Blocking spammers

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • doctorcoug
    To Win is to Honor Him
    • Jun 2009
    • 2273

    #1

    Blocking spammers

    There is a setting (can't remember if I installed a hack) for vb that allows registration to be denied unless a question is answered correctly.

    For instance, "what year did the famed L. E. lead his team to a N.C.?"
    Anybody truly interested in this site will know the answer while it will keep out most spammers. I do this on my own site and get maybe 5 spammers a year on a site with nearly 2000 legit users.

    via a galaxy s3 far far away
    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

    "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69696

    #2
    Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
    There is a setting (can't remember if I installed a hack) for vb that allows registration to be denied unless a question is answered correctly.

    For instance, "what year did the famed L. E. lead his team to a N.C.?"
    Anybody truly interested in this site will know the answer while it will keep out most spammers. I do this on my own site and get maybe 5 spammers a year on a site with nearly 2000 legit users.

    via a galaxy s3 far far away
    We have a similar process. They have to answer an e-mail message. Every spammer is a live person, not a bot.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • doctorcoug
      To Win is to Honor Him
      • Jun 2009
      • 2273

      #3
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      We have a similar process. They have to answer an e-mail message. Every spammer is a live person, not a bot.
      I know. Captchas ended bots. What you need is a question that most wanting membership here should know but a person can't figure out by using Google. Thus, my question.

      via a galaxy s3 far far away
      "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

      "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37982

        #4
        Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
        I know. Captchas ended bots. What you need is a question that most wanting membership here should know but a person can't figure out by using Google. Thus, my question.

        via a galaxy s3 far far away
        I guarantee my wife wouldn't know the answer to that question. Maybe she's not the traditional type of new member, I don't think we'd really care to exclude someone like her.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69696

          #5
          The current system works fine. I can delete a spammer, delete posts, ban ip address in two clicks.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • CardiacCoug
            вот так штука
            • Nov 2008
            • 11013

            #6
            What website with 2000 users do you run, DC?

            Comment

            • Green Monstah
              Royal Rooter
              • Aug 2010
              • 13955

              #7
              Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
              What website with 2000 users do you run, DC?
              Vibratorsformormons.com
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

              Comment

              Working...