P.E.'s and "engineer" angst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P.E.'s and "engineer" angst

Who gives a rat's backside what job title anybody else has / uses. I'm not a P.E. nor do I have an engineering degree. But engineer has been in my job title (not by choice ... just my industry) pretty much my whole career.

Who cares? Yet P.E.'s get all bent out of shape. Do MD's care that chiros are called "Doctors"? Or Ph.D's? We could come up with a bunch of other examples.

It's just a word.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

I get pretty pissed when academic advisors refer to themselves as counselors.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      Who gives a rat's backside what job title anybody else has / uses. I'm not a P.E. nor do I have an engineering degree. But engineer has been in my job title (not by choice ... just my industry) pretty much my whole career.

Who cares? Yet P.E.'s get all bent out of shape. Do MD's care that chiros are called "Doctors"? Or Ph.D's? We could come up with a bunch of other examples.

It's just a word.
      I have an engineering degree, but I'm not an engineer. You can have my unused title.
      This space is available.

Comment

It's just a word.
        Ph.D's have a doctoral degree, thus they get called doctors.

I have a Master's degree so I politely ask people to call me Master.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I know a doctor in Memphis who made his wife address him as "doctor." So yes to some it is a big deal.

Comment

Doesn't bother me.

But I do get a chuckle out of some of the job titles using the word engineer.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
              Ph.D's have a doctoral degree, thus they get called doctors.

I have a Master's degree so I politely ask people to call me Master.
              I hope your real last name is Bates.
              This space is available.

Comment

My MOS (Military Occupation Specialty) while I was in the Army was Combat Engineer. We kicked some serious ass and blew a lot of stuff up. It offends me that so many wussy paper pushers have disgraced the proud name of Engineer. I think to properly call oneself an Engineer a person should be required to blow something up.
                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Doesn't bother me.

But I do get a chuckle out of some of the job titles using the word engineer.
                  I do agree that it's overused, particularly in my industry. But I guess it's a "what's in a name" thing to me. Language evolves.
                  "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

I do agree that it's overused, particularly in my industry. But I guess it's a "what's in a name" thing to me. Language evolves.
                    Sincerely,

Sweet 'Mexican' Food
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                      Sincerely,

Sweet 'Mexican' Food
                      LOL! I have been pwned.

Comment

Is this a case of language evolving? I don't think it is overused. It is just overvalued (by some people).

Engineer (along with engine) has always been a pretty generic term.

Now some group comes along and tries to claim it as their own without any qualifier (i.e. civil, mechanical, electrical, locomotive, software).

It really does seem to parallel the whole "real" doctor thing.

Comment

It kind of bugs me that DDD calls himself a lawyer.
                          If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Do MD's care that chiros are called "Doctors"? Or Ph.D's? We could come up with a bunch of other examples.

It's just a word.
                            FWIW, almost every doctor that I know finds it laughable that Chiros, etc. are called doctors. And they also find it funny and are bothered when a PhD calls himself a doctor without clarifying it.

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
                              FWIW, almost every doctor that I know finds it laughable that Chiros, etc. are called doctors. And they also find it funny and are bothered when a PhD calls himself a doctor without clarifying it.
                              I got irrationally annoyed one time when an optometrist referred to his years in "medical school."

I'm not a fan of chiropractors either, but whatever -- they're a type of doctor I suppose. A new trend I have seen recently is for nurse practitioners with PhDs to call themselves doctors -- I think that crosses the line.

Comment

Working...
                              X