The New Big Ten(12) Divisions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Big Ten(12) Divisions.

So, How do you think they will divide the new divisions? We have certain schools who play each other every year and I am concerned that we may lose some of those games. Having Penn St., Ohio St. and Michigan in one division also could be an issue considering you would be stacking the top 3 teams in one division, but I would much prefer this. This would leave Nebraska on its own in the other Division to play for the title game each year..

What do you see as the best Division split? Do they follow SEC's approach by ensuring rivalries stay intact? I like this idea, but it could possibly cause some problems if they separate say Ohio St. and Michigan but keep the rivalry game. They could possibly play twice in a season. The regular season game and then the title game.. But that could also garner even more marketing and excitement...

So How would you divide it?? Here is how I think it should be divided..

North:
    Nebraska
    Iowa
    Wisc.
    Minnesota
    Michigan
    Northwestern

South:
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Indiana
    Illini
    Michigan St.
    Purdue

And you allow 1 or 2 cross division games to ensure rivalries.. I'd HATE to not play Wisc every year but I think this would be good and I'd be Ok with it. You could see Nebraska vs Penn St as a cross division game and then the next year Nebraska vs. Michigan and Wisc. vs Ohio State other years.. But this keeps the Ohio St. vs. Michigan game each year which is vital...

I am not sure how they will do this but I hope they come up with a plan that would allow for some good games and keep tradition as best they can...

Look you have to go east west with this. Michigan Has to play Mich St and Ohio st every year.

East
    Penn St
    Ohio St
    Michigan
    Michigan st
    Purdue
    Indiana

West
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Northwestern
    Nebraska
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
      Look you have to go east west with this. Michigan Has to play Mich St and Ohio st every year.

East
      Penn St
      Ohio St
      Michigan
      Michigan st
      Purdue
      Indiana

West
      Wisconsin
      Minnesota
      Illinois
      Iowa
      Northwestern
      Nebraska
      Seems oftly stacked in one conference that way... Which could be an issue, but I have no problem with that. We pretty much play all of them now anyway.. So it would be no different...

Comment

East
        Penn St
        Ohio St
        Michigan
        Michigan st
        Purdue
        Indiana

West
        Wisconsin
        Minnesota
        Illinois
        Iowa
        Northwestern
        Nebraska
        Doesn't Michigan also have to play Minnesota every year for the little old jug or something like that?
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
          Seems oftly stacked in one conference that way... Which could be an issue, but I have no problem with that. We pretty much play all of them now anyway.. So it would be no different...
          Just because it stacked right now doesnt mean it will always be stacked.
          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
            Doesn't Michigan also have to play Minnesota every year for the little old jug or something like that?
            That is one of the rivalries that gets split up every 3rd year. Its the l[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Brown_Jug_%28American_football%29[/ame]

Comment

That is one of the rivalries that gets split up every 3rd year. Its the lhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_...an_football%29
              I remember watching the end of the 2005 game and Minnesota won, I believe with late drama. When the ESPN person was interviewing Glen Mason and he said "I gotta go see what that damn jug looks like" I thought that was pretty cool.

Rivalries, even one sided ones, help make the game more fun.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                Purdue and Indiana have one as well, along with Northewestern and Illini..

There are several interstate rivalry games within the conference...

Here is a list of them:
                http://purduejax.org/oakenbucket.html

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                  They seem pretty even to me.

Last year's powers in each division: Ohio St, Penn. State -- Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin

If anything the West was stronger last year.

I think your assumption is that Michigan is usually a stronger team in the Big 10.

My guess is Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan will usually be pretty strong. In the other division Nebraska will be, but there will usually be another strong team in that division each year.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                    They seem pretty even to me.

Last year's powers in each division: Ohio St, Penn. State -- Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin

If anything the West was stronger last year.

I think your assumption is that Michigan is usually a stronger team in the Big 10.

My guess is Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan will usually be pretty strong. In the other division Nebraska will be, but there will usually be another strong team in that division each year.

You are correct. I am assuming that Michigan will be back on top (After Rod leaves of course). Then you will more than likely have two top 5 teams in one division and Penn St another elite team. None of the other teams in the west have that strong of a history as these three..

Last year Wisc and Iowa were good, but are they consistently a top 10 team? No.. Not like Ohio St, Penn St. or Michigan are... That could be one stacked division (Which would be awesome as well)..

I am good with the West and East Divisions.. But part of me wants to see some big shake up in this.. We'll see what they do..

Comment

Working...
                    X