The PAC 12 is awful and so is every team in it: BYU @ WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

When was the last time a BYU team had multiple DB's that could play man defense and come up with interceptions? If Tuiaki has had a hand in that, then I'll take it. We held a PAC-12 team to 19 points. I can live with that. Defense is not the problem. If Baylor Romney had played, we would have won by two touchdowns.
    not the relevant question, but (a) byu has had db talent, and (b) its scheme doesn’t lend itself to anyone proving they’re talented
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

Nah others have said it but Baylor looked significantly better than he may be in his two starts due to the absolutely horrendous coverage he was facing. I was in the stadium for the USF game and couldn't believe how wide open our receivers were most of the game. Baylor is a good QB and we are fortunate to have him as our #2, but Hall has a much higher ceiling. I don't think either of the losses can be laid at his feet, particularly not the Boise one.
      Our WR's were wide open, but most of his throws were on the money as well. I'm not sure what the takeaway from that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

Disagree 2x.
        he’s never had a defense that could change the momentum of a game. the scheme limits the number of possessions and time of possession and consistently gives the offense 80+ yard fields. it also gases a thin defense. ranked 70-115 in passing yards allowed, rushing yards allowed, red zone defense, 3rd down conversion pct, etc. pili was a big loss (maybe don’t win the utah game without him), but the defense has been bad since.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

The Baylor loss doesn't faze me at all. The Boise loss will sting for a while. It sucked to watch us move the ball relatively easy for stretches only to stall in the red zone or turn the ball over. We lost 3 of our 4 fumbles on the season and had 4 of our 7 turnovers on the season in that one game. I mean credit to Boise for making plays but very few things needed to go differently for us to have won comfortably.

I still love this team and am having a blast watching this season. Even my most optimistic, blue-tinted goggles probably didn't predict 6-2 through 8 games. But with a good start comes elevated expectations and one of those very reasonable expectations was beating a not great Boise team (#91 in total offense / #87 in total defense) at home.
          That Boise game did not go how I was expecting. I thought BYU had the advantage in the trenches and would run the ball with relative ease (as most have done against BSU this season) and bottle up their running game (as most have done against BSU this season). While BSU did not have a lot of rushing yards, their running game was more effective than I expected. BYU's running game, on the other hand, was much less effective than I expected (even when they weren't coughing up the ball).

Losing to BSU always sucks because most of my family are BSU fans.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Thoughts and prayers.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

it must be nice to have such a close network of tradesmen to come unclog your toilet, deliver your amazon packages, cut your hair, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Thoughts and prayers.
                Thank you. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                it must be nice to have such a close network of tradesmen to come unclog your toilet, deliver your amazon packages, cut your hair, etc.
                It is nice, to be honest.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post

he’s never had a defense that could change the momentum of a game. the scheme limits the number of possessions and time of possession and consistently gives the offense 80+ yard fields. it also gases a thin defense. ranked 70-115 in passing yards allowed, rushing yards allowed, red zone defense, 3rd down conversion pct, etc. pili was a big loss (maybe don’t win the utah game without him), but the defense has been bad since.
                  I don't agree that he's never had a defense that could change the momentum of the game (see, e.g., Houston last year, when the defense allowed all of six points in the second half). But even without contesting that premise, a lot of the reason we scheme the way we do is to provide cover in places where the defense is genuinely thin. We saw earlier this year what BYU does when it has the right guys in place. The real question is why we do not seem to have better guys to put in place.

I mean, really, our leading rusher and leading tackler in this game were both walk-ons. That says something nice about the walk-on development, I guess, but what does it say about the guys we asked to come play for us?
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I don't agree that he's never had a defense that could change the momentum of the game (see, e.g., Houston last year, when the defense allowed all of six points in the second half). But even without contesting that premise, a lot of the reason we scheme the way we do is to provide cover in places where the defense is genuinely thin. We saw earlier this year what BYU does when it has the right guys in place. The real question is why we do not seem to have better guys to put in place.
                    if his signature contribution was giving up six points in the second half (after giving up 20 in the first) to a team that finished 3-5 and ranked 55th in total offense in the weirdest season in college football history, guess we just have different standards.

at what position group do you think we're thin? i dont think there's a position group on the field that benefits from the scheme (which is why the refusal to adjust is so frustrating). if we want to effectively spot the other team the ball at our 35 every drive, we might as well do that from the get go to keep people fresh and get the offense more possessions.

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                    I mean, really, our leading rusher and leading tackler in this game were both walk-ons. That says something nice about the walk-on development, I guess, but what does it say about the guys we asked to come play for us?
                    it says that the defensive coordinator recruiting guys on the defensive side of the ball isn't doing a good enough job?

Comment

if his signature contribution was giving up six points in the second half (after giving up 20 in the first) to a team that finished 3-5 and ranked 55th in total offense in the weirdest season in college football history, guess we just have different standards.

at what position group do you think we're thin? i dont think there's a position group on the field that benefits from the scheme (which is why the refusal to adjust is so frustrating). if we want to effectively spot the other team the ball at our 35 every drive, we might as well do that from the get go to keep people fresh and get the offense more possessions.

it says that the defensive coordinator recruiting guys on the defensive side of the ball isn't doing a good enough job?
                      No, I think his signature contribution would be more like giving up less than twenty to either Utah or ASU this year. But that wasn’t where you put the goalpost.

As for which position group is thin, that would be linebacker. They were really struggling this last game. And the adjustments made last week to the scheme were pointedly an effort to shift weight from the linebackers to the secondary.

The last point, about recruiting, is a real point (but you never hear about it with everyone whining about the scheme). And hopefully it is where being in the big 12 will pay off dividends. It may be already.

Comment

Stupid coaches. They should only call plays that work all the time.
                        What about the option play to the short side of the field? Come on, that one has NEVER worked!
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

No, I think his signature contribution would be more like giving up less than twenty to either Utah or ASU this year. But that wasn’t where you put the goalpost.

As for which position group is thin, that would be linebacker. They were really struggling this last game. And the adjustments made last week to the scheme were pointedly an effort to shift weight from the linebackers to the secondary.

The last point, about recruiting, is a real point (but you never hear about it with everyone whining about the scheme). And hopefully it is where being in the big 12 will pay off dividends. It may be already.
                          if you are thin at linebacker, it makes no sense to maximize the coverage responsibility of the linebackers.

Comment

if you are thin at linebacker, it makes no sense to maximize the coverage responsibility of the linebackers.
                            Agreed. That’s likely why they ran nickel for most of Saturday.

Comment

Jaren Hall is #11 in the country in QBR. Yeah, they should bench his ass.
                              I'm not calling for Hall to be benched, but he didn't kill it against WSU. Aside from Hall's running ability, Baylor does just about everything else better than Hall. He's more accurate, makes better decisions, is better at getting the ball out on time, throws a better long ball and is better on 3rd and long. That said, Hall's ability to run still probably gives him the overall edge Baylor as starter. In the game against WSU, though, I think Romney would have gotten us more than 21 points.
                              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

I'm not calling for Hall to be benched, but he didn't kill it against WSU. Aside from Hall's running ability, Baylor does just about everything else better than Hall. He's more accurate, makes better decisions, is better at getting the ball out on time, throws a better long ball and is better on 3rd and long. That said, Hall's ability to run still probably gives him the overall edge Baylor as starter. In the game against WSU, though, I think Romney would have gotten us more than 21 points.
                                Good hell, he completed 75% of his passes with zero turnovers.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X