The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Didn't TCU also get a huge stadium upgrade from a few donors a few years ago. It seems to often be empty during games, just like SDSU, UNLV, and Houston?
    Houston is a public university and the pac12 doesnt like dealing with with religous schools
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Didn't TCU also get a huge stadium upgrade from a few donors a few years ago. It seems to often be empty during games, just like SDSU, UNLV, and Houston?
      Yeah, they did a couple of expansions on their stadium. The $113mm east side expansion was just finished up last year. The good news is they didn't put it on the credit card but got the alumni to pay for it upfront. It will be a nice place for the MWC or AAC teams to play in when they come into town.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

Besides staying put at 12 (their best option) if they are forced to add 4 teams the PAC-12 should just add, Hawaii, SDSU, UNLV & Houston for FOOTBALL ONLY. SDSU, UNLV and Houston are playing in state of art stadiums and in places good for the PAC-12 footprint. Hawaii gets you at least 6 more games for the conference (any team that plays at Hawaii gets an extra game.)
        Yeah, Hawaii might be an interesting option... and sometimes I can't sleep at night so it would be nice to turn on the tv at 1am for a PAC game.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Besides staying put at 12 (their best option) if they are forced to add 4 teams the PAC-12 should just add, Hawaii, SDSU, UNLV & Houston for FOOTBALL ONLY. SDSU, UNLV and Houston are playing in state of art stadiums and in places good for the PAC-12 footprint. Hawaii gets you at least 6 more games for the conference (any team that plays at Hawaii gets an extra game.)

Houston is a terrible fit geographically and adding the other three teams would signify that the P12 is truly on a trajectory to becoming the Mtn West.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Houston is a public university and the pac12 doesnt like dealing with with religous schools
            UH is essentially a commuter school. Yes, they have a new stadium but attendance averages about 30K - capacity is about 40K. When it comes to Texas football, UH is not much of a factor. The Houston metro area is Texas A&M country. Doubt PAC-12 has UH on its radar.

PAC-12 does not have any good candidates for expansion. Colorado and Utah were questionable at the time they were added and have not done much to change that perception. BYU is by far the best candidate for the PAC-12 from a sports and academic perspective. But, as has been pointed out all too often, there are other factors.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

This is a terrible attempt at trolling. Way too on the nose.

Comment

• BTW, I agree with all the comments above about Iowa State. They deserve all the bad karma they are getting.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Houston is a terrible fit geographically and adding the other three teams would signify that the P12 is truly on a trajectory to becoming the Mtn West.
                  Remember you are only adding them for FOOTBALL. Most of your teams recruit in Texas. If you had schedule that did this:

North Div
                  Wash
                  Wazzu
                  Ore
                  Ore st

Cal Div
                  Stan
                  Cal
                  UCLA
                  USC

Mtn Div
                  Utah
                  Colorado
                  Ariz
                  ASU

New Comers Div
                  Houston
                  SDSU
                  UNLV
                  Hawaii

Play everyone in your division (3 games) and two from every other divsion (6 games) the pac-12 teams only play at Houston once every 4 years.

The pac-12 gets
                  1) Nice places to go for Road games Once every Four years
                  2) 38 more football games they have inventory for their tv contract
                  3) they dont have to pay them like they are full members

Also you only do this if you are forced to go to 16 otherwise you stay at 12
                  "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Remember you are only adding them for FOOTBALL. Most of your teams recruit in Texas. If you had schedule that did this:

North Div
                    Wash
                    Wazzu
                    Ore
                    Ore st

Cal Div
                    Stan
                    Cal
                    UCLA
                    USC

Mtn Div
                    Utah
                    Colorado
                    Ariz
                    ASU

New Comers Div
                    Houston
                    SDSU
                    UNLV
                    Hawaii

Play everyone in your division (3 games) and two from every other divsion (6 games) the pac-12 teams only play at Houston once every 4 years.

