Anderson/Sitake exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson/Sitake exchange

The way that played out was great for BYU.

Anderson is a great DC. Yes, KW is the brains behind the system but without Anderson I expect the U's defense to drop a notch without a quality DC. Sitake is not a quality DC. He's an offensive player who's only been in the coaching business a few years.

Sitake's a good nitch recruiter for Polynesian recruits, but as a DC he won't be taken seriously.

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

Anderson is a great DC. Yes, KW is the brains behind the system but without Anderson I expect the U's defense to drop a notch without a quality DC. Sitake is not a quality DC. He's an offensive player who's only been in the coaching business a few years.

Sitake's a good nitch recruiter for Polynesian recruits, but as a DC he won't be taken seriously.
    The logic here is if you played offense you can't be a good defensive coach.

Alrighty then.....

Comment

Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post

Alrighty then.....
      Of course it does....Brother Edwards was a defensive guy remember? Look how that turned out.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Utah is doomed...
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Alrighty then.....
          No. But the combination of only a few years coaching experience + being offensive player is bad. Not playing the position in college or NFL doesn't mean you can't become a good coach at it, but it puts you behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
            Utah is doomed...
            Did I say you were doomed? All I really care about Utah is how it relates to BYU. So your coaching change is more interesting to me than you in a BCS game because it affects us in recruiting and future matchups with you. Sitake for Anderson is a great trade from a BYU perspective.

Comment

No. But the combination of only a few years coaching experience + being offensive player is bad. Not playing the position in college or NFL doesn't mean you can't become a good coach at it, but it puts you behind.
              You have a lot to learn about coaching.

Comment

You have a lot to learn about coaching.
                So what part of my post do you find wrong?

"No. But the combination of only a few years coaching experience + being offensive player is bad. Not playing the position in college or NFL doesn't mean you can't become a good coach at it, but it puts you behind. "

Comment

I have seen plenty of offensive players, coach the defensive side of the ball. It happens all the time. Most of them are position coaches for several years like Sitake. The thing that Sitake will struggle with is running the whole defense, blitzing schemes, coverages, etc. Because he hasnt seen that stuff as much as other coaches (youth as well as no time on that side of the ball). Other coaches can rely on stuff from their playing days where Sitake doesnt have that to draw upon.

Just my opinion. Mainly though its youth and lack of experience.
                  *Banned*

Comment

So what part of my post do you find wrong?

"No. But the combination of only a few years coaching experience + being offensive player is bad. Not playing the position in college or NFL doesn't mean you can't become a good coach at it, but it puts you behind. "
                    Oh I don't know...maybe the dripping combo of arrogance and ignorance behind the statement.....take your pick.

Comment

Oh I don't know...maybe the dripping combo of arrogance and ignorance behind the statement.....take your pick.
                      His lack of playing defense in college or NFL puts him "behind". (i.e. Brandon Doman's career playing QB in college and NFL and constant interaction with his position coach put him ahead of Sitake in year 1 of their coaching careers--not saying Sitake can't make it up over time)

Combine that with lack of experience coaching even at the position level, and you have the reason that most BYU fans have no fear of Sitake at the DC level and most U fans are scratching their heads at the pick.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        I have seen plenty of offensive players, coach the defensive side of the ball. It happens all the time. Most of them are position coaches for several years like Sitake. The thing that Sitake will struggle with is running the whole defense, blitzing schemes, coverages, etc. Because he hasnt seen that stuff as much as other coaches (youth as well as no time on that side of the ball). Other coaches can rely on stuff from their playing days where Sitake doesnt have that to draw upon.

Just my opinion. Mainly though its youth and lack of experience.
                        Rocky, junkie just repeated exactly what I said about Sitake.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Of course it does....Brother Edwards was a defensive guy remember? Look how that turned out.

Lavell didn't know the first thing about offense. He had to delegate it all.

Not that that point really matters to this discussion. I never claimed an offensive player can't make a good defensive coach or vice versa.

Comment

Rocky, junkie just repeated exactly what I said about Sitake.
                            Oh well in that case since Junkies opinions (I mean it) are actually respected on here then I'll defer to you.

You win.

In truth I get your point Jay, I just think it's a little ridiculous to assume he's gonna suck just because he never played defense at either level. He's been a coach for several years now, and like many coaches he's just making the next progressive step.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Utahs D take a little step back, but they'll be running virtually the same system.

Comment

Is Sitake even 30 years old yet? His problem is inexperience. Anyone with half a brain would acknowledge that.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Working...
                              X