Malware Alert

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • old_gregg
    scaly man fish
    • Nov 2009
    • 16915

    #1

    Malware Alert

    Every time I visit CUF, I have a malware alert from Kaspersky. The object is:

    Code:
    detected: malware	URL: http://pagesinxt.com/?dn=thechuckler.com&flrdr=yes&nxte=gif
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.
  • SoCalCoug
    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
    • Nov 2008
    • 5214

    #2
    Well, tell Kaspersky to shut the f**k up.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

    Comment

    • SeattleUte
      Faith crisis consultant
      • Nov 2008
      • 20837

      #3
      Originally posted by camleish View Post
      Every time I visit CUF, I have a malware alert from Kaspersky. The object is:

      Code:
      detected: malware	URL: http://pagesinxt.com/?dn=thechuckler.com&flrdr=yes&nxte=gif
      Please keep your porn vermin off this site.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

      --Jonathan Swift

      Comment

      • PaloAltoCougar
        Semper infra dignitatem
        • Nov 2008
        • 16938

        #4
        I read an article today about Crytolocker and other "ransomware" programs that are becoming more common. Once it infects your computer, a clock starts counting down (usually a few hours) and if you don't send money, your computer is essentially toast (all the files become inaccessible) and there's no fixing it. I hadn't heard of this until today (save your derision) but our IT guy says he's seen it happen to other clients and it's nasty. I'm sure our good friends in Albania have nothing to do with this.

        Anyone been hit with this? In addition to having one's antivirus software updated, the key apparently is not to open any email (much less an attachment or link) from anyone you don't know.

        Comment

        • Eddie
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2009
          • 8098

          #5
          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          I read an article today about Crytolocker and other "ransomware" programs that are becoming more common. Once it infects your computer, a clock starts counting down (usually a few hours) and if you don't send money, your computer is essentially toast (all the files become inaccessible) and there's no fixing it. I hadn't heard of this until today (save your derision) but our IT guy says he's seen it happen to other clients and it's nasty. I'm sure our good friends in Albania have nothing to do with this.

          Anyone been hit with this? In addition to having one's antivirus software updated, the key apparently is not to open any email (much less an attachment or link) from anyone you don't know.
          This hit our office last week.

          The guy who opened the offending email lost everything (E V E R Y T H I N G) on his computer. Any shared files he had opened on our server were also infected, but the IT guys were able to restore them to an earlier time that same morning.

          Scary stuff.

          I've long held the belief that the punishment for ANYONE who releases a virus into the cyber world should be that everyone effected by said virus gets to give them a good swift kick to the crotch. I would be wearing steel toed boots when it was my turn.

          Comment

          • beefytee
            Board eye candy
            • Mar 2009
            • 7542

            #6
            The anonymous hackers this week crippled the computer systems of high-profile celebrity law firm Grubman Shire Meiselas & Sacks claiming to have stolen 756GB of highly-confidential documents.


            I hate these schemes. Not only do they take advantage of the elite and powerful, they also prey on the desperate and vulnerable.

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69716

              #7
              Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...keep-it-secret

              I hate these schemes. Not only do they take advantage of the elite and powerful, they also prey on the desperate and vulnerable.
              Bastards. Scum of the earth.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Pelado
                Bald not naked
                • Sep 2010
                • 21142

                #8
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Bastards. Scum of the earth.
                What did the Utes do this time?
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

                Comment

                • Scott R Nelson
                  UofU/BYU mixed marriage
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 1508

                  #9
                  Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...keep-it-secret

                  I hate these schemes. Not only do they take advantage of the elite and powerful, they also prey on the desperate and vulnerable.
                  The article states that it encrypts all files including backup files. Any decent backup scheme keeps those files disconnected from the internet once they're written, so it is impossible to encrypt those. You have to erase your computer systems and reinstall everything, but the backup copies of the files should be safe from getting destroyed.

                  So I don't believe everything in the article.

                  Comment

                  • Uncle Ted
                    The Big 12 money shot.
                    • Apr 2010
                    • 28853

                    #10
                    Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...keep-it-secret

                    I hate these schemes. Not only do they take advantage of the elite and powerful, they also prey on the desperate and vulnerable.
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Bastards. Scum of the earth.
                    Obama would have sent a drone to bomb the hell out of these terrorist by now... What is drumpf waiting for?
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    Working...