X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    So do I, but I don't want that much hassle. I also looked at getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-SHP...ef+high+output

but again decided it was too cumbersome. The Iwatani unit looks perfect. Nice and compact and one piece. Just turn it on and go. They say it generates plenty of heat for searing.
    Sweet. Looks like I have another purchase to make.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• I filled my house with smoke yesterday also. I put all the grates from my smoker in my oven and turned on the self clean. The grates look brand new, but my wife was not happy with me. I'm not allowed to clean the oven again.
      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
        I filled my house with smoke yesterday also. I put all the grates from my smoker in my oven and turned on the self clean. The grates look brand new, but my wife was not happy with me. I'm not allowed to clean the oven again.
        Double win for you!

Comment

• Feeling ambitious, I put together a very good Beef Bourguignon using this recipe. The comments nearly scared me off, but I followed the responses (sauteing thinly sliced carrots for 3 minutes first, browning the beef just a bit longer, then keeping the thing in the tank at 145 for a full 24 hours). I went with a good quality Pinot Noir; I'm sure all of the alcohol was cooked off during the reduction phase. Served it with a fresh baguette and Irish butter. Loved it, as did the missus who stands all amazed that I'm expanding my repertoire beyond tri-tip, filets and oatmeal. Looking forward to some leftovers.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Feeling ambitious, I put together a very good Beef Bourguignon using this recipe. The comments nearly scared me off, but I followed the responses (sauteing thinly sliced carrots for 3 minutes first, browning the beef just a bit longer, then keeping the thing in the tank at 145 for a full 24 hours). I went with a good quality Pinot Noir; I'm sure all of the alcohol was cooked off during the reduction phase. Served it with a fresh baguette and Irish butter. Loved it, as did the missus who stands all amazed that I'm expanding my repertoire beyond tri-tip, filets and oatmeal. Looking forward to some leftovers.
            Dang. I have always wanted to try that dish. The comments seem a little mixed (carrots to tough, beef not tender, etc.). Any deviations from the recipe?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Dang. I have always wanted to try that dish. The comments seem a little mixed (carrots to tough, beef not tender, etc.). Any deviations from the recipe?
              Yes, after reading the comments I was thinking of backing off, but decided to go for it. For the carrots, rather than follow the instruction, I simply cut them into fairly thin slices and sauted them 3 minutes longer than instructed, adding a pinch of baking soda. Similarly, I browned the beef a few minutes longer. I upped the temp to 145 and let it cook for a full 24 hours. The carrots were just fine. I suppose the beef could have been more tender, but it wasn't at all tough, and the flavor was outstanding. I'll definitely do it again, if that tells you anything.

Comment

Feeling ambitious, I put together a very good Beef Bourguignon using this recipe. The comments nearly scared me off, but I followed the responses (sauteing thinly sliced carrots for 3 minutes first, browning the beef just a bit longer, then keeping the thing in the tank at 145 for a full 24 hours). I went with a good quality Pinot Noir; I'm sure all of the alcohol was cooked off during the reduction phase. Served it with a fresh baguette and Irish butter. Loved it, as did the missus who stands all amazed that I'm expanding my repertoire beyond tri-tip, filets and oatmeal. Looking forward to some leftovers.
                You're good with eating alcohol.

At a reception McKay attended, the hostess served rum cake. “All the guests hesitated, watching to see what McKay would do. He smacked his lips and began to eat.” When one guest expostulated, “‘But President McKay, don’t you know that is rum cake?’ McKay smiled and reminded the guest that the Word of Wisdom forbade drinking alcohol, not eating it.”
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Did some big thick pork chops last night in the sous vide. Marinated the chops in an asian sauce then grilled and served with more of the sauce and topped with green onion and cilantro. Delish.

However... I did the searing using a cast iron pan as usual. I got distracted as the pan was heating up and when I through the chops on, the kitchen (and house) was immediately filled with smoke. I use avocado oil, so I think the marinate and the high heat were the problem. We had to open all the windows and turn on some fans. 2-3 hours later and house still smelled greasy. My wife (who is super sensitive to smells) informed me that we have done our last sous vide meal.

Desperate times call for desperate measures so I did some research on outdoor searing. Looked at lots of options, but ended up buying this unit:

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corpo...f_rd_i=desktop

In addition to sous vide, I look forward to using it for Korean BBQ, Japanese yakiniku, and other dishes cooked at the table. Not to mention camping, I guess. Excited to give it a shot. I will return and report.
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  So do I, but I don't want that much hassle. I also looked at getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-SHP...ef+high+output

but again decided it was too cumbersome. The Iwatani unit looks perfect. Nice and compact and one piece. Just turn it on and go. They say it generates plenty of heat for searing.
                  I saw that the Iwatani was rated at 15K BTU, the camp chef 4X more. Most of the portable Coleman camp stoves are 10K BTU per burner. Do you happen to know if 10K BTU produces sufficient enough heat for searing? Sometimes use the Coleman to cook on the outdoor patio while also grilling to save trips inside to the kitchen. But have not tried searing on the Coleman.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                    I saw that the Iwatani was rated at 15K BTU, the camp chef 4X more. Most of the portable Coleman camp stoves are 10K BTU per burner. Do you happen to know if 10K BTU produces sufficient enough heat for searing? Sometimes use the Coleman to cook on the outdoor patio while also grilling to save trips inside to the kitchen. But have not tried searing on the Coleman.
                    Not sure, but I read a thread where some guy bought the Iwatani specifically for sous vide searing and he said it was more than enough heat. Said it was much hotter than his kitchen stove. Also, some people buy these to cook with a wok, due to the high heat output. I would love to try that.

Give me a few days and I can verify. The unit arrived but now I am waiting on the butane canister shipment.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I just ordered one from best buy, $94.99 using a code and visa checkout. https://slickdeals.net/f/9678456-ano...ckout-free-s-h
                      "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        This thread also inspired me to get a meat slicer. Our elder quorum/high priest group is doing a potato bar activity. I'm going to sous vide a brisket, slice it up, and deliver. Can't wait.
                        "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

• I finally got around to fixing a belated dinner for 44th Valentine's Day. Did the tails on the Traeger and the filets in the sous vide. Both entrees were our best ever.

IMG_0024.jpg

Comment

I finally got around to fixing a belated dinner for 44th Valentine's Day. Did the tails on the Traeger and the filets in the sous vide. Both entrees were our best ever.

[ATTACH]7753[/ATTACH]
                            How did you cook the potatoes, you know, the most important part of any meal?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              How did you cook the potatoes, you know, the most important part of any meal?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              Quartered a bunch of small red potatoes, zapped then in a bowl for eight minutes in the microwave, then pan-fried them with butter and a variety of spices. Between the potatoes and the entrees we probably put away two cubes of butter. Nothin' wrong with that.

Comment

• For outdoor searing I just toss my cast-iron skillet on my propane grill. Works great.
                                "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                                X