Why bulletin boards suck

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jarid in Cedar
    CS Institutional Memory
    • Jun 2009
    • 13234

    #16
    Originally posted by Space Ghost

    Also, if I start a thread on a topic and sense the discussion is going astray, then I do in fact try and make an effort to reign in the discussion... and may do so somewhat brusquely. If you feel I'm feisty in this regard, then so be it.

    cheers.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMDV3eISLPs"]YouTube- Stay on Target![/ame]
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

    "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

    "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

    -Rick Majerus

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69716

      #17
      I think my favorite threadjack was when I started a post back on CG about my new church calling and it somehow devolved into a discussion of Jenna Jameson (complete with photos).

      (oops - was that too far off-topic?)
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #18
        Originally posted by Space Ghost

        Also, if I start a thread on a topic and sense the discussion is going astray, then I do in fact try and make an effort to reign in the discussion... and may do so somewhat brusquely. If you feel I'm feisty in this regard, then so be it.
        This is like meta-posting.


        Originally posted by Space Ghost
        why not start a new thread about such aspects and continue the discussion as a new thread? Having long meandering discussions completely defeats the purpose of the bulletin board software as it renders its inherent structure of categorizing different subjects completely meaningless. Also, by starting a new thread about the new topic you attract different persons to contribute to the topic that were, heretofore, not following the thread at all.

        Speaking of which, the "search" mechanism has pretty much been rendered useless on CUF. As it currently stands, I would just as well find a cookie recipe in a thread titled "Which type of underwear do you prefer?" as I would in a thread titled "Your favorite cookie recipes". I've run across this already. It's annoying... but not altogether surprising.
        I bet you have a perfectly-organized sock drawer.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • TheBYUGuy
          Friend of Rodin
          • Sep 2009
          • 1442

          #19
          You're too stringent about this put-all-relevant-information-in-a-single-thread business. Normal people would have at least started a new thread for the poll.

          Comment

          • Fiyero
            Banned
            • Nov 2008
            • 5266

            #20
            Has anyone started a SpeakEasy thread titled "Jeez, what's Space Ghost's problem" yet? If not, I'm too low on Distinguished Road credits to start one. Little help.

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #21
              Originally posted by Fiyero View Post
              Has anyone started a SpeakEasy thread titled "Jeez, what's Space Ghost's problem" yet? If not, I'm too low on Distinguished Road credits to start one. Little help.
              Just vent about it in one of the JohnnyLingo threads, seems more appropriate anyway.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #22
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                Just vent about it in one of the JohnnyLingo threads, seems more appropriate anyway.
                We had to archive the first cohort of them. Roman numerals get complex above fifty.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • FN Phat
                  I ♥ gateway sex
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 8691

                  #23
                  Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post


                  I bet you have a perfectly-organized sock drawer.
                  My wife hates to mate socks. Therefore, all of my socks are thrown into a laundry basket and I just grab what I need/can find.
                  I'm your huckleberry.


                  "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                  Comment

                  • fuegote
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 81

                    #24
                    Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                    My wife hates to mate socks. Therefore, all of my socks are thrown into a laundry basket and I just grab what I need/can find.
                    that is why I have 6 pairs of the same black socks. No need to mate those bad boys.

                    Comment

                    • Katy Lied
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 9435

                      #25
                      I'm kind of concerned that this thread represents SpaceGhost's disillusionment with, and eventual withdrawal from, CUF. Hope not. I like complex posters.

                      Plus, I'm still waiting for that photo revision he sort of promised of his christmas lights backlit by fog.

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                        I'm kind of concerned that this thread represents SpaceGhost's disillusionment with, and eventual withdrawal from, CUF. Hope not. I like complex posters.

                        Plus, I'm still waiting for that photo revision he sort of promised of his christmas lights backlit by fog.
                        Same here. Space Ghost I have enjoyed your contributions here.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Fiyero
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 5266

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Space Ghost
                          I like to think that Lebowski hangs on every small word I publish on my personal daily blog. How could I then, in good conscience, leave CUF? I would be, in effect, rejecting Lebowski's magnificent oeuvre of work... not only here (6,218 posts and counting), but in his two previous lives hither (9,579 posts) and yon (4,129 posts). If I left, then I would expect that he would return my disparagement in kind. As a result, my blog followers would drop by 33%... from 3 to 2 (only my parents would remain).

                          Yes JL, that is (another) not-so-subtle dig on the neglect given to your own personal blog!

                          Just to be clear, the intention of my post was merely to "Gripe. Complain. Make suggestions." (as the subheading of Town Hall suggests).

                          cheers.

                          (PS. The fog did not return the following evening, so no additional picture of house lights backlit by fog is forthcoming.)
                          I have no idea what you just said, but I want to hear more about this ghost planet.

                          Comment

                          • creekster
                            It is NOT a monkey!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22661

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Space Ghost
                            As a result, my blog followers would drop by 33%... from 3 to 2 (only my parents would remain).
                            Maybe if you didnt go all Nurse Ratchett on anyone that tries to let the topic meander you might get more followers on your blog?
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                            Comment

                            • FN Phat
                              I ♥ gateway sex
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 8691

                              #29
                              Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              Maybe if you didnt go all Nurse Ratchett on anyone that tries to let the topic meander you might get more followers on your blog?
                              You need to learn to play nice in the sandbox for fear that you might make Johnny run away.
                              I'm your huckleberry.


                              "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                              Comment

                              • woot
                                Resident Science Cop
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 5531

                                #30
                                I assume it's the ridiculous bias of the options that have made this poll even remotely close. How anyone could prefer the CB style format over this one is beyond me. On CB all you get is drive-by comments that ignore everything that came before. Here, we can just refer people to in-depth threads on the subject if someone starts popping off. Sure, some thread-jacking occurs here and there, but it is a very small price to pay for the ability to have anything more than superficial discourse.

                                Comment

                                Working...