The pac-12 gets
                    1) Nice places to go for Road games Once every Four years
                    2) 38 more football games they have inventory for their tv contract
                    3) they dont have to pay them like they are full members

Also you only do this if you are forced to go to 16 otherwise you stay at 12
                    Adding football-only teams from the Mtn West seems even crazier than adding them as full members. No way in hell does adding those teams increase P12 leverage in negotiating TV contracts.

A lesson to learn from the OU/Texas to SEC move is that each of the P5 conferences has a handful of blue bloods that provide the real value and everyone else is just pretending they are relevant. Most of the P5 schools are no different than the G5 schools. P12 should be doing everything they can to keep Oregon/USC/Stanford on board. Not adding crappy schools.

Comment

• The funny thing about all this conference expansion talk is that Ute fans go to great lengths to tip toe around the fact that by every measurable factor related to college athletics, BYU belongs in the PAC-12 and is the best viable candidate for the Pac-12. Bending over backwards to justify hypotheticals with other programs that aren't blue bloods doesn't change that fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Adding football-only teams from the Mtn West seems even crazier than adding them as full members. No way in hell does adding those teams increase P12 leverage in negotiating TV contracts.

A lesson to learn from the OU/Texas to SEC move is that each of the P5 conferences has a handful of blue bloods that provide the real value and everyone else is just pretending they are relevant. Most of the P5 schools are no different than the G5 schools. P12 should be doing everything they can to keep Oregon/USC/Stanford on board. Not adding crappy schools.
                        MRD is trolling ...

The BIG is going to poach USC and UCLA to get to 16. Or, they will poach Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA and Stanford then add Kansas for the portion of the Kansas City market they bring to go to 20. In their dream scenario, in place of Kansas they add Notre Dame.

This allows the marque PAC teams to rid themselves of the sanctimony and mediocrity of CAL, the party schools in the Deseret, the irrelevant mountain teams and their minuscule fan bases, and the podunk schools in the north west.

Comment

• I don't understand why the SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas means that the B1G or the Pac 12 need to do something. They already have much bigger markets than the SEC. They are already teeming with interesting teams. We always knew the Big 12 was broken. The B1G and Pac 12 have cultural cohesion. Seems to me they need to stick to their knitting and work on improving their existing teams and TV deals. How am I wrong? (I wouldn't mind Kansas's basketball team in the Pac 12.) I think this may just be a cluster of idiot sportswriters.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            I don't understand why the SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas means that the B1G or the Pac 12 need to do something. They already have much bigger markets than the SEC. They are already teeming with interesting teams. We always knew the Big 12 was broken. The B1G and Pac 12 have cultural cohesion. Seems to me they need to stick to their knitting and work on improving their existing teams and TV deals. How am I wrong? (I wouldn't mind Kansas's basketball team in the Pac 12.) I think this may just be a cluster of idiot sportswriters.
                            You are 100% correct.. The most likely fallout will be some sort of scheduling deal between B1G and the PAC12. The B1G already makes crazy money. They could go after USC/UCLA/Oregon & Washington but that's unlikely

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              I don't understand why the SEC adding Oklahoma and Texas means that the B1G or the Pac 12 need to do something. They already have much bigger markets than the SEC. They are already teeming with interesting teams. We always knew the Big 12 was broken. The B1G and Pac 12 have cultural cohesion. Seems to me they need to stick to their knitting and work on improving their existing teams and TV deals. How am I wrong? (I wouldn't mind Kansas's basketball team in the Pac 12.) I think this may just be a cluster of idiot sportswriters.
                              Precedence: In a fit of desperation the PAC added Utah and Colorado which ended up diluting and weakening the conference.

Comment

You are 100% correct.. The most likely fallout will be some sort of scheduling deal between B1G and the PAC12. The B1G already makes crazy money. They could go after USC/UCLA/Oregon & Washington but that's unlikely
                                I keep thinking a scenario like this might be one of the more likely outcomes.

Comment

Working...
                                X