Daylight savings time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Vin Diesel and Jimmy Kimmel both think we should get rid of Daylight Saving Time:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXY--2GyYs
    Evidence in favor of full-time DST.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Time for my semi-annual complaint about daylight saving time.

At least the changing of the clocks won't be such a big deal since Idaho Power has had power glitches twice in the past week to help keep me in practice of setting clocks.

The New York Times had an article on the subject. This was the strongest argument:
      The American Academy of Sleep Medicine has endorsed the abolition of daylight saving time, arguing that it is "less aligned with human circadian biology."

Comment

Full time DST please. More light should always win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          Full time DST please. More light should always win.

You know you don't actually get more hours of light, right?
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post

umm, yes we do. We are "saving" it.

Comment

What I get is more daylight that aligns with hours that are later in the day according to the time which is agreed upon in my state. This additional daylight allocated to evening hours is conducive to evening activities like golf after work.

Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Back before the railroads crossed the country, time was based on when noon was wherever you were located. They couldn't keep train schedules straight, so they made four time zones and the railroad schedules now worked.

I would rather go back to having noon be as close as possible to when the sun is directly to the south. This DST nonsense puts noon in the early afternoon instead.

Comment

For the record I love dst. I love both going forward and falling back. I think complaining about it, except in a few southern states where it doesn’t make much difference, is a perfect example of being distracted by short term pain and not seeing long term gain.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

For the record I love dst. I love both going forward and falling back. I think complaining about it, except in a few southern states where it doesn’t make much difference, is a perfect example of being distracted by short term pain and not seeing long term gain.
                    This is where I am now. Keep the current system.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

What’s the long term gain again? I’m afraid I’m being distracted.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't look forward to holidays or birthdays, but I kind of like shaking things up with a time change a couple of times a year. It reminds me that the humans are still in charge.

"The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Apologies to everyone. I think I fusnik’ed JL into being for the time change. IIRC he used to be for year-round DST.

Utah passed a law last year that just needs congress to allow year round DST. I believe enough states are already on board that Utah would make the switch should congress allow it.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/3/...-standard-time

Comment

This guy explains my feelings pretty well - minus the strong language, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                              Time for my semi-annual complaint about daylight saving time.
                              Two appliances, two smart thermostats, one TV, one alarm clock, two cars, one motorcycle.

I think maybe I got them all.

Comment

I’d much rather drive home with some light rather than driving with it to work.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X