Why do you or yours hate Mother's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    It is, apparently, when they do it "really aggressively." I saw a couple of women pinned down and being force fed by the distributors, "You'll eat this See's Candy chocolate butter caramel and like it, dammit!"

Ugly. I owe KK an apology.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by ScoopJahoop View Post
      No, because she didn’t go. So she didn’t have to deal with fuckwits like you.
      Am I being too aggressive for your sensibility here? I am very sorry. I promise that if you or your wife ever attend my ward I will not try to give you a flower or a treat or any other small token of appreciation because how weird and aggressive is that?
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        It is, apparently, when they do it "really aggressively." I saw a couple of women pinned down and being force fed by the distributors, "You'll eat this See's Candy chocolate butter caramel and like it, dammit!"
        The horror.

Unrelated questions: what is your meeting house address and do they do a similar thing for fathers' day?
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

My facebook feed got bombarded with anti-Mother's day rhetoric. My mom loves mothers' day. She loves the recognition and gifts; the meals and kind words. My stepmom hates it. I'm pretty sure she acted like she hated it so that everyone would fawn on her and tell her how wonderful she is.

But this year, I heard a few different reasons for anti-Mother's day stances:

1. "It makes me feel like I'm a failure when I hear people praise their mother for being perfect. I know I'm not perfect, and I never will be."

2. "My family is incapable of doing nice things for me without an excess of drama. After listening to them fight over why the sausage was still frozen and bitching about why we didn't have orange juice, I just got up and made myself a bowl of instant oatmeal."

3. "My kids don't know what they're supposed to do for me on mothers' day, because they have never had someone show them how to treat me with respect and honor."

4. "I'm deliberately not a mother. I don't want to be honored as one on Mothers' Day."
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            My facebook feed got bombarded with anti-Mother's day rhetoric. My mom loves mothers' day. She loves the recognition and gifts; the meals and kind words. My stepmom hates it. I'm pretty sure she acted like she hated it so that everyone would fawn on her and tell her how wonderful she is.

But this year, I heard a few different reasons for anti-Mother's day stances:

1. "It makes me feel like I'm a failure when I hear people praise their mother for being perfect. I know I'm not perfect, and I never will be."

2. "My family is incapable of doing nice things for me without an excess of drama. After listening to them fight over why the sausage was still frozen and bitching about why we didn't have orange juice, I just got up and made myself a bowl of instant oatmeal."

3. "My kids don't know what they're supposed to do for me on mothers' day, because they have never had someone show them how to treat me with respect and honor."

4. "I'm deliberately not a mother. I don't want to be honored as one on Mothers' Day."
            1. No one actually think their mother or wife is perfect, but talking about them this way is a way to honor and appreciate them. Get over yourself.
            2. Yes, sometimes a good mother (or father or other leader) has to actually be involved in the process of your children honoring you as a mother. It's part of the job. Get over yourself.
            3. It's a nice slam on her husband, I'll let it stand.
            4. 99.9% of females in the history of the world who had the ability to have children, had children. Get over yourself.

I can't deal with Mother's Day complaining. Thank God my wife doesn't pull this crap. In my ward, it's gotten so bad, the Bishop and RS President decided together not to pass out treats, not to assign Mother's Day topics to speakers, and not to have a Mother's Day topic lesson in RS. I've thought of my ward as being pretty progressive for the most part, but I guess that's the problem.

Comment

Is she wrong here?
              Yes, she’s wrong but I won’t tell you where.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

All the angst over Mother's Day are symptoms of exactly why we couldn't elect Hillary Clinton.
                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  1. No one actually think their mother or wife is perfect, but talking about them this way is a way to honor and appreciate them. Get over yourself.
                  2. Yes, sometimes a good mother (or father or other leader) has to actually be involved in the process of your children honoring you as a mother. It's part of the job. Get over yourself.
                  3. It's a nice slam on her husband, I'll let it stand.
                  4. 99.9% of females in the history of the world who had the ability to have children, had children. Get over yourself.

I can't deal with Mother's Day complaining. Thank God my wife doesn't pull this crap. In my ward, it's gotten so bad, the Bishop and RS President decided together not to pass out treats, not to assign Mother's Day topics to speakers, and not to have a Mother's Day topic lesson in RS. I've thought of my ward as being pretty progressive for the most part, but I guess that's the problem.
                  Good post.

My wife is also not crazy so she had a good mother's day even though the kids and I sucked in carrying it out.

One thing that did piss her off was that the bishopric had candy bars for the women (pretty lame, imo, when a bunch were mounds and almond joys uke: )But the young men got there first and some grabbed three or more of the full sized bars for themselves. The Bishop's little asshole son was one of the culprits, though he only took two. My daughter threatened him with bodily harm if he took anymore.

Comment

Kate Kelly is nuts, but Mormon mothers day is weird. Getting less weird, but still weird.
                    I went to West Point. For a while I felt cheated because I never had the typical poly sci class with some faggity real life commie professor. I went through a sort of academic phase for 45 minutes or so in my early thirties after I got out of the Army and discovered these message boards. I kinda know where you are. You will get over it and realize the mormons have so many things more right than you ever realized.

Now get off my lawn.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...3&action=click
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                      The horror.

Unrelated questions: what is your meeting house address and do they do a similar thing for fathers' day?
                      This. If we could pool our resources, we could hit a few sweet spots. We get pie. What else is out there?

Comment

• Honestly, I'm not sure SMR's ward doesn't have the right idea.

There are people who loathe the day, so maybe it makes sense to blow it all up. If you want to celebrate mother's day, then celebrate it however you'd like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          Honestly, I'm not sure SMR's ward doesn't have the right idea.

There are people who loathe the day, so maybe it makes sense to blow it all up. If you want to celebrate mother's day, then celebrate it however you'd like.
                          Same with Christmas.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure Jay Santos' ward doesn't have the right idea.

FIFY
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              Same with Christmas.
                              Ha. Disagree.

Comment

Honestly, I'm not sure SMR's ward doesn't have the right idea.

If you meant my ward, I think by far more women didn't like that than liked it. Wife said many women were trying to shift the discussion to Mother's Day topic in RS and seemed to be upset they dropped it all.

Comment

Working...
                                X