2020 BYU Cougars Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    When you start caring what SDSU’s student section thinks, you care too much.
    It means I need to curate my social media feeds better.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
      I know what's likely, but any journalist/fan base/AD department in the West that can push the negative narrative, will.

But I have to say, SDSU fans online are crowing that their team actually follows the "anytime anywhere" mantra all the while showing where they stand in the college football world by being a bitch to the PAC-12.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Come back and tell us what they are saying after Zach Wilson detonates their team and RUTS in 2 weeks.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
        When you start caring what SDSU’s student section thinks, you care too much.
        This.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• On Fox's Big Noon Kickoff, Reggie Bush:

Originally posted by Reggie Bush
          I kind of view BYU and Cincinnati on the same level, the same caliber of football teams. Both play great defense. BYU may have the best quarterback in college football. And they're both undefeated. I just didn't understand how they dropped so far down. I really didn't see that big of a gap between Cincinnati's strength of schedule and BYU's strength of schedule. So that was the one that shocked me a little bit.
          And Urban Meyer:

Originally posted by Urban Meyer
          I kind of started following that same narrative last week that UC, Cincinnati and BYU played in a bad conference, they played bad teams. I watched that game on TV...and Monday and Tuesday and I watched Cincinnati and BYU. I'm telling you from...a lot of experience pushing the play button, Reggie, they're really good. I think...Cincinnati should be higher. I think BYU should be much higher. You have the Pac-12, Big-12, Big-10 - they easily could be in those conference championship games. That's how good I think they are...
          When talking about the committee and the lack of intraconference games:

Originally posted by Urban Meyer
          When eye test is this important, who is pushing play on the clicker and what are you watching?
          Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            On Fox's Big Noon Kickoff, Reggie Bush:

And Urban Meyer:

When talking about the committee and the lack of intraconference games:

I don't think the Committee looked at BYU in good faith, but Urban Meyer makes an excellent point. Why do we have a CFP committee that has little to no experience evaluating tape? There shouldn't be a committee ... but if there is one, it should be made up entirely of former coaches that know how to recognize a good team from how they play on the field (not stats taken out of context). Get some former NFL coaches on there to keep it a little more honest.

Comment

• Compare BYU this season to Utah in 2004:

Wins against teams with .500 or better record:

Utah (2004): 4
              BYU (2020): 5

Regular season wins against ranked teams:

Utah (2004): 0
              BYU (2020): 1

Best opponent's record:

Utah (2004): 7-5 (.583)
              BYU (2020): 4-1 (.800) (so far)

Average win percentage of opponents:

Utah (2004): 42.4%
              BYU (2020): 44.2%

Average win percentage of opponents over .500:

Utah (2004): 56.25%
              BYU (2020): 58.33%

Yards per game (offense):

Utah (2004): 499.8 (3rd)
              BYU (2020): 535.7 (6th)

Points per game (offense):

Utah (2004): 45.3 (3rd)
              BYU (2020): 47.6 (4th)

Yard allowed per game (defense):

Utah (2004): 350.3 (45th)
              BYU (2020): 293.3 (8th)

Points allowed per game (defense):

Utah (2004): 20.6 (30th)
              BYU (2020): 13.9 (5th)

QB Pass Efficiency Rating:

Alex Smith (2004): 176.5 (2nd)
              Zach Wilson (2020): 201.60 (4th)

ESPN QBR rating:

Alex Smith (2004): 84.5 (2nd)
              Zach Wilson (2020): 88.0 (7th)

Most recent AP ranking:

Utah (2004): 4th
              BYU (2020): 8th

Most recent Coaches Ranking:

Utah (2004): 5th
              BYU (2020): 8th

Massey Composite Ranking:

Utah (2004): 6th (https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/arch/compare2004-15.htm)
              BYU (2020): 6th (https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm)

BCS Standings/CFP Ranking:

Utah (2004): 6th (7th when 9-0)
              BYU (2020): 14th

Bowl Game:

Utah (2004): Fiesta Bowl
              BYU (2020): Undetermined ... but probably the Potato Bowl or a New Mexico Bowl that will probably be canceled by New Mexico's crazy Governor.

Never thought I'd say this, but BRING BACK THE BCS!
              Last edited by UVACoug; 11-28-2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• If the PAC12 were really interested in its stated purpose of preserving geographic and historical match-ups, it could have paired Washington and Colorado this weekend and left Utah free to play BYU instead of preserving that cherished SDSU/COLO match-up.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Let's all fast and pray that BYU gets this game:

https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/st...060972035?s=19

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    Let's all fast and pray that BYU gets this game:

https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/st...060972035?s=19

That would be cool. It's always tough traveling to the East Coast though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      That would be cool. It's always tough traveling to the East Coast though.
                      Miami was planning on an away game anyway, so why not Provo?
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Do it! LFG! Plenty of prep time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                          Do it! LFG! Plenty of prep time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          It would certainly shut up the peanut gallery. Miami is clearly better than washington. I really want this to happen.

Comment

• 2020 BYU Cougars Football Thread

Miami has little incentive to play BYU. They’re already in position to play in a NY6 Bowl, with little to no chance of getting into the playoff. Does beating BYU give them a shot at top 4? Hard to see how it does without a complete collapse by the SEC teams ahead of them, which would be unlikely. And if there is such a collapse, Miami is already in a position to move up with their game against UNC in a couple weeks.

Losing to BYU takes them out of their current spot though. They’re in a similar position to Cincy. No real reason to take any risks going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                              Miami has little incentive to play BYU. They’re already in position to play in a NY6 Bowl, with little to no chance of getting into the playoff. Does beating BYU give them a shot at top 4? Hard to see how it does without a complete collapse by the SEC teams ahead of them, which would be unlikely. And if there is such a collapse, Miami is already in a position to move up with their game against UNC in a couple weeks.

Losing to BYU takes them out of their current spot though. They’re in a similar position to Cincy. No real reason to take any risks going forward.
                              Disagree here. Cincy has a reason to play BYU. They have no shot at top 4 as is, but a nice win over BYU can only help. If they happen to lose to BYU, they are still in the driver's seat for the G5 NY6 game. They would not drop below Coastal Carolina (the next highest G5)

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                                Disagree here. Cincy has a reason to play BYU. They have no shot at top 4 as is, but a nice win over BYU can only help. If they happen to lose to BYU, they are still in the driver's seat for the G5 NY6 game. They would not drop below Coastal Carolina (the next highest G5)
                                They probably wouldn’t drop below Coastal Carolina, but there’s no guarantee. Why risk it? If the playoff committee does a little digging after a Cincy loss (especially if it is a significant loss), I think a very good argument can be made that Coastal Carolina would have the better resume. The have a win over a P5 team, gave Louisiana (who beat 13th ranked Iowa State) its only loss of the season, and play Liberty next week (who has one loss and beat two ACC teams). Cincy is in a sure spot right now. Their safest bet is to take as few risks as possible. There’s no way they’ll get into the playoff.

Comment

Working...
                                X