No announcement yet.

2020 BYU Cougars Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UW and UU are now official. That was such a load of garbage yesterday. BYU got raked for nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
      The most bullshit reason the committee gave was the Boise State game wasn't impressive BECAUSE they were on a 3rd string QB. So by that logic it doesn't matter if Boise continues to win and gets ranked, that game will always be meaningless. First off, its bullshit on its face. Second, it's a double standard not applied to any other team. Fuck them.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
      Did their third string QB play defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Two 2-loss Big 12 teams are ahead of us. Think about how awful the Big 12 is this year and let that sink in. Yeah the committee took a shit directly on BYU on purpose. Wish there was a game this week for them to go out and prove them wrong. Zach would probably put up 100.
        Asstecs are going to get broken in half by a pissed off Coug team
        "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
        "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
        This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
        "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
        "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
          UW and UU are now official. That was such a load of garbage yesterday. BYU got raked for nothing.
          It was deliberate we got played again like in conference expansion. We always do

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
            Cincy had a worse SOS before struggling to beat UCF this weekend. Now they’re only a few spots better than BYU in SOS. His excuse is nonsensical.
            The real reason for the disparate ranking between Cincinnati and BYU is that the top-ranked G5 gets a NY6 bowl no matter where they're ranked. So Cincinnati at 7 matches their poll position but is not so high as to expect them to ascend to the top 4. The committee gets patted on the back for looking out for the little guy without giving them a chance at the playoff.

Since BYU is dependent on an at-large bid, the committee is using the schedule excuse to push BYU far enough down the rankings that it's unlikely that they can get into a NY6 spot. That preserves 11 spots for P5 teams.

Now that I've got the conspiracy theory out of the way, I'll also say that maybe the committee actually believes that all the teams ranked ahead of BYU would win in a hypothetical game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              The real reason for the disparate ranking between Cincinnati and BYU is that the top-ranked G5 gets a NY6 bowl no matter where they're ranked. So Cincinnati at 7 matches their poll position but is not so high as to expect them to ascend to the top 4. The committee gets patted on the back for looking out for the little guy without giving them a chance at the playoff.

Since BYU is dependent on an at-large bid, the committee is using the schedule excuse to push BYU far enough down the rankings that it's unlikely that they can get into a NY6 spot. That preserves 11 spots for P5 teams.

Now that I've got the conspiracy theory out of the way, I'll also say that maybe the committee actually believes that all the teams ranked ahead of BYU would win in a hypothetical game.

Yep. I wouldn’t even call it a “theory” anymore. It’s completely predictable. Committee made clear that BYU is not getting in this year, no matter what they do. Might as well pack your bags for Boise to play Nevada a few days before Christmas (that is, if ESPN doesn’t cancel that game too). How exciting!

Comment

• No. 14 BYU -- Underrrated

College Football Playoff selection committee chair Gary Barta said after the rankings were revealed that BYU's strength of schedule played a part in the undefeated Cougars (9-0) being ranked so low. My question is this ... what do you expect BYU to do? Its schedule got absolutely decimated by the COVID-19 schedule shuffle, and it did all that it could to piece together something that is attractive based on the available options.

It went to Houston and Boise State and won big. How is BYU supposed to know that the Cougars would struggle and the Broncos would be on their third-string quarterback? It convinced Troy and Louisiana Tech -- two traditionally solid Group of Five teams -- to come to Provo, Utah. It left open the back end of the schedule to fill gaps of other teams that have games canceled due to the pandemic (even though one of those teams won't be Washington). Spare me the strength of schedule talk. BYU should be commended for piecing together something halfway decent.

The Cougars have been more than halfway decent on the field. Quarterback Zach Wilson is a Heisman Trophy contender with 26 touchdowns and only two interceptions, the offense is third in the nation in yards per play at 7.87, fourth in scoring at 47.6 points per game and its defense ranks 12th nationally at 4.73 yards per play.

What more does the committee want BYU to do?
                https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-25-of-season/
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I'm kinda digging the #YAnon explanation.

Comment

• Comment

• The overemphasis on Strength of Schedule is unjustified and completely inconsistent. It's just a cheap excuse the committee uses to justify penalizing non-P5 teams (when they want to).

