The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    The book is fantastic. Looking forward to watching the movie.
    Prepare to be disappointed. Countless changes that were neither necessary nor better than the original story.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The "last movie I saw" thread

Has anyone seen “The Three Identical Strangers” Documentary (I did not see a post about it here)?

I have had co-workers recommend it. That is is well done and pretty shocking.

I am hoping PAC has it on his list to see and provide his review.

I am sure some of you older member may have remembered this story as it was national news back in the 80’s. The three identical twins separated at birth and adopted out.

Trailer:
      https://youtu.be/c-OF0OaK3o0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by dabrockster; 08-01-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• mission impossible. i realize i'm the grumpy moviegoer and action movies by their very nature are far-fetched, but this was ridiculous. it was entertaining for the most part and action packed, but they went too far too often with with the ridiculousness and it sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

this is the first MI i've seen - perhaps they are all so beyond preposterous.
        Last edited by smokymountainrain; 08-01-2018, 07:11 AM.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          mission impossible. i realize i'm the grumpy moviegoer and action movies by their very nature are far-fetched, but this was ridiculous. it was entertaining for the most part and action packed, but they went too far too often with with the ridiculousness and it sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

Yeah...the level of ridiculousness is extremely high...but it was a fun movie.

I will say this...they one thing that the MI movies always do well is vehicle chase scenes. That car/motorcycle chase scene was fantastic.

Comment

mission impossible. i realize i'm the grumpy moviegoer and action movies by their very nature are far-fetched, but this was ridiculous. it was entertaining for the most part and action packed, but they went too far too often with with the ridiculousness and it sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            Yeah...the level of ridiculousness is extremely high...but it was a fun movie.

I will say this...they one thing that the MI movies always do well is vehicle chase scenes. That car/motorcycle chase scene was fantastic.

Yeah, the car/motorcycle scene was great. The movie is a rollercoaster ride and fun entertainment. If you are looking for something a little more realistic try a documentary. I just watched this one recently and thought is was sort of interesting...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

No you're lame!

Can't believe you haven't seen any other MI movies. Let me suggest watching this video. If it excites you, then watch them. All, except for #2. Never happened.

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• I liked BlacKkKlansman that's based on a true story of black cop in Colorado Springs who went undercover with the KKK forty years ago. It's a cop buddy movie that has a lot of funny stuff combined with very serious social commentary. The clear message is that things haven't changed all that much since the '70s and earlier when the Klan was more out in the open. Spike Lee movies for me range from "sucks" to "really good", but this one may be his best. There's a very memorable scene that moves back and forth between Harry Belafonte's character telling a horrific story of black persecution in 1918, and a Klan meeting. And the final scenes are a real gut punch. I'd say they're heavy-handed, but then that's the point. No surprise, but it's clear Lee doesn't care much for Trump or for any of the Laura Ingraham America First types.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    I liked BlacKkKlansman that's based on a true story of black cop in Colorado Springs who went undercover with the KKK forty years ago. It's a cop buddy movie that has a lot of funny stuff combined with very serious social commentary. The clear message is that things haven't changed all that much since the '70s and earlier when the Klan was more out in the open. Spike Lee movies for me range from "sucks" to "really good", but this one may be his best. There's a very memorable scene that moves back and forth between Harry Belafonte's character telling a horrific story of black persecution in 1918, and a Klan meeting. And the final scenes are a real gut punch. I'd say they're heavy-handed, but then that's the point. No surprise, but it's clear Lee doesn't care much for Trump or for any of the Laura Ingraham America First types.
                    I thought this looked good and checked the imdb and it was 6.6. But that was before release date I think. It's up to 7.1 now which makes me think there was voting manipulation. My threshold is 7.2. Should I go for it?

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      I thought this looked good and checked the imdb and it was 6.6. But that was before release date I think. It's up to 7.1 now which makes me think there was voting manipulation. My threshold is 7.2. Should I go for it?
                      I'd vote yes. It has a 97% critics' score on Rotten Tomatoes, but only a 72% audience rating, reflecting in part, I'd assume, the political biases of the respective populations. Some of the shots it takes are contrived, but even those are interesting, including the effect movies like Gone with the Wind (it shows the iconic railyard scene) and Birth of a Nation (it essentially revived the Klan) had on the country.

Comment

• Anyone tried Moviepass? Right now it's only $9.99, seems like everyone should strike while the iron is hot. That deal can't last forever.

https://www.moviepass.com
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          Anyone tried Moviepass? Right now it's only $9.99, seems like everyone should strike while the iron is hot. That deal can't last forever.

I just cancelled. There are lots of restrictions that didn't use to be there. Can't see big budget releases for 2 weeks, a big reduction in the number of movies you can see a month, and a static number of movies that can be seen at some theaters across all moviepass users. For example, I tried to see a movie a few weeks ago at a popular theater. It said there were no further movies available at that theater because too many other moviepass users had already used the app there that day.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I liked BlacKkKlansman that's based on a true story of black cop in Colorado Springs who went undercover with the KKK forty years ago. It's a cop buddy movie that has a lot of funny stuff combined with very serious social commentary. The clear message is that things haven't changed all that much since the '70s and earlier when the Klan was more out in the open. Spike Lee movies for me range from "sucks" to "really good", but this one may be his best. There's a very memorable scene that moves back and forth between Harry Belafonte's character telling a horrific story of black persecution in 1918, and a Klan meeting. And the final scenes are a real gut punch. I'd say they're heavy-handed, but then that's the point. No surprise, but it's clear Lee doesn't care much for Trump or for any of the Laura Ingraham America First types.
                            As usual, PAC nails this review. I mostly dislike Spike Lee's work. Until this film, I think his best work was Air Jordan commercials. It was entertaining, albeit a little far-fetched, but good.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              Anyone tried Moviepass? Right now it's only $9.99, seems like everyone should strike while the iron is hot. That deal can't last forever.

It's been that price for like a year, and now it's imploding. Moviepass is dying, unfortunately.

Comment

• Three Identical Strangers - I dont remember seeing anything about their story when I was younger. Much darker than I anticipated.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X