Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Jan. 27 launch event... what will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    82% of the teens own iPhones. These are the cool kids. 84% say they want to be a cool kid and their next phone will be an iPhone.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...jaffray-2018-4

Don't ruin your teenager's life and buy them a lame android phone.
    These kids also eat Tide Pods.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• I got the AirPods I helped make fun of when they came out. They are awesome.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
        I got the AirPods I helped make fun of when they came out. They are awesome.
        Did you hear that, JL?
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Did you hear that, JL?
          Good for commando. I am going to pass. Still not interested in paying $200 to look like a huge f***ing dork.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Good for commando. I am going to pass. Still not interested in paying $200 to look like a huge f***ing dork.
            No kidding. I can do that for free.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              No kidding. I can do that for free.
              Me too!
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• lol. I don't know what I look like-it couldn't be worse than usual. The headphones' function, ease of use, and slickness of design surprised me, though.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• i’ve been playing this fun game where i take the car out late at night and see how many nerds wearing earpods i can run down
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    i’ve been playing this fun game where i take the car out late at night and see how many nerds wearing earpods i can run down
                    What's your personal record so far?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• iOS 11.4 Disables Lightning Connector After 7 Days, Limiting Law Enforcement Access

The iOS 11.4 update, currently being beta tested, includes a USB Restricted Mode that introduces a week-long expiration date on access to the Lightning port on your iOS devices if your phone hasn't been unlocked, which has implications for law enforcement tools like the GrayKey box.

USB Restricted Mode was outlined this morning by Elcomsoft after testing confirmed that the feature has indeed been enabled. In Elcomsoft's experience, after an iPhone or iPad has been updated to iOS 11.4, if it hasn't been unlocked or connected to a paired computer in the last 7 days using a passcode, the Lightning port is useless for data access and limited to charging.

[...]
                      https://www.macrumors.com/2018/05/08...campaign=front

FBI/CIA/NSA/TSA :moon: <--- Spy on this!
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• SO I have lived with an iphone X for a while and have a couple of thoughts:

1. Face recognition is nnot so great. I would prefer to have the fingerprint sensor. I cant unblock surreptitiously; it sometimes has a problem in very bright light; unlike OG, I have noit fond that it offers a speed advantage and, unless you turn off the "require attention" feature it, it is often slower and requires full attention and orientqation. Its ok, but it feels too much like a gimmick.

2. I hate--HATE--the lack of a headphone jack. Living with it has not made it better.

3. The phone is very fast and works great. Other than items one and two the phone is awesome.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          SO I have lived with an iphone X for a while and have a couple of thoughts:

1. Face recognition is nnot so great. I would prefer to have the fingerprint sensor. I cant unblock surreptitiously; it sometimes has a problem in very bright light; unlike OG, I have noit fond that it offers a speed advantage and, unless you turn off the "require attention" feature it, it is often slower and requires full attention and orientqation. Its ok, but it feels too much like a gimmick.

2. I hate--HATE--the lack of a headphone jack. Living with it has not made it better.

3. The phone is very fast and works great. Other than items one and two the phone is awesome.
                          I'll probably end up with one this summer. I'm not looking forward to it for the reasons you listed.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            SO I have lived with an iphone X for a while and have a couple of thoughts:

The thing I don't like about the face recognition is I have to look at it. That requires me to hold the phone up if I am busy looking at something else usually. This can be a problem if I am driving down the road in California given it is against the law to use your smartphone while driving. I would rather unlock it out of sight where no one (especially the cops) can see me do it.

The lack of a headphone jack is not a biggie, IMO. I have bluetooth in my car and an HomePod (awesome sound, BTW) in my office. My stereo in my living room also understands bluetooth. And my noise canceling headphones for the plane are also bluetooth. I never need to plug headphones in. It is the 21st century and things are wireless.

I really like the wireless charging. Use it all the time. It is great to just lay the phone down to charge it. The 21st century is awesome.

My grandson loves when I send an Animoji iMessage. I think he loves the chicken the best. He won't give back his mom's iPhone for hours after I sent him one and will play it over and over again. (I need to get him his own iPhone.)

What I really like about the iPhone X is the screen. All 5.8 inches of it. It has a bigger screen that the iPhone 8 Plus (5.5 inches) but in a smaller phone form factor. I liked the bigger screen on my old plus but love the larger screen on the X but on a smaller phone for my pocket.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The thing I don't like about the face recognition is I have to look at it. That requires me to hold the phone up if I am busy looking at something else usually. This can be a problem if I am driving down the road in California given it is against the law to use your smartphone while driving. I would rather unlock it out of sight where no one (especially the cops) can see me do it.

The lack of a headphone jack is not a biggie, IMO. I have bluetooth in my car and an HomePod (awesome sound, BTW) in my office. My stereo in my living room also understands bluetooth. And my noise canceling headphones for the plane are also bluetooth. I never need to plug headphones in. It is the 21st century and things are wireless.

I really like the wireless charging. Use it all the time. It is great to just lay the phone down to charge it. The 21st century is awesome.

My grandson loves when I send an Animoji iMessage. I think he loves the chicken the best. He won't give back his mom's iPhone for hours after I sent him one and will play it over and over again. (I need to get him his own iPhone.)

What I really like about the iPhone X is the screen. All 5.8 inches of it. It has a bigger screen that the iPhone 8 Plus (5.5 inches) but in a smaller phone form factor. I liked the bigger screen on my old plus but love the larger screen on the X but on a smaller phone for my pocket.
                              I can't figure out why they didn't include a fingerprint sensor. I think we're ("we" generally -- both Apple and Android, I'm not an iPhone guy at all) now on our fourth generation sensors and they're great compared to the first gen. The sensor on my Pixel 2 XL is great and I strongly recommend the placement on the back. The sensor even allows for swiping up and down to access notifications and the quick settings.

One thing I don't understand is the desire and/or rush to put a fingerprint sensor under the screen itself. The placement on the back is ideal, you can just naturally turn it on when you pick up and handle the phone. I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes up with either a larger sensor or places the sensor within a slightly larger area that acts as a mini-touchpad on the back of the phone that allows you to scroll through webpages/twitter vertically and pictures, docs, videos horizontally.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                                I can't figure out why they didn't include a fingerprint sensor. I think we're ("we" generally -- both Apple and Android, I'm not an iPhone guy at all) now on our fourth generation sensors and they're great compared to the first gen. The sensor on my Pixel 2 XL is great and I strongly recommend the placement on the back. The sensor even allows for swiping up and down to access notifications and the quick settings.

One thing I don't understand is the desire and/or rush to put a fingerprint sensor under the screen itself. The placement on the back is ideal, you can just naturally turn it on when you pick up and handle the phone. I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes up with either a larger sensor or places the sensor within a slightly larger area that acts as a mini-touchpad on the back of the phone that allows you to scroll through webpages/twitter vertically and pictures, docs, videos horizontally.
                                It is about security... Face ID is like 20 times more secure than Touch ID. Also, if your eyes are closed it won't unlock (e.g., you have to be awake). In general it is very hard to spoof (1 in 1,000,000 chance that a random face will unlock it). On the other hand, it seems fingerprint scanners are getting spoofed all the time. Apple wants to keep your private information on your iPhone private.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X