayer as otherwise you could possibly get a firing/hiring surge with every election result. It's designed to make the rank and file government employee base more immune to the ever-changing political winds. I don't know if it really works that well or not but many states specifically craft regulations on government employees for this reason.

                          Comment

                          • beelzebabette
                            Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 2907

                            #14
                            Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                            1. Government employees are unionized in a higher percentage than private workforce employees.
                            I think he was just asking if falafalalel meant private sector rather than public sector.

                            Comment

                            • John McClain
                              Comfortably Numb
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 1012

                              #15
                              Federal employees have certain employment rights under Title 5 of the Code of Federal Regulations, so they generally can't be fired without following certain steps. Many states have similar statutes for their employees, as do many school districts. Most private sector employers will take advantage of the employment at will doctrine if their state allows it. I advise my private sector employer clients to exercise caution and wisdom, but inform them that generally, they can fire people so long as they don't violate the law or public policy. Conversely, I represent federal employees who have been fired or are about to be fired with some frequency because the law provides rights to these employees that private sector employees just don't have.
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              Working...