Google Ads

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scottie
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5247

    #1

    Google Ads

    Jeff, have you considered adding Google Ads to CUF? I wouldn't be bothered by them, and hopefully they'd generate enough revenue to cover maintenance costs. Maybe this could be a thread to get the pulse on how people would react to them?
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #2
    If it were a Sooner board, I'd say go for it. But I don't particularly want to see a bunch of Cougar ads.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69705

      #3
      No, I haven't looked into it. I wonder if our level of volume would generate much income.

      Anyone have any experience with this?
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Babs
        Not a Lawyer
        • Nov 2008
        • 17128

        #4
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        No, I haven't looked into it. I wonder if our level of volume would generate much income.

        Anyone have any experience with this?
        It's based on clicks, not volume. That's what makes me think it's not a good fit for us. Most the ads will be "cougar" related, and I figure wuapinmon will be the only one clicking on those.

        Comment

        • TripletDaddy
          sweet triple
          • Nov 2008
          • 58186

          #5
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          No, I haven't looked into it. I wonder if our level of volume would generate much income.
          I'm trying my best! Sheesh.
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

          sigpic

          Comment

          • JohnnyLingo
            La Naranja
            • Nov 2008
            • 3976

            #6
            Dianetics ads on CG now.

            Comment

            • YOhio
              Hipster Mode
              • Nov 2008
              • 26165

              #7
              Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
              Dianetics ads on CG now.
              Dianetics junior much better than Krishna.

              Comment

              • Solon
                Lost in the flood
                • Nov 2008
                • 5747

                #8
                Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                Dianetics junior much better than Krishna.
                I went to the CG archive to look something up last week and the ads were really annoying. I'll up my contribution here, if need be.

                Or, on second thought, if we got them then I could click the hell out of the ads and exhaust the advertising budget for a bunch of BYU-related businesses. It'd only take me 20 hours a day, a computer lab, and an army of trained chimps to enact my cyber-terroristic bloodbath.

                I'm already drunk with power.
                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                Comment

                • RobinFinderson
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10548

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Solon View Post
                  I went to the CG archive to look something up last week and the ads were really annoying. I'll up my contribution here, if need be.

                  Or, on second thought, if we got them then I could click the hell out of the ads and exhaust the advertising budget for a bunch of BYU-related businesses. It'd only take me 20 hours a day, a computer lab, and an army of trained chimps to enact my cyber-terroristic bloodbath.

                  I'm already drunk with power.
                  Funny that you think like that, because sometimes I do as well. I'll see an ad by a company selling a product or service that I find particularly annoying, and I will click the ad knowing that I just cost the company a dime. In hippienese we call this 'sticking it to the man.'

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Babs View Post
                    It's based on clicks, not volume. That's what makes me think it's not a good fit for us. Most the ads will be "cougar" related, and I figure wuapinmon will be the only one clicking on those.
                    Uhhh, what?
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Solon
                      Lost in the flood
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5747

                      #11
                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      Uhhh, what?
                      Cougar: http://static.twirlit.com/wp-content...-tv-land-1.jpg
                      "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                      -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                      Comment

                      • All-American
                        Right, as Usual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 15665

                        #12
                        My suspicion is that people generally vastly overestimate the amount of money those ads generate. The amount of traffic would have to exponentially increase for it to fully cover costs.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #13
                          I know what a cougar is....my confusion revolves around why I would click on them? Why me?
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #14
                            Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            My suspicion is that people generally vastly overestimate the amount of money those ads generate. The amount of traffic would have to exponentially increase for it to fully cover costs.
                            We've got a couple hundred users, so we would hardly want the traffic here to increase exponentially. Our costs would increase significantly.

                            Adsense payout is not strictly a function of traffic. The way it works is, you choose the words you think are most likely to generate clicks from your users. Google has assigned a value to every word in the english language (and by extension to the ads those words produce). They pay you based on the number of clicks per day, times the relative value of the words you chose. Most words are < 10c per click. At a site like this you'd be lucky to get a even dollar a day.

                            The real way to make money is to set up an entirely separate faux site, made of nothing but google ads, and then get it way up on the google search results, so that people searching for something hit that site and then click on your ads. That's a lot of effort for what it's worth, but that's really the only way anybody makes money with adsense. You see those sites all the time. Some people make thousands of dollars like that.

                            Comment

                            • Solon
                              Lost in the flood
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5747

                              #15
                              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              I know what a cougar is....my confusion revolves around why I would click on them? Why me?
                              Yeah, I wasn't thinking that you didn't know about these types of predators. i just wanted to do a google search for one.
                              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                              Comment

                              Working...