Sarcasm v Irony

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #31
    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Yeah, cause English Lit is the only major with dramatic irony.
    shouldn't you be practicing counting or something?

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #32
      Originally posted by Babs View Post
      shouldn't you be practicing counting or something?
      You're just mad that I passed you.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #33
        Irony: A broad term referring to the recognition of a reality different from the masking appearance. Verbal irony is a FIGURE OF SPEECH in which the actual intent is expressed in words which carry the opposite meaning. Irony is likely to be confused with SARCASM but it differs from SARCASM in that is it usually lighter, less harsh in its wording though in effect probably more cutting because of its indirectness.
        --Thrall and Hibbard, A Handbook to Literature, 3rd Ed.
        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • EuropeanFootballMale
          Karate/Friendship Master
          • Aug 2010
          • 1339

          #34
          Originally posted by Babs View Post
          I'd like to be the first to congratulate you on reaching that milestone known as your thirtieth post.
          Thanks. (I think. Maybe you're being ironic and sarcastic)

          Comment

          • EuropeanFootballMale
            Karate/Friendship Master
            • Aug 2010
            • 1339

            #35
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            How does satire fit in? Personally, that's my favorite.
            The best part about satire is that if you do it well and are correct about the people you are aiming at there's a good chance they won't get it.

            Anyways, I'm getting hungry. Anybody know some poor people who will sell me one of their kids?
            Last edited by EuropeanFootballMale; 08-27-2010, 02:07 AM.

            Comment

            • Babs
              Not a Lawyer
              • Nov 2008
              • 17128

              #36
              Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
              Thanks. (I think. Maybe you're being ironic and sarcastic)
              Me? Never!

              Comment

              • PaloAltoCougar
                Semper infra dignitatem
                • Nov 2008
                • 16935

                #37
                Lisa Simpson: [Homer receives an award for using his fat body to block a toxic vent] I think it's ironic that Dad saved the day while a slimmer man would have fallen to his death.

                Bart Simpson: Yeah, and I think it's ironic that for once, Dad's butt actually prevented the release of toxic gas...

                Marge Simpson: Bart!

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #38
                  The facts: On August 27, 1891, a passenger train jumped the tracks on a tall bridge near Statesville, North Carolina, sending seven rail cars below and about 30 people to their deaths.
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • clackamascoug
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 9709

                    #39
                    I think the original post is ironic.

                    Comment

                    • BoylenOver
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 9146

                      #40
                      Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
                      Anyways, I'm getting hungry. Anybody know some poor people who will sell me one of their kids?
                      That seems like a modest proposal.
                      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                      Comment

                      • Babs
                        Not a Lawyer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 17128

                        #41
                        Originally posted by EuropeanFootballMale View Post
                        The best part about satire is that if you do it well and are correct about the people you are aiming at there's a good chance they won't get it.

                        Anyways, I'm getting hungry. Anybody know some poor people who will sell me one of their kids?
                        I don't know, but be careful. Just yesterday I was reading in one of the forums about dissipating kids. I'd hate for you to go through all that trouble and then have your lunch dissipate right before your eyes!

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Babs View Post
                          I don't know, but be careful. Just yesterday I was reading in one of the forums about dissipating kids. I'd hate for you to go through all that trouble and then have your lunch dissipate right before your eyes!
                          You need a refresher in prepositional phrases.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #43
                            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                            You need a refresher in prepositional phrases.
                            you mean on prepositional phrases?

                            Comment

                            • LA Ute
                              Receiver of Memory
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19512

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              you mean on prepositional phrases?
                              Zing.
                              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                              ― W.H. Auden


                              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                              Comment

                              • wuapinmon
                                Soul Plumber
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 30711

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Babs View Post
                                you mean on prepositional phrases?
                                No, I mean "in." There is a difference.
                                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                                Comment

                                Working...