Did you know? - Gas gauge indicator

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bluegoose
    7th round draft pick
    • Nov 2008
    • 4121

    #1

    Did you know? - Gas gauge indicator

    Please answer the poll question honestly, as it is a public poll, so we will all know who among us is lying.

    Were you aware that nearly every new-ish vehicle has a small arrow on the console display next to the gas tank indicator which tells which side of the car on which your gas tank is located?

    Its true - check it out. One of the many things I learned on our recent trip through Las Vegas.
    50
    Well Duh.... Doesn't everyone know about that?
    58.00%
    29
    No, I am an honest person and I honestly wasn't aware that the arrow existed.
    42.00%
    21
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #2
    Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
    Please answer the poll question honestly, as it is a public poll, so we will all know who among us is lying.

    Were you aware that nearly every new-ish vehicle has a small arrow on the console display next to the gas tank indicator which tells which side of the car on which your gas tank is located?

    Its true - check it out. One of the many things I learned on our recent trip through Las Vegas.
    THis fact is very importatn when you are in a hurry to catch a flight and must stop at the gas station to fill up the rental before returning it. I curse now when the little triangle/arrow is not there.

    Just to be clear, btw, the triangle/arrow/pointer indicates on which side the tank filler tube is located.
    Last edited by creekster; 11-03-2009, 01:50 PM.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

    Comment

    • UteStar
      Sexiest Poster in Town
      • Nov 2008
      • 2419

      #3
      Are you kidding me? I thought that arrow was to show which way you should exit the car. I have been climbing over that frakkin' passenger seat now for 3.5 years. Thanks for the tip, I can't wait to go out the driver's side door now!

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25268

        #4
        Neither of my vehicles is new enough for me to be aware of this.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • bluegoose
          7th round draft pick
          • Nov 2008
          • 4121

          #5
          Originally posted by creekster View Post
          THis fact is very importatn when you are in a hurry to catch a flight and must stop at the gas station to fill up the rental before returning it. I curse now when the little triangle/arrow is not there.
          This is exactly how I learned this factoid. As we were rushing around to fill the rental car (okay, it was a mini van) on the way to the airport, the cheapest gas we could find was across the street from the HOOters restaurant and hotel (this is my next "Did you know?" question - I had no idea HOOters had a hotel).

          There was very little space in the parking lot and it was imperative that we got it right the first time. My buddy leaned over, looked at the console and said, "The gas tank is on the left. See, the little arrow is pointing that direction." He could have told me he was an illegal alien and I wouldn't have been more shocked than when I first saw the arrow.

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #6
            Yes, I was aware, but it also depends on make of car. Not all of them have this.

            I get pissed when they don't have them, though
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • creekster
              It is NOT a monkey!
              • Nov 2008
              • 22661

              #7
              Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              This is exactly how I learned this factoid. As we were rushing around to fill the rental car (okay, it was a mini van) on the way to the airport, the cheapest gas we could find was across the street from the HOOters restaurant and hotel (this is my next "Did you know?" question - I had no idea HOOters had a hotel).

              There was very little space in the parking lot and it was imperative that we got it right the first time. My buddy leaned over, looked at the console and said, "The gas tank is on the left. See, the little arrow is pointing that direction." He could have told me he was an illegal alien and I wouldn't have been more shocked than when I first saw the arrow.
              Now we should do a laziness indicator poll and ask who among those who rented cars before the little arrow/pointer was common have, at some point, pulled a pump hose across the car's trunk because you had guessed wrong as to whicih side the filler tube was on?
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

              Comment

              • beefytee
                Board eye candy
                • Mar 2009
                • 7542

                #8
                What kind of moran can't tell which side the gas tank is on without an arrow on the dash?

                I miss the old cars that hid the opening behind the back license plate.

                Comment

                • Donuthole
                  Official Outgayer
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 25268

                  #9
                  Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  I miss the old cars that hid the opening behind the back license plate.
                  Agreed. Both of my family's Oldsmobiles were this way.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                  There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                  Comment

                  • bluegoose
                    7th round draft pick
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4121

                    #10
                    I'm still waiting for Steelblue to vote in the poll to see if I need to add him to my rapidly-expanding list (9 people and growing!!!) of "People who I once thought were honest but have just proven otherwise".

                    Comment

                    • SteelBlue
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8189

                      #11
                      Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                      I'm still waiting for Steelblue to vote in the poll to see if I need to add him to my rapidly-expanding list (9 people and growing!!!) of "People who I once thought were honest but have just proven otherwise".
                      As you well know I discovered this fact at the exact moment that you did. Only you told the story wrong. It was Mrs. buddy that, from the passenger seat, leaned slightly to the left and said "it's on the left side". I said "how on earth did you see that from that angle?" and then she acted like you and I were complete morons for not knowing about that little arrow. I haven't found too many people who know about this little trick. I was telling a doc on oncology the other day and he was ready to bet me $100 I was wrong. He had to apologize in shame.

                      Comment

                      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                        Time to camp
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26082

                        #12
                        Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Now we should do a laziness indicator poll and ask who among those who rented cars before the little arrow/pointer was common have, at some point, pulled a pump hose across the car's trunk because you had guessed wrong as to whicih side the filler tube was on?
                        I have never even thought to pull the hose over the trunk.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

                        Comment

                        • Color Me Badd Fan
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 12519

                          #13
                          Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          I have never even thought to pull the hose over the trunk.
                          Most cars seem to have the fuel tank on the driver's side. Also, Costco has these extension cables that allow you to easily pull the hose to the side of the car that is opposite from the pump (e.g. pull it over the trunk). All the schmucks at Costco waiting in line to save a few pennies per gallon of gas, pull into the lines for the pumps that are on the driver's side. Meanwhile I pull up to the pumps that are the passenger side that never have a line. I would probably avoid buying gas at Costco but for a couple things: 1) It's the closest gas station to my house; and 2) I live in place that sells 85 octane at most stations even though I live at an elevation of about 2500 feet with Costco and the Sinclair stations being the exceptions that sell 87 octane for the same price that everyone else is selling 85. I hate putting 85 Octane into my car when I live at an elevation where you really shouldn't be putting 85 into your car.
                          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                          Comment

                          • LiveCoug
                            LA Ute loves me
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 18488

                            #14
                            I never knew because the newest car I have ever owned is a '96

                            Comment

                            • il Padrino Ute
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19161

                              #15
                              Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              What kind of moran can't tell which side the gas tank is on without an arrow on the dash?
                              Exactly.
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                              Comment

                              Working...