Chat filter

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #1

    Chat filter

    When one of those in charge has some time could you look at the filter on the flash chat. Pretty much any word with a B in it the filter things one is trying to say bitch and types it out as b***h. As example I said behind and it put, b***h ind.

    I realize chat isn't all that used so this is not a high priority. Thanks.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke
  • All-American
    Right, as Usual
    • Nov 2008
    • 15670

    #2
    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    When one of those in charge has some time could you look at the filter on the flash chat. Pretty much any word with a B in it the filter things one is trying to say bitch and types it out as b***h. As example I said behind and it put, b***h ind.

    I realize chat isn't all that used so this is not a high priority. Thanks.
    7.4
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

    Comment

    • Babs
      Not a Lawyer
      • Nov 2008
      • 17128

      #3
      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      When one of those in charge has some time could you look at the filter on the flash chat. Pretty much any word with a B in it the filter things one is trying to say bitch and types it out as b***h. As example I said behind and it put, b***h ind.

      I realize chat isn't all that used so this is not a high priority. Thanks.
      yeah, anything that starts wtih a B and ends with an H gets filtered, even if it's just a string within a longer word. Also anything with -cum- gets dropped, so for example you can't type circumstance. Counterintuitively, you're free to drop as many s--ts and f-bombs as you want. It's definitely an odd (and highly ineffective) little filter.

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69721

        #4
        I spent a couple of hours on it once with no luck. I can take another look.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Babs
          Not a Lawyer
          • Nov 2008
          • 17128

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          I spent a couple of hours on it once with no luck. I can take another look.
          can you just disable it? Or was that what you were trying to do?

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69721

            #6
            Originally posted by Babs View Post
            can you just disable it? Or was that what you were trying to do?
            Yes, I was trying to disable it. There is supposed to be some kind of bad words list in php files, but I could never locate it.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Babs
              Not a Lawyer
              • Nov 2008
              • 17128

              #7
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Yes, I was trying to disable it. There is supposed to be some kind of bad words list in php files, but I could never locate it.
              admin/cnf_badwords.php

              no idea if that's right.

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69721

                #8
                Originally posted by Babs View Post
                admin/cnf_badwords.php

                no idea if that's right.
                There is no such folder or file. But there is a "chat/inc/badwords.php" file. Here are the contents of the file:

                <?php
                $GLOBALS['filename'] = 'badwords';
                include(INC_DIR.'get_config.php');
                ?>
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Babs
                  Not a Lawyer
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 17128

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  There is no such folder or file. But there is a "chat/inc/badwords.php" file. Here are the contents of the file:

                  <?php
                  $GLOBALS['filename'] = 'badwords';
                  include(INC_DIR.'get_config.php');
                  ?>
                  Do you know if this is version 5.0.11? supposedly the filter bug was fixed in the .11 release, but I'm skeptical.

                  Comment

                  • Babs
                    Not a Lawyer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 17128

                    #10
                    This is cool. You can still see all the threads and post, but you can't get to the homepage. Weird.

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69721

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Babs View Post
                      This is cool. You can still see all the threads and post, but you can't get to the homepage. Weird.
                      Try it now. I just upgraded to Flashchat 5.011. Seems to have the same problem with the filter.

                      Did you find a link to information about the filter bug?
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Babs
                        Not a Lawyer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 17128

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Try it now. I just upgraded to Flashchat 5.011. Seems to have the same problem with the filter.

                        Did you find a link to information about the filter bug?
                        I found tons of links but none of them with any consistent info.

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69721

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Babs View Post
                          I found tons of links but none of them with any consistent info.
                          I just figured out how to turn the filter off. Or so I thought. I found this config.xml file:

                          <?xml version="1.0" ?>
                          <main>
                          <config>
                          <use_xml_badwords>false</use_xml_badwords>
                          <use_php_badwords>false</use_php_badwords>
                          </config>

                          <bad_words_settings>
                          <frequency>1</frequency>
                          <time>1</time>
                          <action>ban_ip</action>
                          <message>You have violated the terms of the chat by using excessive bad language.You will now banned from the chat for 1 hour.</message>
                          </bad_words_settings>

                          <spam_settings>
                          <frequency>2</frequency>
                          <time>6</time>
                          <action>alert</action>
                          <message>Please do not spam our chat!</message>
                          </spam_settings>
                          </main>


                          Note that I changed the first two flags to false. Uploaded to server, but it is still filtering. Dang, I thought that would fix it for sure.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I just figured out how to turn the filter off. Or so I thought. I found this config.xml file:

                            <?xml version="1.0" ?>
                            <main>
                            <config>
                            <use_xml_badwords>false</use_xml_badwords>
                            <use_php_badwords>false</use_php_badwords>
                            </config>

                            <bad_words_settings>
                            <frequency>1</frequency>
                            <time>1</time>
                            <action>ban_ip</action>
                            <message>You have violated the terms of the chat by using excessive bad language.You will now banned from the chat for 1 hour.</message>
                            </bad_words_settings>

                            <spam_settings>
                            <frequency>2</frequency>
                            <time>6</time>
                            <action>alert</action>
                            <message>Please do not spam our chat!</message>
                            </spam_settings>
                            </main>


                            Note that I changed the first two flags to false. Uploaded to server, but it is still filtering. Dang, I thought that would fix it for sure.
                            But that looks like that's just a script to automatically block users that use the "badwords" too often or spam the board with the same post repeatedly. But that's a start. At least now we know we won't get kicked off for typing breath or circumstances too often.

                            Comment

                            • doctorcoug
                              To Win is to Honor Him
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 2273

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I just figured out how to turn the filter off. Or so I thought. I found this config.xml file:

                              <?xml version="1.0" ?>
                              <main>
                              <config>
                              <use_xml_badwords>false</use_xml_badwords>
                              <use_php_badwords>false</use_php_badwords>
                              </config>

                              <bad_words_settings>
                              <frequency>1</frequency>
                              <time>1</time>
                              <action>ban_ip</action>
                              <message>You have violated the terms of the chat by using excessive bad language.You will now banned from the chat for 1 hour.</message>
                              </bad_words_settings>

                              <spam_settings>
                              <frequency>2</frequency>
                              <time>6</time>
                              <action>alert</action>
                              <message>Please do not spam our chat!</message>
                              </spam_settings>
                              </main>


                              Note that I changed the first two flags to false. Uploaded to server, but it is still filtering. Dang, I thought that would fix it for sure.
                              How about sending an email to Darren over at tufat? He has always been helpful with the scripts I bought from him.
                              "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

                              "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

                              Comment

                              Working...