P.E.'s and "engineer" angst

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69718

    #46
    Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    Did anyone read the press release from the BYU engineering department yesterday? It actually used the term "Tractor Beam" in a serious, non-ironic way. Wuap, do you know the etymology of Tractor Beam? Don't tractors push rather than pull? Why why tractors?


    The tiny specks are controlled with laser light, like the fictional tractor beam from "Star Trek," said Smalley, an electrical engineering professor at Brigham Young University.
    I am not wuap, but I do know how to google:

    Origin

    late 18th century (in the general sense ‘someone or something that pulls’): from Latin, from tract- ‘pulled,’ from the verb trahere .
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • creekster
      It is NOT a monkey!
      • Nov 2008
      • 22661

      #47
      Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Did anyone read the press release from the BYU engineering department yesterday? It actually used the term "Tractor Beam" in a serious, non-ironic way. Wuap, do you know the etymology of Tractor Beam? Don't tractors push rather than pull? Why why tractors?
      tractors push rather than pull? I am guessing you haven't spent much time around farms. Or tractor/trailer rigs.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37988

        #48
        Originally posted by creekster View Post
        tractors push rather than pull? I am guessing you haven't spent much time around farms. Or tractor/trailer rigs.
        Is there any tractor that pushes?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        Working...