2023 BYU Football:The First Year of The Quorum of the BIG12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    BYU came close to beating Kansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. How much needs to be fixed to change coming close to being more consistent and winning those games? Eliminate a few turnovers and all of a sudden we've got a winning season with some pretty decent wins.
    I mean, TCU, WVU and ISU were utter abominations. Those can't happen

Comment

• I really only want Grimes as on OL coach. I thought most fans consensus was that Arod was an upgrade as an OC. If Sitake doesn't make an OL coach change, then that brings him down a notch in my view.

5 wins for our first year in the Big 12 is ok. Before the season, I said 8 would be great, 6 should be the goal, and 4 the bare minimum. We were competitive at times, but we also stunk to high heaven at times as well.
      "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

Even with the abominations, I'd be ecstatic if we walk away with wins in the other close games. Good teams get blown out occasionally. But three in a season is a problem, without question.

Comment

• I know at the end of the game, it's points that matter. However, I decided to look at our schedule and analyze the "yards differential" between us and our opponents. In general, I think if you have a positive yards differential then you played well and if the game were a best of seven, you'd be likely to win the series. I know that there's things like field position, red zone offense/defense, and TOs. But to me, this tells me that you were consistently moving the ball better than your opponent and didn't have to rely on "luck." So here's what I compiled.

Yards Dif.PNG

SHSU - We really struggled against a very bad team. The points say that and the yards differential say that. I watched SHSU a few other times throughout the season and they were really bad.

SUU - The Yards Dif say this was a much closer game than the score indicates. Yes, we struggled early on because they "knew" our signals and a lot of SUU's yards came in the 4th with our backups in, but we should have been in 200+ Yards Dif territory.

Arkansas - We won the game, but the Yards Dif tell me that we probably lose a best of 7 against them. We stole that game, but it was one of our wins where it felt like we were the weaker team.

Kansas - This was one of two games where we lost, but had more yards. I'd argue that it was our second best performance of the season.

Cincinnati - How do you win and gain 200 yards less than your opponent? Cincinnati did struggle all season long with red zone offense, but chalk this up as another win that felt like a loss.

TCU - Our worst performance of the season and against a back-up QB making his first start...and against a team that did not end up being bowl eligible...

Texas Tech - I guess if we win while being significantly outgained enough times, it just becomes a trait of our team, right? That doesn't make me feel any better.

Texas - I really don't see a universe where we win this game, but the Yards Dif does say that it was a closer game than the score indicates.

West Virginia - The score and Yards Dif are both in agreement on this one.

Iowa St - Hey, we put up 300 yards of offense, which we hadn't done in 6 weeks! I guess the Yards Dif could have been worse...

Oklahoma - We could have and should have won this game. Best performance of the season.

Oklahoma St - How did this game even go to OT? We showed zero desire to move the ball for the entire second half until we needed a FG late in the 4th. OKSU was clearly the better team, IMO.

Summary - Yes, we outscored our opponents and won 5 games. But it feels like we won 4 games. If we go by Yards Dif, our wins would be SHSU, SUU, Kansans, and Oklahoma. That would give us two really good wins. But also bad losses to Arkansas and Cincinnati.

Anyway, this was just a fun exercise for me. Don't take it too seriously.
          "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

Comment

• I would not be surprised if they split coordinator duties: A-Rod is the QB coach and passing coordinator, and Grimes is the O-line coach and running coordinator. That's partly face-saving for Grimes, partly a demotion for A-Rod (who surely shoulders SOME blame for an abominable offense this year), and above all else, a return to the kind of arrangement we had in 2020, when things were really rocking.

If I were a betting man, though, I'd put my money on Grimes trying something new.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by byufan4ever View Post

Summary - Yes, we outscored our opponents and won 5 games. But it feels like we won 4 games. If we go by Yards Dif, our wins would be SHSU, SUU, Kansans, and Oklahoma. That would give us two really good wins. But also bad losses to Arkansas and Cincinnati.

Anyway, this was just a fun exercise for me. Don't take it too seriously.
              Good post. I don't recall a BYU season in which we self-immolated so often in the first quarter. It seemed like beginning with Arkansas we just shot ourselves in the foot to start the game. Punt return for Arkansas TD, scoop and score by Kansas, TCU pick six, Iowa State interception on opening play and subsequent fumble on kickoff return. Just a sloppy season.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

Good post. I don't recall a BYU season in which we self-immolated so often in the first quarter. It seemed like beginning with Arkansas we just shot ourselves in the foot to start the game. Punt return for Arkansas TD, scoop and score by Kansas, TCU pick six, Iowa State interception on opening play and subsequent fumble on kickoff return. Just a sloppy season.
                Yeah, and a lot of that seems fixable.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Yeah, and a lot of that seems fixable.
                  When Kalani and ARod get their own recruits, yes. Give them time.

