X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    Who is the gibbon?
    The monkey.
    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

I taught seminary the school year before last. For that calling I shaved my beard (my choice; no one even suggested I do so). I had the beard for about 2 years before that. After the school year ended, I grew back the beard and had various permutations of it up until around Christmas time. Then I shaved it; again, just for change. I was called as a bishop two months later. So, you may want to keep that beard for a long time.
      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
        Wow. So I guess President Monson, Bronco Mendenhall and General David Petraeus all look like sissies.
        Yes and it affects there job performance, too.

Monson never makes the prop 8 decision if he has a pencil mustache, Petraeus learns the lessons of Iraq and counter insurgency that much quicker with a rapper's delight, and Bronco figures out that Ratliff might scramble in 05' and the refs do not dare give the pass int. call on Matt Allen against AZ if Bronco has mutton chops (and we make a damn field goal.

Shaving has cost BYU personally a BCS bowl game, Mormons generally the respect of the people of California and the nation years of progress in Iraq.

Comment

Old Dutch is the way to go, and I welcome you to a union of brotherhood that will encircle us into a deep bond!
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            I've been thinking of shaving my plumage, but if you're going to join me, maybe I'll reconsider. Now, go and get pellegrino to participate.
            I have a perpetual three day beard, unless you see me on Sundays and Wednesdays (usually only during the school year) which are my "shave days." I'm not really interested in growing anything longer, especially now that I'm getting gray whiskers.
            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
            Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

No one has mentioned wifely influence yet. I grew a mustache during my first year of law school just as a lark. I kept it for 25 years because my wife (whom I married in my thirs year) really, really liked it and insisted that I keep it. When I finally got really tired of it and shaved it off, she went through a period of mourning. (Well, it was really mock morning. But she really missed it.) She had never seen me without it - neither had my kids. I was surprised as how much they all had to adjust.

I added a beard about 10 years into our marriage but she was not as enamored of that. It lasted about two months.

Those of you who have or had beards and mustaches - how has your wife reacted to your facial hair's presence or absence?
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                No one has mentioned wifely influence yet. I grew a mustache during my first year of law school just as a lark. I kept it for 25 years because my wife (whom I married in my thirs year) really, really liked it and insisted that I keep it. When I finally got really tired of it and shaved it off, she went through a period of mourning. (Well, it was really mock morning. But she really missed it.) She had never seen me without it - neither had my kids. I was surprised as how much they all had to adjust.

I added a beard about 10 years into our marriage but she was not as enamored of that. It lasted about two months.

Those of you who have or had beards and mustaches - how has your wife reacted to your facial hair's presence or absence?
                My wife has never seen me with out a mustache. I don't know what she would do if I shaved it off.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                  I have a perpetual three day beard, unless you see me on Sundays and Wednesdays (usually only during the school year) which are my "shave days." I'm not really interested in growing anything longer, especially now that I'm getting gray whiskers.
                  I figure I'm about 1o years away from quitting higher ed and becoming a full-time Santa Claus, though I'm not sure if kids would go for a red & white fur guayabera and shorts.
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
                    My wife has never seen me with out a mustache. I don't know what she would do if I shaved it off.
                    On your 60th birthday you should shave it. That is what Solon's dad did. Took awhile for everyone to notice but they were all like... "Something's different I just cant put my finger on it"
                    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
                      Ask her if she stopped watching Jeopardy! when Trebek shaved.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I've been wearing my beard for about four weeks, so today I went and had it styled.

All I can say is: Thank you, heaven, for those old guys at the barber shops. Unlike the twenty-somethings who work at the supercuts-type places, old barber man knows more than one week's worth of cosmotology school about facial hair.

Barber man knows what he is doing, and the guy I went to likes teaching the young bucks.

He said that my type of face (oval) looks great with almost any beard, but we decided to go with a short boxed beard:

http://www.yeeeeee.com/wp-content/20...eardtypes1.jpg

Oh yes, and SIRS loves it.
                        Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-13-2010, 01:45 PM.
                        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

My friend bet me $50 I wouldn't shave my beard. I used his money to buy a case of peaches, some pectin for canning them, some yellow squash, and took the family out to dinner (and got some ice cream too).

I did shave one more time because the wife made it worthwhile. I'll be Anthrax-worthy by Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                            I've been wearing my beard for about four weeks, so today I went and had it styled.

All I can say is: Thank you, heaven, for those old guys at the barber shops. Unlike the twenty-somethings who work at the supercuts-type places, old barber man knows more than one week's worth of cosmotology school about facial hair.

Barber man knows what he is doing, and the guy I went to likes teaching the young bucks.

He said that my type of face (oval) looks great with almost any beard, but we decided to go with a short boxed beard:

http://www.yeeeeee.com/wp-content/20...eardtypes1.jpg

I would have gone with the Super Mario.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

I"d like to see HFN clean up a bit by going with the French Fork. His Old Dutch is really getting out of control.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I shave once every 3-4 weeks

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                                What's the appeal of wearing a beard?

Which means I'm always moving along a spectrum from clean shave to 5:00 shadow to borderline full beard and then back to the beginning.

It's not really about being lazy - there's just nothing in my life that compels me to shave regularly and I don't see the point.
                                Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Working...
                                X