2020 College Football Thread (RIP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 College Football Thread (RIP)

Los Angeles County’s stay-at-home orders will “with all certainty” be extended for the next three months, county Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer acknowledged during a Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday.
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ard-new-normal

Yeah, college football ain't happening.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Yeah, college football ain't happening.
    What if school starts up in January, and they play a short season that semester?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      What if school starts up in January, and they play a short season that semester?
      The problem with football is you need a good 4-5 weeks of camp/practice before the season starts. If kids aren't on campus in Nov/Dec, then practice won't be happening. I guess you could just move football to Feb-May but that might not work for some schools that share facilities, of course we still may not have fans in the stands so maybe the size of hte facility doens't matter.

I just don't think college football has the logistics and money to have a season this year. The money isn't there for a large portion of teams to have a season where they have to spend millions on additional logistics, testing, etc. and that money certainly isn't there if there are no fans in the stands buying tickets/souvenirs/concessions/etc.

THe only thing I think might happen is that the NCAA leaves it up to conferences to decide what to do and the SEC (and maybe one or two others) decides to play a conference only schedule, which is there only option. The SEC has the facilities and money but most importantly they would have the backing of most of their local/state governments and fans to play. I think they might even have some level of fans in the stadium. But the PAC ain't doing that and a good portion of the Big 10 and ACC wouldn't either.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Look, I think you're right that there will be no football this season. I'm just trying to hold onto the outside hope that it somehow works out. I still haven't cancelled my reservations for the BYU @ Minnesota game.

Comment

Yeah, college football ain't happening in Pac-12 country.
          FIFY.

As I mentioned in another thread the SEC and Big-12 are making other plans with rescheduling their California Pac-12 games. Hopefully, BYU is doing the same with their two California games. Of course, the question is would the non-cali Pac-12 teams be blocked from playing their games. That would suck for Utah.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
            FIFY.

As I mentioned in another thread the SEC and Big-12 are making other plans with rescheduling their California Pac-12 games. Hopefully, BYU is doing the same with their two California games. Of course, the question is would the non-cali Pac-12 teams be blocked from playing their games. That would suck for Utah.
            If the Pac-12 doesn't play then their players should be allowed to transfer with no penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by wapiti View Post
              If the Pac-12 doesn't play then their players should be allowed to transfer with no penalty.
              Also someone should give Utah a swift kick in the crotch just because.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                Also someone should give Utah a swift kick in the crotch just because.
                Amen, hallelujah, amen.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Big 12 will have football even if President E. Gordon Gee has to suit up...

WVU president Gee vows football will be played, even if he has to 'suit up'

West Virginia University president E. Gordon Gee vows that the Mountaineers will play football this fall “even if I have suit up.”

“I’ve got my ankles taped, I’m ready to go in,” the 76-year-old Gee joked in an interview with WOWK-TV broadcast this week. “But I think again, with everything we’re going to do it based on what is safe, what is healthy for our fans and what is healthy for our student athletes. But I do believe that we will play football.”

Despite uncertainly around the coronavirus pandemic, all Big 12 schools, including West Virginia, plan to open campuses for the fall semester, a key step toward launching fall sports.
                  [...]
                  https://www.post-gazette.com/news/na...s/202005140127
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

https://twitter.com/TollyTaylor/stat...234430978?s=19

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                      https://twitter.com/TollyTaylor/stat...234430978?s=19

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                      Seems like a smart move... Get the students home before prime flu season.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Thanks, Houston.

Bunch of diseased rubes.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

It's interesting to watch everything unfold during this pandemic. It seems no one wants to make the first move, so they're trying to maximize options. Well what's going to happen after the Ivy League schools make their decision today?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              It's interesting to watch everything unfold during this pandemic. It seems no one wants to make the first move, so they're trying to maximize options. Well what's going to happen after the Ivy League schools make their decision today?

The Ivy League was the first domino when they canceled their conference basketball tournament. Everyone followed suit within the next day or two. I just don't see any way we have football this fall.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X