Comment

• Good post. And I'm reminded of just how disappointed and concerned I was in the offense at the beginning of the season. And yet there were times we seemed to be able to move the ball at will. We just couldn't put it all together for a complete game. I think O line and an inability to adjust to the defense.

Coaches have a lot of room, but they need to improve next year.

Comment

• Funk and Clark out. Kind of surprised by Clark. I always liked the idea of being taller that at least one person on the coaching staff.

Comment

• That is fine by me. TEs did very little this year and last

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

This is where our recruiting shows up. We consistently see a mid-season swoon when injuries start to pile up. More depth is needed. Walk-ons should rarely be seen on the field.

Comment

• Prior to the season, I think 6 wins was established as the goal / target for a successful season. We ended up with five, so I think you have to look at the overall season as disappointing.

What's interesting is when you look at the games, I feel like you can group them into one of four categories:

Quality Wins
                            Ugly Wins
                            Respectable Losses
                            Ugly Losses

If I'm looking at our season this year, here's how I'd assign them:

Quality Wins – 1 – Arkansas
                            We started the game out so poorly, but rebounded and things were clicking. Going on the road and beating an SEC team is almost always going to be a quality win. Especially one that handled us the prior season.

Ugly Wins – 4 – Sam Houston, Southern Utah, Cincinnati, Texas Tech
                            You could make the case that Texas Tech was a quality win given how they finished, but given that they played a backup QB, and had a lot of turnovers early, and BYU essentially did nothing in the second half makes me count this as an ugly win. Southern Utah we won by 25, so *maybe* you could move that up to a quality win. Sam Houston was not a good team and to only put up 14 points is the definition of ugly. And Cincinnati... I honestly don't remember much about this game other than thinking "I'm glad we won" which usually isn't a positive thing.

Respectable Losses – 3 – Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas
                            We lost in double OT to a team that's playing in the CCG. We had a ranked team down at home and without an absolutely boneheaded throw, we very likely win that game. Similarly, absent two killer turnovers, we probably go on the road and beat Kansas, who was undefeated at the time. Honestly, we probably *should* have all three of those games, but even winning one is the tipping point between a successful season and a disappointing one.

Ugly Losses – 4 – Texas, TCU, Iowa State, West Virginia
                            Texas was the closest game to being a 'respectable loss' - given that it was 21-6 going into the 4th quarter against a team that has an outside shot at the Playoff. However, Texas was staring a backup QB, we never really felt like we were "in" the game and there were WAY too many miscues, so it gets counted as an ugly loss (since we lost by 29 points). From there... I'm not sure I can really say anything good about the other three games. We lost by 33 to a team that finished 5-7, gave up almost 600 yards of offense to a backup QB making his first start and across the board just looked overmatched by an average TCU team. We lost by 30 to an average West Virginia team again giving up almost 600 yards of offense. Retzlaff was making his first start, sure, but we absolutely could not move the ball. And West Virginia is not that good – it's middle-of-the-pack Big 12 team that we'll play four of every year. We can't afford to lose games to those type of teams by 30 and expect to compete. Iowa State. Ugh. This was among the most disappointed I've been attending a home game in Provo, given how anemic we looked. Offensively we couldn't move the ball, especially with an INT very early in the game in our territory. Defensively we couldn't get stops – at least not enough to swing the momentum. We were down 31-7 at halftime and I think Iowa State probably could've put up 60 on us if they wanted to (but thankfully didn't). This is on the list of most embarrassing games I've been to in Provo.

The overall lack of quality wins and number of ugly losses leave the mostly sour taste to end the season. The fact that we competed against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State really makes me more frustrated that we had some many "WTF" games in the middle of the season. Given that some moves have already been made would seem to indicate that the staff feels similarly – 5-7 isn't good enough. I'd expect us to have a new starting QB next year, since I do not think it'll be Retzlaff. His mobility definitely helped unlock the running game and made a few of the games closer, but his decision making and inaccuracy leads me to think BYU will likely be moving on there. Slovis unfortunately didn't meet my expectations. And the OL as a group was disappointing and underwhelming to the point that it definitely hurt the team overall. I'd love to have Eddie Heckard another season – hopefully we can find another corner to slot in there that matches what he brought.

Hopefully we can rebound quickly next year. It'll be interesting to see the moves that get made. Tip two of those respectable losses into quality wins, and this is a team that's 7-5 and feels on the upswing. Crazy how two or three plays can slant perceptions of a season like that.

Comment

• Yep.

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post

This is where our recruiting shows up. We consistently see a mid-season swoon when injuries start to pile up. More depth is needed. Walk-ons should rarely be seen on the field.
                                Ok, but then we ended the year against 2 of the best teams on our schedule and had moral victories. So if depth, why the change at the end of the year? We still had depth issues against OU and OSU

Comment

Working...
                                X