Science experiments with the kids.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cowboy
    Homer Weems
    • Dec 2008
    • 5740

    #1

    Science experiments with the kids.

    I like to do stuff with my kids that teaches them basic science. Last night was fire. We talked about fire needing heat, air, and fuel, and we used a candle and matches to demonstrate. Then I used a toy truck and a ramp to explain how the truck (log) will roll down hill (burn on its own) if it is rolled the top of the ramp (heated) and let go (exposed to air.)

    The kids love stuff like that. My 5-year-old asked for another "experiment" tonight - specifically requesting an experiment involving spirits. I told him his mother could handle that one since it's her turn. She informed me that she's not holding a seance, to which I replied that it's all in the name of science.

    I'm thinking about explaining how ships float next time. What stuff do you do with your kids to demonstrate scientific principles?
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924
  • Katy Lied
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 9435

    #2
    "Oh, you mean spirits as in Ghosts? I thought you meant spirits as in alcohol!"

    Then you make cherries jubilee, igniting the brandy and flambeing the cherry sauce, pointing out why the flame is a deep blue, why the brandy ignites, and that the flame is de-naturing the alcohol, making it suitable for an LDS dessert.

    If you do this for FHE, you can also remind your kids of the WOW.



    Something I've always wanted to do, though I dont have the gear. I have always wanted to douse a tumbleweed with gasoline, stand 40 feet back, and shoot flaming arrows at it. I'm sure you could turn this into a "science experiment."
    Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM.

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #3
      Originally posted by cowboy View Post
      I'm thinking about explaining how ships float next time. What stuff do you do with your kids to demonstrate scientific principles?
      I think the extent of our home laboratory work with our kids is playing "Will it float?" and have them throw stuff into the bathtub to find out if they were right or not.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • LiveCoug
        LA Ute loves me
        • Nov 2008
        • 18489

        #4
        I'm glad you wrote "with" and not "on" in your subject line.

        Comment

        • marsupial
          Mississippi Queen
          • Nov 2008
          • 3678

          #5
          I threw my son a science birthday party for his 8th birthday. It was our best birthday party yet. The kids had a blast. We made baking soda bombs, gak from Borax and glue and then each kid got a 2 liter of coke and a pack of Mentos to recreate the Mentos explosion that was a Youtube hit awhile back.
          What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
          -Teenage Dirtbag

          Comment

          • cowboy
            Homer Weems
            • Dec 2008
            • 5740

            #6
            Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
            "Oh, you mean spirits as in Ghosts? I thought you meant spirits as in alcohol!"

            Then you make cherries jubilee, igniting the brandy and flambeing the cherry sauce, pointing out why the flame is a deep blue, why the brandy ignites, and that the flame is de-naturing the alcohol, making it suitable for an LDS dessert.

            If you do this for FHE, you can also remind your kids of the WOW.



            Something I've always wanted to do, though I dont have the gear. I have always wanted to douse a tumbleweed with gasoline, stand 40 feet back, and shoot flaming arrows at it. I'm sure you could turn this into a "science experiment."
            I try to avoid demonstrating the flammability of gas to my children. That's an adult science experiment, variations of which have been performed a number of times. I like where you're going with the brandy idea - unfortunately I live in a home where 50% of the household management considers alcohol an untouchable evil.
            sigpic
            "Outlined against a blue, gray
            October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
            Grantland Rice, 1924

            Comment

            • Pheidippides
              Liberal Feminazi
              • Nov 2008
              • 14759

              #7
              Originally posted by cowboy View Post
              I try to avoid demonstrating the flammability of gas to my children. That's an adult science experiment, variations of which have been performed a number of times. I like where you're going with the brandy idea - unfortunately I live in a home where 50% of the household management considers alcohol an untouchable evil.
              Maybe your 50% of the management should have a chat with my 50%. After much persuasion, we reached a unanimous agreement.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #8
                Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                I try to avoid demonstrating the flammability of gas to my children. That's an adult science experiment, variations of which have been performed a number of times. I like where you're going with the brandy idea - unfortunately I live in a home where 50% of the household management considers alcohol an untouchable evil.
                Per almost all by-laws I have ever seen, 50% is insufficient, so you should be ok, even if only on a technicality. Household management may not appreciate it, but until they can muster 50.1%, they don't have much of a choice.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • cowboy
                  Homer Weems
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 5740

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Per almost all by-laws I have ever seen, 50% is insufficient, so you should be ok, even if only on a technicality. Household management may not appreciate it, but until they can muster 50.1%, they don't have much of a choice.
                  While I could force the issue, there are a few household activities that require a super majority for approval. As a result, the other 50% has leverage and occasionally goes Ben Nelson on me, holding out for unreasonable demands because it has been established that I want cloture.
                  sigpic
                  "Outlined against a blue, gray
                  October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                  Grantland Rice, 1924

                  Comment

                  • FMCoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 6825

                    #10
                    Seeing what conducts electricity is a fun one. Make a circuit out of a battery and a flashlight bulb, then put various items in the circuit to see what makes the bulb turn on and out of what does, what makes it glow brighter. A hot dog is always a big hit.
                    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                    Comment

                    • cougjunkie
                      *Banned*
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 23223

                      #11
                      Mentos and Diet Cola works.
                      *Banned*

                      Comment

                      Working...