Heading to Vegas this weekend

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Drunk Tank
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 2569

    #1

    Heading to Vegas this weekend

    A contractor that I work with is going to Vegas with his business partners ad a few clients this weekend for the Nascar races. He had a cancellation at the last moment and invited me to go. All expenses paid! His plans originally included golf one of the days, but he hurt his back, so no plans for golf now. I have never been to a Nascar race, and I am not a huge fan, but it should be fun. I'd almost be willing to sjip one of the races to go golfing, but that would probabbly be rude.

    DH and others, my contractor friend wants to take everyone out for sushi one night. Whats a good place?
    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III
  • Donuthole
    Official Outgayer
    • Nov 2008
    • 25274

    #2
    Todai, RA (pronounced Raw), Nobu, and Sushi Samba are a few of the most popular places. Makinos is one of the more popular all-you-can-eat places, but it's not nearly as fancy as those other places.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

    Comment

    • Drunk Tank
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 2569

      #3
      Is Makinos good quality? My experience with all you can eat places vary greatly. I seem to recall an all you can eat place in the Rio, or am I imagining things?
      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25274

        #4
        Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
        Is Makinos good quality? My experience with all you can eat places vary greatly. I seem to recall an all you can eat place in the Rio, or am I imagining things?
        There is an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet in the Rio that has sushi, but it's garbage. Makino's is much better than that. I think Makinos is really good, actually, particularly if you go to the one on Decatur (not the one in the Outlet Mall). It's just not as trendy as some of the other places. But the sushi is made right there in front of you (as it should be in any quality sushi bar).
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • Drunk Tank
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 2569

          #5
          Cool, the guys I am going with are all red-necks so trendy isnt all important. As long as they have good sushi, sake and beer, they will be happy.
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

          Comment

          • Art Vandelay
            Striving for mediocrity
            • Jul 2009
            • 10516

            #6
            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            There is an all-you-can-eat seafood buffet in the Rio that has sushi, but it's garbage. Makino's is much better than that. I think Makinos is really good, actually, particularly if you go to the one on Decatur (not the one in the Outlet Mall). It's just not as trendy as some of the other places. But the sushi is made right there in front of you (as it should be in any quality sushi bar).
            I usually hit Todai every year I'm down there for the MWC since it offers so much more than sushi for those in my group who prefer shrimp, crab legs, or crepes (that always cracks me up). How does Makinos compare to Todai?

            Comment

            • Fiyero
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 5266

              #7
              If Vegas RA is the same RA that's in San Diego gaslamp, it is a fan favorite. Mmm!!

              Comment

              • Donuthole
                Official Outgayer
                • Nov 2008
                • 25274

                #8
                Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                I usually hit Todai every year I'm down there for the MWC since it offers so much more than sushi for those in my group who prefer shrimp, crab legs, or crepes (that always cracks me up). How does Makinos compare to Todai?
                I've never been to Todai or Ra. Nobu is good, but I prefer the value at Makinos, and I think the quality is just as good. I've only eaten at Sushi Samba (pricey!) because a former receptionist works there and occasionally gets me deals.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                Comment

                • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                  Time to camp
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26082

                  #9
                  Sounds fun, I wish I was going. I'm still trying to swing a couple days for the MWC tourney, but it isn't looking good.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

                  Comment

                  • Drunk Tank
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2569

                    #10
                    Well, I had a pretty fun time. We ended up at a place called Hikari Japanese Steakhouse on S. Buffalo Drive on the recommendation of a bartender at The Orleans. We skipped Makino's because not everyone wanted sushi and Hikari has teppan tables . I would have to rate it 3/5 stars. The sushi/sashimi was great and they had all you can eat. The rolls were lackluster. The Teppan show was less than spectacular, but the group of guys I was with were all drunk so they enjoyed it.

                    After dinner the first night, we all crammed into a stretch limo and hit the town. We ended up at Fremont street just in time for a free Foghat concert. It was super crowded, but the concert was good even though the drummer is the only remaining original member of the band.

                    Saturday, I froze my ass off at the Nationwide series race, but it was cool to see Kevin Harvick win, since he is from Bakersfield. After dinner Saturday and hanging out, I decided to play a $5 slot machine in the high roller room before bed, and won $750 on my first pull. I ended up winning another $300 from that machine Sunday, but lost it at the tables.

                    Sunday was great weather and I had a great time at the race. I bet on J. Johnson (4-1) and K. Harvick(8-1) to win sunday, and they finished 1-2, so I was happy about that.

                    Overall I had a great time, but would have loved to been able to golf. Maybe next time I can get together with DH and Falafel to hit the links.
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 38001

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                      Overall I had a great time, but would have loved to been able to golf. Maybe next time I can get together with DH and Falafel to hit the links.
                      You went all the way to Buffalo for teppanyaki? Huh. Sounds like it wasn't too bad though.

                      Golf sounds like fun.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Art Vandelay
                        Striving for mediocrity
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 10516

                        #12
                        Most of my itinerary is planned for my annual Vegas trip. Unfortunately I have to go to lunch with a couple of posers (one even attended the U, but claims to be a BYU fan) on Thursday but other that it should be fun. I will likely play golf once or twice and watch a lot of basketball. What shows or other entertainment (that doesn't involve nudity or putting quarters in a machine) do you Vegas experts recommend?

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 38001

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                          Most of my itinerary is planned for my annual Vegas trip. Unfortunately I have to go to lunch with a couple of posers (one even attended the U, but claims to be a BYU fan) on Thursday but other that it should be fun. I will likely play golf once or twice and watch a lot of basketball. What shows or other entertainment (that doesn't involve nudity or putting quarters in a machine) do you Vegas experts recommend?
                          Sorry, I was away from my computer this morning.

                          I'm not a huge go-see-shows kinda guy, since they're usually pretty expensive and we've still got little kids (i.e. babysitter required). However, I have seen Ka, Love and O of the Cirque variety. Ka was my favorite, but that may have been because it was the first one i saw and I had the best seats at that one. My wife thought O was the best. Love was also good, but not as good as those too. I would also like to see Jersey Boys. I've heard great stuff about it.

                          I've never seen any of the other Vegas-type shows, e.g. Blue Man Group, Gordie Brown (now at the Golden Nugget - what a demotion!), Terry Fator, Penn & Teller, etc. And strangely, I don't know anyone who has seen them either.

                          Sorry, I'm sure this wasn't much help.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Green Lantern
                            Has overcome great fear
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 2289

                            #14
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Sorry, I was away from my computer this morning.

                            I'm not a huge go-see-shows kinda guy, since they're usually pretty expensive and we've still got little kids (i.e. babysitter required). However, I have seen Ka, Love and O of the Cirque variety. Ka was my favorite, but that may have been because it was the first one i saw and I had the best seats at that one. My wife thought O was the best. Love was also good, but not as good as those too. I would also like to see Jersey Boys. I've heard great stuff about it.

                            I've never seen any of the other Vegas-type shows, e.g. Blue Man Group, Gordie Brown (now at the Golden Nugget - what a demotion!), Terry Fator, Penn & Teller, etc. And strangely, I don't know anyone who has seen them either.

                            Sorry, I'm sure this wasn't much help.
                            You can't go wrong with any of the Cirque shows listed above by Falafel. Le Reve is also pretty spectacular (especially if you have any Vegas friends who can hook you up with the local ticket specials.) Jersey Boys is a lot of fun too (but definitely "rated R" for language if that's a consideration.)
                            Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                            None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                            I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                            --Portland Ute

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #15
                              I liked Blue man group. My wife didn't. Ka, O, La reve are all good. Jersey boys was enjoyable, even with the language.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              Working...