What credit card do you use?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Coach McGuirk
    1
    • Nov 2008
    • 12109

    #46
    Originally posted by Space Ghost
    The Amex website only speaks of the points rewards program and the reward catalog in general terms and doesn't offer very many specific details (like how many points are required to buy a RT domestic airfare ticket). I wonder how the points translate back into a dollar value when matched against the (inflated?) value of the items in the rewards catalog. Does anyone have/use/own this "Amex Gold" card? I'm curious and tempted to switch from my cash rebate card since this website (if accurate) says that my rewards from this Gold Card would be over triple in value (yes, triple!) than my current Costco TrueEarnings Amex card. So it's tempting to switch from cash, even given my bad experience with rewards cards in the past. Yet, I'm still a bit concerned about the actual value of redeemed points in the catalog and the $175(!) annual fee (waived for the first year).

    (As an aside DDD, the Starwood Preferred Guest Amex card was in the top 3 it recommended that I switch to... the JetBlue TrueBlue Amex card being the other.)

    cheers.

    I have my amex card attached to both my SPG and Skymiles account. I don't have to buy anything from the catalog, I just transfer points.

    Comment

    • Katy Lied
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 9435

      #47
      I currently have a debit card with my bank that I use for pretty much everything that I don't put on my AMEX. My bank is now offering me a credit card with 5% cash back. Period. I'd be a fool to not exchange my debit card for my bank's credit card, right? And then keep the debit card for those rare occasions where someone only takes a debit card, right?

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #48
        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        I currently have a debit card with my bank that I use for pretty much everything that I don't put on my AMEX. My bank is now offering me a credit card with 5% cash back. Period. I'd be a fool to not exchange my debit card for my bank's credit card, right? And then keep the debit card for those rare occasions where someone only takes a debit card, right?
        5% on everything?! what bank? of course you should use that for everything except the amex promotional categories that sometimes offer >5% cash back.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • Joe Public
          8.1 YPC
          • Apr 2011
          • 8532

          #49
          Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          I currently have a debit card with my bank that I use for pretty much everything that I don't put on my AMEX. My bank is now offering me a credit card with 5% cash back. Period. I'd be a fool to not exchange my debit card for my bank's credit card, right? And then keep the debit card for those rare occasions where someone only takes a debit card, right?
          Assuming no annual or other fees, it could be a good deal. I think self-awareness is the key here. Some people change spending habits once they're able to carry a balance. For them, it might be foolish to let a rewards program lure them into increased consumption and everything that comes with it.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

          "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #50
            I use my Discover cash back card on almost anything that takes Discover. I earn cash back on any purchase and then quarterly they offer 5% on certain items. This quarter isn't great since it is movies and restaurants. But the last quarter of the year it seems they always do 5% for online purchases which is nice for Christmas. Also 3rd quarter last year was 5% on home improvement which was helpful since we just moved and did a light remodel. But what I really like is the Shop Discover. Whenever I shop online and go through their affiliated partners (pretty much everyone I shop at) I get 5%-20% cash back. Last month I got free shipping and 15% back from Finish Line for some Christmas presents I bought for my FIL. And Amazon lets you link your bonus cash to their checkout and pay from that which is super slick.

            I also have an AMEX rewards card that I only use for Costco.

            I am looking at getting an airline card though since it is getting expensive to fly Gidget and the keikis to Oregon but haven't settled on a rewards program yet.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #51
              Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              I currently have a debit card with my bank that I use for pretty much everything that I don't put on my AMEX. My bank is now offering me a credit card with 5% cash back. Period. I'd be a fool to not exchange my debit card for my bank's credit card, right? And then keep the debit card for those rare occasions where someone only takes a debit card, right?
              I have been thinking at having one of my sons look at my credit card statements and see what awards I have and how I can get them. With all the stuff I bought on American Express last year, I would think they should have a lot of goodies for me. I just get lost when I start looking at what I supposedly have.

              Comment

              • imanihonjin
                Junior Member
                • Jun 2013
                • 3772

                #52
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                I have been thinking at having one of my sons look at my credit card statements and see what awards I have and how I can get them. With all the stuff I bought on American Express last year, I would think they should have a lot of goodies for me. I just get lost when I start looking at what I supposedly have.
                I would be happy to be your adviser. Feel free to send me your account info.

                Comment

                • New Mexican Disaster
                  Suomalainen
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4549

                  #53
                  Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                  I would be happy to be your adviser. Feel free to send me your account info.
                  I'm sure Target has already sent it out.

                  Comment

                  • Paperback Writer
                    Signature won a Pulitzer
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 5211

                    #54
                    I use a Fidelity MC that pays 2% into my kids' 529 college savings accounts. So those rewards $ get invested in the market and are tax free. Use the Costco AMEX at Costco since they don't accept MC as well as all gas purchases at Costco and elsewhere since that reward is 3%. I don't fly or use hotels very often.
                    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

                    Comment

                    • Katy Lied
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 9435

                      #55
                      Never mind. I went back and read the fine print and the 5% cash back is only on gas, groceries and drugstore purchases. I don't really spend a lot of my money on any of those things. I use Amex for Costco (gas and groceries), and my Flexispending credit card for drugstore purchases.

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #56
                        Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                        I'm sure Target has already sent it out.

                        LOL Fortunately or unfortunately I only have one credit card and it isn't some retail outlet card. I am paraniod about giving out information.

                        Comment

                        • old_gregg
                          scaly man fish
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 16915

                          #57
                          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                          LOL Fortunately or unfortunately I only have one credit card and it isn't some retail outlet card. I am paraniod about giving out information.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                          Comment

                          • Katy Lied
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 9435

                            #58
                            Reminds me of the story of that young (early 20s) kid who got ahold of the Sultan of Brunei's AMEX card. He spently wildly and riotously and they didn't even discover it for months.

                            Comment

                            • byu71
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22070

                              #59
                              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              Honestly I don't know what the limit is on that card. I probably couldn't qualify. I know I wouldn't want it extremely high in case it got hacked. I am pretty sure even the one I have I can increase the limit if I want. I think only once in my life did I charge over $50,000 in one month.

                              Comment

                              • old_gregg
                                scaly man fish
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 16915

                                #60
                                chase sapphire preferred offering 50k right now with $4k spending in first three months. transfers 1:1 to some good airline and hotel rewards programs. also, double points on all dining and travel .
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                                Comment

                                Working...