The Official Brisket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    Also, if you don't own a smoker, is all lost in terms of cooking a delish brisket?
    What a difference three years makes.

I consistently shoot myself in the foot. I decided to do JL's method, but my brisket was almost 12 pounds in the package, probably 10.5 after trimming. I decided to put it on at 3am to make up for the slightly larger size. I don't know why, but my iphone alarm didn't wake me, so I got the brisket on at 6:20, with dinner time at 6:00. I bumped the temp to 250. Hopefully that gets me back on track.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• The brisket gods were shining down on me this weekend. As I was strolling through costco's meat market, I noticed they had a whole packer brisket, which they never have here. When I looked closer, it was prime grade! When I looked at the price, I was shocked. $3.99/lb! I bought all they had left, which was only 2. The choice flats they were selling were $6.19/lb.
      "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Smoking 60lbs of prime grade brisket this weekend for a party, along with 15 racks of ribs should be fun. Going to use just a basic salt and pepper rub.
        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Salt and pepper rub. I was out of black ops.

Comment

• Bowl game brisket:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I let it sit for a while before taking pictures, but it was really moist. This was the best one I've done so far.
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I'm trying injecting for the first time tomorrow. The injection instructions call for letting it sit 4 hours after injecting before cooking. I assume it okay for the brisket to sit longer (like overnight in the fridge) after injecting? Since I'm going to start smoking about 6:00am.

Also, I haven't done brisket in a while. In the past I've smoked it using oak/hickory up to 165, then wrapped in foil with some beef broth and continued in the oven to 200, then hold in the oven until carving. Should I do anything differently if I'm also injecting?
              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                I'm trying injecting for the first time tomorrow. The injection instructions call for letting it sit 4 hours after injecting before cooking. I assume it okay for the brisket to sit longer (like overnight in the fridge) after injecting? Since I'm going to start smoking about 6:00am.

Also, I haven't done brisket in a while. In the past I've smoked it using oak/hickory up to 165, then wrapped in foil with some beef broth and continued in the oven to 200, then hold in the oven until carving. Should I do anything differently if I'm also injecting?
                Your technique is fine. And no prob letting it sit overnight.

What injection are you using?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I bought some Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket Injection from BBQ Pit Stop in Lehi that I'm going to try.
                  "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

I also have some Black Ops rub. I think several people here have said they like it. Either that or Ploughboy's Bovine Bold.

Comment

• Butchers inside, black ops outside. Good combo!
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        I bought some Butcher BBQ Prime Brisket Injection from BBQ Pit Stop in Lehi that I'm going to try.
                        Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        I also have some Black Ops rub. I think several people here have said they like it. Either that or Ploughboy's Bovine Bold.

That is my standard combo.

Next time I am going to try the Aaron Franklin method for the rub. 50/50 mix of kosher salt and coarse-ground black pepper. Just to see how it turns out.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• 200 internal seems a bit high. I'd check it at least at 190 and see if it's done and then every so often until it's ready. I don't think I've ever had a brisket make it to 200 before being ready, typically I'm around 195 but can be as low as 190. Otherwise the plan sounds bullet proof.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            200 internal seems a bit high. I'd check it at least at 190 and see if it's done and then every so often until it's ready. I don't think I've ever had a brisket make it to 200 before being ready, typically I'm around 195 but can be as low as 190. Otherwise the plan sounds bullet proof.
                            http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

The rest of us have to rely on temperature, and despite their bravado, the top pitmasters on the competition circuit all use digital thermometers to help them. A lot will depend on the quality of the meat, how moist the air is in the cooker, if you injected, and how long you crutched. I've heard skilled cooks tell me every number from 195 to 205°F. A lot of top competitors swear by 203°F, and I have noticed that something magic does seem to happen at this number. At this temp, the thermometer probe glides in effortlessly, like buttah (once it gets through the bark). If it never gets tender, pull it off before it hits 205°F.

Comment

• Well I'll be
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Lots of people inject and rub the night before, KC. Like others have said, there isn't anything wrong with it. Regarding final temp, I've had 202F degrees be the magic number for me. N=1. I go by probe tenderness now and just verify with the thermometer.

The brisket a few posts up was probably 205F when I took it off. It was still great. I would have failed the finger test in a competition, but we like it more tender at home anyway and were very happy. I could still cut slices easily without the meat shredding under the knife.
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X