Award show: 2008

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pelagius
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5288

    #1

    Award show: 2008

    We need to have year end awards for 2008. This year we will do it for the combined cuf/guard universe.

    I was thinking we should call them the Riva-Rocci awards.

    At this point I thought we should generate some categories:

    1) Poster of the year
    2) Newcomer of the year
    3) Unsung hero
    3) Best thread (sports and non-sports?)
    4) Best post
    5) Best thing about cuf/guard in 2008.
    6) Worst thing about cuf/guard in 2008

    Suggestions?

    Once the categories are determined we can do nominations.
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69689

    #2
    Best non-byu/utah poster.
    Best non-lds poster.
    Wittiest poster.
    Poster we would most like to see join us.
    Sexiest poster.
    Best poster named after a character from a Coen Brothers movie.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • RobinFinderson
      Banned
      • Nov 2008
      • 10548

      #3
      I was thinking about this very thing before I headed out to Utah and fell off the map for a week.

      Two suggestions:

      1. You will need a 'best poetry' category to accommodate the Finderson ABC's poem.

      2. The awards should be called "The Golden Cuffs"

      Comment

      • myboynoah
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 21719

        #4
        Mormon of the Year
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

        For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

        Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

        Comment

        • pelagius
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 5288

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Best non-byu/utah poster.
          Best non-lds poster.
          Wittiest poster.
          Poster we would most like to see join us.
          Those are good.

          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Sexiest poster.
          Dangerous! What if Utestar isn't nominated?

          Comment

          • pelagius
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 5288

            #6
            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
            I was thinking about this very thing before I headed out to Utah and fell off the map for a week.

            Two suggestions:

            1. You will need a 'best poetry' category to accommodate the Finderson ABC's poem.
            I'm pretty sure we want to avoid award ghettoization ... if its good enough then it needs to stand on its own in the best post or wittiest post cat.

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #7
              Let's call them The Cuffies.

              "This year's Cuffy for best post goes to ....."

              Other categories:

              The Louvre Award: goes to Best Avatar
              The Jenny Craig Award: goes to the least healthy poster (judged by BMI/cholesterol)
              The Brothers Grimm Award: goes to Best Troll
              The Stalker Award: goes to poster most want to meet in real life
              The Tex Two-Step: goes to the most predictable poster
              The $%#@! Award: goes to best single use of profanity
              The Bruce R McConkie Award: goes to best religious post
              The Paul H Dunn Award: goes to the most egregious misstatement/bad prediction of the year
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • cougjunkie
                *Banned*
                • Nov 2008
                • 23223

                #8
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                Let's call them The Cuffies.

                "This year's Cuffy for best post goes to ....."

                Other categories:

                The Louvre Award: goes to Best Avatar
                The Jenny Craig Award: goes to the least healthy poster (judged by BMI/cholesterol)
                The Brothers Grimm Award: goes to Best Troll
                The Stalker Award: goes to poster most want to meet in real life
                The Tex Two-Step: goes to the most predictable poster
                The $%#@! Award: goes to best single use of profanity
                The Bruce R McConkie Award: goes to best religious post
                The Paul H Dunn Award: goes to the most egregious misstatement/bad prediction of the year

                For some reason I see Seattle Ute taking almost all of these categories.
                *Banned*

                Comment

                • pelagius
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5288

                  #9
                  The Cuffies

                  Poster Awards
                  ----------------------------
                  1) Poster of the year
                  2) Wittiest Poster
                  3) Most Thoughtful Poster
                  4) Newcomer of the Year
                  6) Best Gentile Poster
                  7) Poster You Would Most Like to See Join CUF
                  8) Best Troll
                  9) Poster You would Most Like to Meet in Real Life

                  Post Based Awards
                  --------------------
                  10) Best Sports Thread
                  11) Best Non-Sports Thread
                  12) Funniest Thread
                  13) Best Sports Post
                  15) Best Non-Sport Post
                  16) Funniest Post
                  17) Best Single Use of Profanity

                  Misc
                  -------------------
                  18) Best Avatar
                  19) Unsung Hero
                  20) Best Thing About CUF/Guard in 2008.
                  21) Worst Thing About CUF/Guard in 2008


                  Anymore suggested additions? Any objections to the current list?
                  Last edited by pelagius; 01-08-2009, 05:10 PM.

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #10
                    What is the criteria for Unsung Hero?
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • pelagius
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5288

                      #11
                      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      What is the criteria for Unsung Hero?
                      Purposely vague ... Just whoever you think is underappreciated or relatively under recognized in terms of his or her contribution to the board or community.

                      Comment

                      • pelagius
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5288

                        #12
                        Probably shoud have a "Best Signature Award" too.

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #13
                          I see you intentionally excluded "Most Worthless Poster".

                          I'll assume it's because I would win it all the time.

                          Go ahead and call it the il Padrino Ute Award and make me ineligbable.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • pelagius
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5288

                            #14
                            Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            I see you intentionally excluded "Most Worthless Poster".

                            I'll assume it's because I would win it all the time.

                            Go ahead and call it the il Padrino Ute Award and make me ineligbable.
                            I think you under estimate the competition for that award.

                            No doubt it is my apologetic nature to whitewash history
                            but I was planning on only doing categories the award positive achievements.

                            Comment

                            • creekster
                              It is NOT a monkey!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22661

                              #15
                              TO tell you the truth, that is a lot of categories. Looks like a lot of back-slapping, too. It would proabbyl take professor of finance to keep track of all the votes and stuff, right?
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                              Comment

                              Working...