Car DVD players

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #1

    Car DVD players

    My wife wants a DVD player in her car.

    Any suggestions on make/model? What do these things cost? Also, do they have them with wireless headphones for the kids? Can you listen to the radio or CD while they are watching a movie?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #2
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    My wife wants a DVD player in her car.

    Any suggestions on make/model? What do these things cost? Also, do they have them with wireless headphones for the kids? Can you listen to the radio or CD while they are watching a movie?
    Its not a very goodf idea when you're driving. I would discourage her.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

    Comment

    • Coach McGuirk
      1
      • Nov 2008
      • 12109

      #3
      We have the factory model for the Odyssey. I like that one, cant recommend a after market model.

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #4
        For the same price as an installed model, you could buy each of your kids their own laptop model with personal headphones at Walmart.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #5
          Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          We have the factory model for the Odyssey. I like that one, cant recommend a after market model.
          I was thinking of doing that, but you cant residualize the DVD player, so might as well buy it aftermarket for much less.

          Did you guys go overhead install or in the headrest? We have 3 little dudes, so rather than buying 3 screens, I was just going to put one decent sized one overhead and buy them the wireless headphones.
          Last edited by TripletDaddy; 01-09-2009, 08:49 PM.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #6
            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            My wife wants a DVD player in her car.

            Any suggestions on make/model? What do these things cost? Also, do they have them with wireless headphones for the kids? Can you listen to the radio or CD while they are watching a movie?
            Lots of different brands out there, ours came built into our POS minivan. Yes they come with headphones, if not I would likely not be posting as I would have driven into the side of a mountain.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #7
              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
              For the same price as an installed model, you could buy each of your kids their own laptop model with personal headphones at Walmart.
              we've thought about that, but the problem is that when you are driving, they are all going to have problems...."mom, can you change the volume, can you press menu, etc...." it is easier to have the main controls right there by the driver and they just watch what is on the screen. they just turned 4, so they are not quite sophisticated enough to handle all their own electronics just yet. By the time they are 5 or 6, probably, but not quite yet.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • Coach McGuirk
                1
                • Nov 2008
                • 12109

                #8
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I was thinking of doing that, but you cant residualize the DVD player, so might as well buy it aftermarket for much less.

                Did you guys go overhead install or in the headrest? We have 3 little dudes, so rather than buying 3 screens, I was just going to put one decent sized one overhead and buy them the wireless headphones.

                It is a 9 inch screen, middle mount. Came with 4 wireless headphones. It is great for long trips. I like the factory because of the integration into the stereo unit. We can have our music and they can rock The Incredibles. But I am sure that they can get an aftermarket one to integrate the same.

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  It is a 9 inch screen, middle mount. Came with 4 wireless headphones. It is great for long trips. I like the factory because of the integration into the stereo unit. We can have our music and they can rock The Incredibles. But I am sure that they can get an aftermarket one to integrate the same.
                  that is exactly what I am looking for. the integration is key.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • SteelBlue
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 8189

                    #10
                    We bought one with 2 screens that have straps that go around any headrest. One of the screens is the actual player and there is of course a connection to an adapter required. Our van has them all over so the kids can watch from the different seats as needed. We usually leave it boxed up in the closet and mostly use it for trips. The kids get enough tv as it is.

                    Comment

                    • marsupial
                      Mississippi Queen
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 3678

                      #11
                      "I am going on a picnic..."

                      Out-of-state license plate game

                      Slug bug

                      Shut the hell up and no we're not there yet.
                      What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
                      -Teenage Dirtbag

                      Comment

                      • il Padrino Ute
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19161

                        #12
                        Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                        "I am going on a picnic..."

                        Out-of-state license plate game

                        Slug bug

                        Shut the hell up and no we're not there yet.
                        Great suggestions. A few more:

                        Do you want me to just turn around and go home?

                        Don't make me come back there.

                        If I have to pull over to the side of the road...

                        THe
                        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #13
                          Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                          "I am going on a picnic..."

                          Out-of-state license plate game

                          Slug bug

                          Shut the hell up and no we're not there yet.
                          Those are good. Here are a few more:

                          If I have to pull over to the side of the road...

                          Don't make me come back there.

                          Do you want me to turn around and go home?
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • landpoke
                            Never once baby snatched
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 4183

                            #14
                            We've had good luck with Audiovox.
                            There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                            Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                            Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                            Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                            …
                            Tomorrow is Saturday
                            And Sunday comes afterwards

                            Comment

                            Working...