Among the Top 25 in the CFP rankings, Notre Dame is #20, Clemson is #21, Cincinnati is #22, and BYU is #24 in SOS. If SOS mattered so much, why are Notre Dame and Clemson ranked in the Top 4 and Cincinnati ranked #7?

Barto (the committee chair) also pointed to the fact that Cincinnati had 4 wins against teams over .500 and BYU only has 3. But Cincy is the only team in the Top 25 with 4 wins against teams over .500. BYU has more wins against teams over .500 than Alabama (2), Clemson (2), Ohio State (1), aTm (1), Florida (1), Georgia (1), Oklahoma (2), Indiana (0), and Iowa State (1), each of which are ranked ahead of BYU.

Barto also claimed that Cincy deserved to be ranked 7 spots higher than BYU because of it's "quality wins" ... but if you go off of opponent's win percentage, which is what he claimed he was looking at, Boise State is a higher quality win than anyone Cincinnati has played (winning 80% of its games so far). The only other teams ahead of BYU to beat a team with an 80%+ win rate are Alabama, Notre Dame, Clemson, Ohio State, and Texas A&M. And each of them have only done it once as well. Indiana has no wins against teams with a .500 record or better. Nor do Oregon, Wisconsin, or USC, who are ranked just behind BYU. In fact, none of USC's opponents have a single win this season so far.

If you look at the average win percentage of teams that each team in the Top 25 has played, BYU would be ranked 13th ... but that would still put them ahead of Notre Dame (20th), Ohio State (23rd), Oklahoma (14th), Indiana (22nd), and Iowa State (21st). Cincy would be ranked 11th, ahead of Florida at 12th.

If you look at the average win percentage of teams that the Top 25 has beat, BYU would rank 9th ... ahead of 9 teams that are ranked ahead of them (including Notre Dame, Clemson, and Ohio State).

There is no question that BYU's SOS sucks right now (by no fault of their own), but it is in the Top 10 in every other metric (and Top 5 in several). There is simply no justification for dropping BYU to 14th based on SOS alone, especially when it didn't seem to effect the ranking of several teams ranked ahead of them.

The playoff committee will use this as an excuse (despite the fact that they claim to not rely on any single metric), and the morons in sports media (national and local) will repeat it without any scrutiny at all. But the facts just don't check out. It's clear that it is something other than BYU's performance on the field that dropped them out of NY6 contention ... and I suspect that it has everything to do with keeping the money and recruits in the P5. It's not a coincidence that all the non-P5 teams in the rankings dropped substantially more than everyone else (besides Oregon ... which is another story) from their AP rankings.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe I shouldn't get so worked up about this, but its pretty frustrating to see how unfair this is to the players, coaches, and fans who invest in the program. I honestly think BYU should sue the committee for antitrust violations if they are shut out. Get them under oath and make them explain how they justify this crap. Go after the money. History shows that litigation is the only thing that seems to change anything in this league for the better.
                      Last edited by UVACoug; 11-25-2020, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• I doubt they can schedule any team that provides much benefit, but I hope they can pull some great games together somehow for the last couple spots available. Would be great to get somebody this week.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• This doesn't help my Mormon Persecution Complex at all.

Comment

• There are two very obvious lines in the sand when it comes to the rankings: top 4, for playoff; and top 12, for NY6 (though, really, this line is more like 11, because there will be some team below 12 that gets an automatic qualifier). Tellingly, the committee put Cincinnati and BYU JUUUST safely past both of these lines-- one 3 spots below the one, and one 3 spots below the other.

The message could not be more clear. "We have to let UC in, and we will-- though absolutely not in the playoffs. BYU, we do not have to let in-- and we won't."
                            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• AA is right. This is what I have been saying since we went Indy. I got swept up in the excitement with the awesomeness of this team and forgot my original take. Conference affiliation provides access, independence does not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                                AA is right. This is what I have been saying since we went Indy. I got swept up in the excitement with the awesomeness of this team and forgot my original take. Conference affiliation provides access, independence does not.

How would being the MWC have helped anything?

Comment

Working...
                                X