The Pulled Pork Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
    In the pictures it looks like the bark was not really dark, but it could be just the pictures. Did the butt have a good bark developed before foiling? Do you slather the butt in mustard before applying the rub? This helps in bark formation alot. You can also firm up the bark a bit by not foiling until the FTC stage. I only foil if they are getting too dark. Or you can try using a rub that has sugar in it. Are you wrapping the butts individually or putting in a foil pan and covering? Last tip is to let the meat set for a little bit (10-15 min) unfoiled before pulling. It will give the bark a chance to firm back up a bit. But yeah, with 5-6 hours in foil, it will soften a bit.
    How does mustard help with the bark? When I do it I think it messes with the flavor.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Honestly, I dont know. It was something I read somewhere and it has been my experience that when I rub with mustard first, I develop a better bark. I think it gives the rub something to stick to. I have never noticed a difference in the flavor though. I usually spritz mine with apple juice and apple cider vinegar also, so maybe the vinegar masks the mustard taste? How much mustard are you using? I just use a very thin coating. Just enouugh to moisten the meat and help the rub stick. They are not fully yellow by a long shot.
      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Honestly, I dont know. It was something I read somewhere and it has been my experience that when I rub with mustard first, I develop a better bark. I think it gives the rub something to stick to. I have never noticed a difference in the flavor though. I usually spritz mine with apple juice and apple cider vinegar also, so maybe the vinegar masks the mustard taste? How much mustard are you using? I just use a very thin coating. Just enouugh to moisten the meat and help the rub stick. They are not fully yellow by a long shot.
        I kept it pretty thin but that old saying that you can't taste the mustard isn't true in my experience. You can definitely taste it. I have never had a problem having enough moisture to stick to with a pork roast. If I ever have something kind of dry, I usually go with olive oil before applying the rub. Maybe I need to give mustard another shot.

I keep a spray bottle of vinegar mop in my spare fridge and spray it on every 20-30 minutes during the last few hours of cooking. I like the resulting flavor. I also usually go all the way to 190 before foiling (see my post above). If you do that too, maybe I will stick with it.

Actually, in many cases I don't foil at all. For the faux cambro stage I just put in in a covered pan in the oven with water in the bottom. It softens the bark, but not like foil does.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Another 6 butts (48 lbs) on this morning. I wanted to put them on at 11 last night, but crashed out around 9pm. They went on at 545 this morning. I need to have them in the cambro by 4. Should be ok. I'm smoking them at 275 just to be safe and if I need, I'll bump the temp a bit if in running short on time.

I'll more than likely throw some beans together this afternoon. This is all for our big family get together tonight at my aunts house. Originally they wanted ribs, but no way in hell was I going to buy/smoke 20 racks of baby backs.
          "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• So let's say I put some small boneless pork butts in my roaster oven (since I don't yet have a smoker). First, let me confirm that the internal temperature is supposed to get to 190 degrees. Second, once it gets there, should I just reduce the roaster temp to 170 until meal time, or is it better to remove them from the heat source entirely?
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

In the pictures it looks like the bark was not really dark, but it could be just the pictures. Did the butt have a good bark developed before foiling? Do you slather the butt in mustard before applying the rub? This helps in bark formation alot. You can also firm up the bark a bit by not foiling until the FTC stage. I only foil if they are getting too dark. Or you can try using a rub that has sugar in it. Are you wrapping the butts individually or putting in a foil pan and covering? Last tip is to let the meat set for a little bit (10-15 min) unfoiled before pulling. It will give the bark a chance to firm back up a bit. But yeah, with 5-6 hours in foil, it will soften a bit.
              Yeah not real dark. rightly or wrongly, I attributed that to the rub. I don't use mustard but olive oil. I've tried mustard before but didnt see a differnce. I wrap them iindividually. Maybe I need to cut some more sugar into the rub to get the bark I'm looking for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                So let's say I put some small boneless pork butts in my roaster oven (since I don't yet have a smoker). First, let me confirm that the internal temperature is supposed to get to 190 degrees. Second, once it gets there, should I just reduce the roaster temp to 170 until meal time, or is it better to remove them from the heat source entirely?

When you can stick a fork in and turn it 180 degrees with no tugging, it's done. On the bbq, for me that is somewhere in the 190-200 range. I would error on getting the temp higher in the 190s.

As for resting, not sure. I'd probably wrap it in foil and stick it in your Normal oven at 170. Not sure that's right or wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  Yeah, and that gallon was only $18!
                  I just paid $4 for a small bottle of it and their rub at World Market.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

When you can stick a fork in and turn it 180 degrees with no tugging, it's done. On the bbq, for me that is somewhere in the 190-200 range. I would error on getting the temp higher in the 190s.

As for resting, not sure. I'd probably wrap it in foil and stick it in your Normal oven at 170. Not sure that's right or wrong.
                    What's the advantage of putting it in the normal oven over the roaster oven?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

What's the advantage of putting it in the normal oven over the roaster oven?

Steadir temps? Not sitting against the heat source? Those are my thought.

Comment

Steadir temps? Not sitting against the heat source? Those are my thought.
                        And not wasting pellets.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          And not wasting pellets.
                          What type of pellets does a roaster oven use?

Sorry, I'm the low life of the thread trying to pull my meat with no smoker.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

What type of pellets does a roaster oven use?

Sorry, I'm the low life of the thread trying to pull my meat with no smoker.
                            Nothing wrong with using what you have. I'd put a rack in the bottom of the roaster to keep the meat off of direct contact with the heat source. Rub the pork with whatever rub you want and then cook it covered in your roaster. When it gets close, pour some apple juice over it and let it go until done.

Comment

• Got the meat on at 545 am and off at 315-330. They were all between 195-200 except one. It was a little hard to pull, but the flavor was good. I had to bump the temp to 300 for the last hour or so so I could make my 4pm time. Kept it in the cambro until 6. Just pulled it and the taste is great. No mustard rub this time, no spritz (I was out if apple juice). Used a combo of a couple rubs I had.

Comment

• Here is mine from today.

image.jpg

Crap. Sorry about the blurry picture.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X