Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning to REALLY like college football.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Learning to REALLY like college football.

    I've been watching these recruiting threads off and on today, and I marvel at how you folks can know so much about this stuff. I mean following recruiting means that you know something about high school football players all over the country. How does that work?

    More broadly, I'm trying to understand college football. At BYU I would buy season tickets and attend the home games. I might have missed doing that one year the whole time I was there. It was fun, but I never learned all of the players names or understood the significance of various formations... ugh, more daunting stuff to learn.

    Now, far from Provo, I might be able to catch one BYU game on national television each season. If I really wanted to follow the sport I would probably have to buy some kind of game package, right? Half of the time when I do manage to watch a game, even if I am watching with other fans, when a penalty happens it is damn near impossible to understand why when they review the tape. Off sides? I watch the replay and the penalty play looks near indistinguishable to me from the fair play. Pass interference? Same thing.

    The whole thing just looks impenetrable from where I stand. I like to watch the sport, but I don't come from a football watching tradition, so I have always been kind of on my own with this. My total understanding of the sport comes from one year of jr. high ball, one year of high school ball, going to the games at BYU, and playing NFL Blitz on my Sega Dreamcast many years ago. But since I spend enough time here, I figure I owe it to myself to become more knowledgeable. I skim these threads and it looks like a lot of fun. But where is the entrance? I feel like one of Faith's many high school students who have no clue how to go to college, or what it takes, and they don't have family that has ever been, so the whole prospect looks too daunting, so they just opt to miss out on all of that. Well that is me with college football. Dr's, what is the cure?

  • #2
    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    But since I spend enough time here, I figure I owe it to myself to become more knowledgeable. I skim these threads and it looks like a lot of fun. But where is the entrance? I feel like one of Faith's many high school students who have no clue how to go to college, or what it takes, and they don't have family that has ever been, so the whole prospect looks too daunting, so they just opt to miss out on all of that. Well that is me with college football. Dr's, what is the cure?
    I think you need a mentor. I recommend Seattle.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Babs View Post
      I think you need a mentor. I recommend Seattle.
      Or waters. He could ask Waters.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
        I've been watching these recruiting threads off and on today, and I marvel at how you folks can know so much about this stuff. I mean following recruiting means that you know something about high school football players all over the country. How does that work?

        More broadly, I'm trying to understand college football. At BYU I would buy season tickets and attend the home games. I might have missed doing that one year the whole time I was there. It was fun, but I never learned all of the players names or understood the significance of various formations... ugh, more daunting stuff to learn.

        Now, far from Provo, I might be able to catch one BYU game on national television each season. If I really wanted to follow the sport I would probably have to buy some kind of game package, right? Half of the time when I do manage to watch a game, even if I am watching with other fans, when a penalty happens it is damn near impossible to understand why when they review the tape. Off sides? I watch the replay and the penalty play looks near indistinguishable to me from the fair play. Pass interference? Same thing.

        The whole thing just looks impenetrable from where I stand. I like to watch the sport, but I don't come from a football watching tradition, so I have always been kind of on my own with this. My total understanding of the sport comes from one year of jr. high ball, one year of high school ball, going to the games at BYU, and playing NFL Blitz on my Sega Dreamcast many years ago. But since I spend enough time here, I figure I owe it to myself to become more knowledgeable. I skim these threads and it looks like a lot of fun. But where is the entrance? I feel like one of Faith's many high school students who have no clue how to go to college, or what it takes, and they don't have family that has ever been, so the whole prospect looks too daunting, so they just opt to miss out on all of that. Well that is me with college football. Dr's, what is the cure?
        This post is an abomination.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Without mailce, I must ask you to confimr that you actually played a year of high school football and yet you cannot recognizxe an offiseds penalty when you see one. Is that correct?
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Without mailce, I must ask you to confimr that you actually played a year of high school football and yet you cannot recognizxe an offiseds penalty when you see one. Is that correct?
            In fairness, BYU's Vegas Bowl starters weren't up to speed on the offsides rules, either. Or the false start rules. Or the illegal substitution rules.......etc....etc....etc......
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              College football is easy to love. The NFL not so much.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                Without mailce, I must ask you to confimr that you actually played a year of high school football and yet you cannot recognizxe an offiseds penalty when you see one. Is that correct?
                I was a defensive end and played on special teams during my freshman year. All B-team stuff, but I started. I loved DE. I got to go after the QB, and I could use my hands to grab and toss around the defenders to get them out of my way. I remember that I had to wait for the ball to be snapped, and then I would do everything I could to tackle the dude with the ball.

                They tried me on the offensive line, very briefly, but I kept missing my blocks (because I didn't understand the big picture of what the plays were supposed to accomplish). I sucked, but I seemed to be okay as a DE.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                  I was a defensive end and played on special teams during my freshman year. All B-team stuff, but I started. I loved DE. I got to go after the QB, and I could use my hands to grab and toss around the defenders to get them out of my way. I remember that I had to wait for the ball to be snapped, and then I would do everything I could to tackle the dude with the ball.

                  They tried me on the offensive line, very briefly, but I kept missing my blocks (because I didn't understand the big picture of what the plays were supposed to accomplish). I sucked, but I seemed to be okay as a DE.
                  I gather that is a yes?

                  I bet the other defenders were pretty pissed when one of the DEs started using his hands to toss them around.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                    I was a defensive end and played on special teams during my freshman year. All B-team stuff, but I started. I loved DE. I got to go after the QB, and I could use my hands to grab and toss around the defenders to get them out of my way. I remember that I had to wait for the ball to be snapped, and then I would do everything I could to tackle the dude with the ball.

                    They tried me on the offensive line, very briefly, but I kept missing my blocks (because I didn't understand the big picture of what the plays were supposed to accomplish). I sucked, but I seemed to be okay as a DE.
                    At this point, I'm calculating in my head (ala MC Hammer announcement) how much I'd be willing to pay to see one of RF's freshman games. Did anyone tape these games?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Finderson was a lineman? Whodathunk?
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        I gather that is a yes?

                        I bet the other defenders were pretty pissed when one of the DEs started using his hands to toss them around.
                        Umm... does that mean I embarrassed myself? This was all a very long time ago. I played on defense. My job was to tackle the QB, or whoever had the ball. I protected the side of the line and made sure they didn't run the ball around me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                          Umm... does that mean I embarrassed myself? This was all a very long time ago. I played on defense. My job was to tackle the QB, or whoever had the ball. I protected the side of the line and made sure they didn't run the ball around me.
                          These sounds vaguely like the quality of ski instruction Lane Meyer received in Better Off Dead.

                          Go that way.....real fast. If something gets in your way....turn.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            These sounds vaguely like the quality of ski instruction Lane Meyer received in Better Off Dead.

                            Go that way.....real fast. If something gets in your way....turn.
                            Yep, that is about right. I warmed pine for B-ball too. And wrestled a bit. Then a friend of mine, a natural athlete, joined the debate team. I followed, and intramural volley ball was the only other team sport I ever played again.
                            Last edited by RobinFinderson; 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                              Yep, that is about right. I warmed pine for B-ball too. And wrestled a bit. Then a friend of mine, a natural athlete, joined the debate team. I followed, and intramural volley ball was the only other team sport I ever played regularly.
                              Stop. You're just making me sad.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X