No announcement yet.

The Minivan Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you all defining a "flush" of the transmission fluid? This mechanic recommends it periodically, but warns about making sure they do it right:

Let's start with the automatic transmission -- the most frequently flushed fluid besides the radiator. The advent of the transmission fluid exchange machine was a great step. In the past, automatic transmission fluid could only be changed by removing the transmission oil pan, which only holds three to six of the eight to 10 quarts in the transmission. The second you started the car, the new fluid mixed with the old, eliminating much of the benefit of the service.

The fluid exchange machine, which some people choose to call a flush machine, cuts into the transmission cooler line at the radiator. As the car runs, old fluid goes out into the waste tank while new fluid is simultaneously pumped in. If the shop is really thorough, the car is lifted and actually driven through all the gears while the exchange is taking place. And if the service is done properly, the transmission oil pan still has to be removed and cleaned and the filter replaced -- a solid hour and a half of work. So if a quick-lube shop is offering it to you in 35 minutes, something's not being done.
    http://autos.aol.com/article/fluid-flush-fallacy/
    Last edited by Pelado; 06-05-2012, 06:11 PM.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Honda recommends replacing the transmission fluid at 105k miles.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

The 01 to 05 Odysseys have. Otorious transmission issues. As I understand it, the tranny overheats and it suffers from slow viscosity breakdown. Drain N' fill is prob best, since the real issue is keeping the oil fresh.

Jacob, your tranny was toast nomatter what, but you grossly overpaid.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          Honda recommends replacing the transmission fluid at 105k miles.
          Nobody is arguing against replacement (drain and refill). A flush involves a machine that runs fluid through the transmission under some pressure while exchanging it.

The idea is that with draining any metal shavings, etc. will just go to the magnet or drain out. With a flush the pressure could cause the shavings to cause damage.
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post

Jacob, your tranny was toast nomatter what, but you grossly overpaid.
            I overpaid because I spend a ton of money doing a major service, flushing all my fluids only top leave the shop with a transmission that didn't work, when it did before I went in. Then I paid the shop to not fix it, then I took it to another shop to replace the tranny. You are probably right that my tranny was going to fail sooner or later, but it would have almost certainly been later had I not got it flushed.

Comment

My brother has an 01 or an 02 Honda Odyssey and his tranny hasn't gone out yet. He's had it since it was new. But I suppose it will be just a matter of time until he wishes he had Ping's 97 Nissan Quest, but by then it will be mine, not his.
              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I'm sitting in Cale Yarborough Honda in Florence, SC getting a quote for a 2013 exp Odyssey. The damned door just,led the track and won't close.
                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  I'm sitting in Cale Yarborough Honda in Florence, SC getting a quote for a 2013 exp Odyssey. The damned door just,led the track and won't close.
                  Demand to see Cale himself. Tell them you're a doctor.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    Spending that raise already?

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      Demand to see Cale himself. Tell them you're a doctor.
                      Oh, they knew already. I was taken to the VIP waiting room, and Cale Yarborough himself handed me the keys and invited me over to dinner this Sunday with him Bobby Allison, Bill Elliott, and Terry Labonte. He asked me to bring cole slaw.

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Spending that raise already?

Shit, man, not by choice. I just bought a $38,990 MSRP vehicle. They gave me $17000 for my trade-in, which I know was only worth about $14,000. I told them I could pay $475 a month (I could pay up to $500). Of course, they came back with "$490's." I say $490 and it's a deal. They came back with $498. I countered with $490. They dropped to $494, I asked for a Coke Zero, a free oil change, and help getting all my shit out of the old one. Done deal.

Now I just have to pay for the damned thing. Final sale price was $34,840 for a red 2013 EXL-RES Odyssey with $0 down and about $1100 in equity from my trade-in. My 2008 one had one door jump the rails today; I drove 30 miles to the dealer with the door open. It's been making odd noises above 70 mph. What sucks is we just bought the new maps for the nav system, and this new one doesn't have navigation (I couldn't afford the $46k Touring Elite model). Also, I just bought brand new tires at Christmas, but they said that's why they gave me above book on my trade because they were top-flight Continentals. The new one has Michelins.

Anyway, I had no plans to buy a new car anytime soon, but my wife wants to drive to Utah this Summer, and I'll feel much safer driving a new car than a 5 y/o one.

Here's what it looks like (this one isn't mine):

"Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Thanks, Wuap. I appreciate the thorough rundown on your vehicle situation. Very informative.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          Thanks, Wuap. I appreciate the thorough rundown on your vehicle situation. Very informative.
                          I can fax you the contract if you'd like. I'll include those tasteful photos you asked for back in 2009.

Comment

• Congrats. We will be looking for a minivan this summer
                            I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

• I'm getting out the club this month.

Yay!

Comment

• The Odyssey is awesome. We comfortably fit 6 men (4 of us over 6'-1", two over 6'-3") plus 6 sets of clubs and 6 duffel bags into an Odyssey for a golf trip last summer. But $500/mo! Holy shiz that's a lot for a car! But then, I pretty much drive the crappiest car at our office (staff included).

Our family still fits into our Kia pretty nicely, but if Mrs. D ever gets child #4, we'll probably upgrade to the Honda.
                                Last edited by Donuthole; 05-21-2013, 07:32 PM.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X