No announcement yet.

The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, at this point the Pac 12-2 is looking for the scraps that fall off the table...

Big 12 'totally out maneuvered Pac-12' by getting early media rights deal done
    'There was one big deal to be had and the Big 12 got in there and got it.'

Back in October, the Big 12 signed a media rights deal with ESPN and FOX worth a total of $2.28 billion. The deal was spearheaded by Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark - and four months later it looks like a stroke of genius.

Talking on their weekly The Marchand and Ourand Sports Media Podcast, reporters Andrew Marchand and John Ourand discussed the Big 12's deal and why it's led to the Pac-12 struggling to get a media deal done.

"There was one big deal to be had and the Big 12 got in there and got it," Ourand said. "Things are not looking great right now for the Pac-12 from a linear TV perspective."

Marchand and Ourand went on to discuss the Pac-12's potential media partners. The situation looks bleak.

FOX most likely won't partner with the Pac-12 unless it's for "pennies on the dollar" according to Ourand.

If Amazon is a partner, it won't be for a massive sum of money like the company paid to broadcast NFL Thursday Night Football, according to Marchand.

"My understanding with Amazon is that they don't want tonnage, so could they go for the Pac-12? I think they could," he said. "But I think that there's a better chance that maybe they save up for the NBA or NASCAR and I don't think that they're going to go crazy ... I'm 99.9 percent sure if the Pac-12 ends up on Amazon, it's going to just be a comparable price that you'd get from a network, nothing crazy where they outbid everyone by a lot."

In an earnings call last week, Disney CEO Bob Iger said that ESPN will have to become "more selective" on media rights, which means the company most likely won't partner with the Pac-12 unless it's for cheap.

Another possibility is a partnership with Apple, but that won't be perfect either, according to Marchand.

"Apple is a wild card, but the problem with Apple is you're still on a streamer and it's just not as well known," he said. "I don't know if that works."

Marchand also said that he doesn't think Turner is involved in negotiations with the conference and that NBC and CBS won't "break the bank" to get a deal done.
    [...]
    https://www.si.com/college/usc/footb...ight-deal-done

Of course, adding SDSU and SMU may change all of this for the Pac 12-2.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I want to try that Tech's Masked Rider Burger and Cyclones Tenderloin. The Baylor Float is also interesting, but I can do that on my own.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• This seems cool.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Cool.

Also, this was an interesting listen. Dude says the lowest the PAC can go is $25 million per school per year before it for sure will lose members.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
            Cool.

Also, this was an interesting listen. Dude says the lowest the PAC can go is $25 million per school per year before it for sure will lose members.
            Thanks for posting.... LOL, I wonder if the PAC 12 regrets not inviting BYU yet.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Thanks for posting.... LOL, I wonder if the PAC 12 regrets not inviting BYU yet.
              I am confident they do not. The PAC values some things more than money. Or life.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Big 12 to partner with Rucker Park, hopes to host exhibition games on court.

Yormark continues to impress.

Comment

• The Pac 12-2 should add Fresno before the Big 12 adds them...

Conference realignment: Fresno State University president reportedly confirms Big 12 interest in Bulldogs

The Big 12 Conference has shown interest in Fresno State University as a potential expansion candidate, university president Saul Jimenez-Sandoval reportedly confirmed via The San Joaquin Valley Sun. Jimenez-Sandoval, during a Thursday confab concerning a sales tax initiative — "Measure E" — that would benefit academic and athletics projects at Fresno State, said there is interest on the Big 12's end regarding the Bulldogs as the league looks to establish a presence on the West Coast, per The Sun.
                  [...]
                  https://247sports.com/Article/Confer...ogs-207287554/

Of course, everyone and their dog has been rumored to be in "talks" with the Big 12 lately.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

I am confident they do not. The PAC values some things more than money. Or life.
                    The Pac 12 has not been interested in BYU regardless of the fact that BYU would certainly add value to the league. This is old news now, but was stunning when CatBlue said it first on Cougarboard. This concept was stunning and pioneering among BYU fans at the time but nevertheless had always been true.

Whatever TV deal the Pac 12 gets, it will be the product of choices it made based on its values. The Pac 12 values academics and its academic reputation most of all, and Olympic sports including women's sports as much as football.

This thread is kind of like drug dealers tee heeing that someong in a legal business earns less. Whatever. We don't share your values.

Do you think Georgetown or Dartmouth care that the Big 12 teams get more sports money than they do?

When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• "stunning and pioneering". Lol.

SU loves himself some SU.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

The Pac 12 has not been interested in BYU regardless of the fact that BYU would certainly add value to the league. This is old news now, but was stunning when CatBlue said it first on Cougarboard. This concept was stunning and pioneering among BYU fans at the time but nevertheless had always been true.

Whatever TV deal the Pac 12 gets, it will be the product of choices it made based on its values. The Pac 12 values academics and its academic reputation most of all, and Olympic sports including women's sports as much as football.

This thread is kind of like drug dealers tee heeing that someong in a legal business earns less. Whatever. We don't share your values.

Do you think Georgetown or Dartmouth care that the Big 12 teams get more sports money than they do?
                        The Big 12 doesn't want Utah for the same reasons... BY keeps saying he wants to add like-minded schools and clearly Utah's mind is in a whole different universe. It's questionable if Utah would add value to the Big 12 anyway. We want Oregon, UW, Arizona, Gonzaga, and maybe Colorado. Utah would fit better maybe in the ACC.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

This is *chef's kiss*. Masterful controlling of expectations to be able to claim a contract that will spell the demise of the conference is a victory.

One question though: how will the desperate addition of SDSU fit in with these conference values?

Comment

• LOL@TCU... And they just spent a truckload of money doing a remodel.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              LOL@TCU... And they just spent a truckload of money doing a remodel.

I guess UCF's stadium isn't good enough to make the list.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I guess UCF's stadium isn't good enough to make the list.
                                I can confirm this.

Comment

Working...
                                X