Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Yeah, like last year.

Depending on the arrangement BYU could maybe make 3x or 4x more than they are making now.

Here is some interesting info...

The Big 12 has clearly taken a fight-to-the-death stance as the two most powerful members of its league are mere steps from joining the nation's most powerful conference.

In fact, the Big 12's bylaws are written in such a way that -- if there is even one member remaining -- a program can individually sue any of the entities in this discussion -- the SEC, the AAC or even ESPN.

Leaning on the "disinterested directors" clause in its bylaws, the Big 12 intends to make the migration of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC as difficult as possible.

After losing four teams in the last round of conference realignment a decade ago, those bylaws were drafted in 2012 to stand for a period of 99 years. Texas and Oklahoma were part of the group who, according to one source, wanted the longest agreement possible.

That last round of realignment led to the Big 12 registering itself as a corporation in the state of Delaware. That helps prevent the case from being heard in Texas where the University of Texas might have a legal advantage.

"Oklahoma and Texas are going to do everything they can to get out of the grant of rights and get out of the bylaw stipulations. It's going to be a long process," Bowlsby told CBS Sports.

Bowlsby recently told the eight remaining Big 12 schools that his strategy is to fight for survival as long as they stay together.

As long the Big 12 remains viable, ESPN and Fox cannot reduce the conference's rights fees under the current contract.

Big 12 schools each make approximately $37 million annually. Industry sources told CBS Sports that the Big 12's worth declined 50% to 75% with the defections of the Longhorns and Sooners.

"The eight remaining schools are dealing with a lot," Bowlsby told CBS Sports. "They're coming off a COVID year. They're coming off a rough year on ticket sales. … If we stay together, I think we'll have some options [in realignment]."
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...om-conference/

Sounds like the Big 12 is not going away quietly in the night especially if conferences like the Pac and B1G have little or no interest in the Big 12 leftovers. The only team I really see jumping to another P5 conference is WVU to the ACC.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, like last year.

Depending on the arrangement BYU could maybe make 3x or 4x more than they are making now.
      I'll just ignore your "yeah, like last year" comment, which is classic Ted. The Russian propagandists could learn a thing or two from you.

While you are correct that BYU could potentially make 3-4x than they are currently making, it has been pointed out by multiple people on this board many times that it's not just about money for BYU. Flexibility and exposure are possibly equally as important to BYU as money.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

I'll just ignore your "yeah, like last year" comment, which is classic Ted. The Russian propagandists could learn a thing or two from you.

While you are correct that BYU could potentially make 3-4x than they are currently making, it has been pointed out by multiple people on this board many times that it's not just about money for BYU. Flexibility and exposure are possibly equally as important to BYU as money.
        I have a feeling that BYU is in the drivers seat this go around... Keeping BYUtv broadcast rights, no Sunday play, and gay people out of the temple may not be a problem for the conference now. The Big 12 really needs great schools with great programs like BYU. There's not many of them around to pick from. The Big 12 leftovers don't have a lot of options. The Pac 12 doesn't want them. I doubt the B1G wants any of them. If they don't do something then a lot of the leftovers may end up playing in the AAC with Temple and Tulane.

If Pac and B1G were smart they would maybe merge or come up with some kind of agreement to battle the DeathStar conference. Maybe they should just kick out their deadweight (Colorado, Utah, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.) and just merge the two conferences. They can be the X-Wing conference.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Kaboom.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Man, I am really jazzed about this. My son insists on traveling to Austin each fall for a football game & BBQ. These trips just got a massive upgrade. Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, A&M, etc. Yowza.

Only downside is that tickets and hotels will harder to secure.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I have a feeling that BYU is in the drivers seat this go around... Keeping BYUtv broadcast rights, no Sunday play, and gay people out of the temple may not be a problem for the conference now. The Big 12 really needs great schools with great programs like BYU. There's not many of them around to pick from. The Big 12 leftovers don't have a lot of options. The Pac 12 doesn't want them. I doubt the B1G wants any of them. If they don't do something then a lot of the leftovers may end up playing in the AAC with Temple and Tulane.

If Pac and B1G were smart they would maybe merge or come up with some kind of agreement to battle the DeathStar conference. Maybe they should just kick out their deadweight (Colorado, Utah, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.) and just merge the two conferences. They can be the X-Wing conference.
              The leftovers of the Big12 are indeed desperate. But there are no good options for them. The Big 12 will became a version of the MWC or MAC. Is it in BYU's interest to be part of the Big 12? Didn't they leave the MWC for independence? I guess BYU and ESPN will sort this out. Scheduling will be easier and perhaps somewhat improved in the Big 12 but the TV dollars may not be any better than what BYU gets currently from ESPN. I mentioned this earlier, in every Big 12 state except Kansas the dominant team(s) that draw viewership reside in another conference. Adding BYU's fanbase will improve the Big 12's greatly diminished viewership footprint but can the same be said for what BYU will receive in return?
              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• gary-patterson_1gbn19jq60knz13fkhbt5et0ez.jpg?t=-725228383&quality=100.jpgI feel the most sorry for TCU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                  The leftovers of the Big12 are indeed desperate. But there are no good options for them. The Big 12 will became a version of the MWC or MAC. Is it in BYU's interest to be part of the Big 12? Didn't they leave the MWC for independence? I guess BYU and ESPN will sort this out. Scheduling will be easier and perhaps somewhat improved in the Big 12 but the TV dollars may not be any better than what BYU gets currently from ESPN. I mentioned this earlier, in every Big 12 state except Kansas the dominant team(s) that draw viewership reside in another conference. Adding BYU's fanbase will improve the Big 12's greatly diminished viewership footprint but can the same be said for what BYU will receive in return?
                  Yeah, I'm skeptical that the Big 12 is good for BYU, even if they were to get an invite. I've really enjoyed independence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

Yeah, I'm skeptical that the Big 12 is good for BYU, even if they were to get an invite. I've really enjoyed independence.
                    Yeah, it's us against the world!! Screw 'em all!

Comment

• Originally posted by originalsocal View Post

Yeah, it's us against the world!! Screw 'em all!

Comment

• I gotta say, this whole thing just make me so happy. The last time we were dissed by the B12 I decided to just enjoy what I have. With that perspective, I am really enjoying the melt down. What this shows is what everyone should have known all along. There are maybe 10 to 15 school that matter to the TV people, outside of that everyone is the lapdog. As a BYU fan I've seen the arrogance over decades from the likes of OU, Texas, Name your SEC, USC, ND, etc. I expect it, and even love it. When we play those teams it's a treat, win or lose. The teams that tend to bug me are the 2/3 tiered teams that think they are the shiz by being associated with the aforementioned 10 to 15 super powers. I remember how pissed I was to hear the arrogance of KSU prior to the Cotton Bowl in '96. Those guys thought of us as trailer trash and got punched in the nose, sent home with tails firmly between legs. Fast forward to the last B12 expansion. I never felt that UT or OU really cared about us coming in or not, but the others? That's when you wanted to put your fist through the wall. I mean, Iowa State had a real problem with us....Iowa State. TCU...well...let's just leave it at that. Schools that stand on the shoulders of giants and call themselves tall get what they deserve. That is what is happening right now. Texas Tech. Baylor. Kansas??? It makes me laugh. They thought they were big, but reality is a bitch.

Now, what I wouldn't give to see the same thing happen to the PAC 12. The top guys, they'll survive, but who would come out of that realizing they were standing on the shoulders of giants all along?

Imagine. Tell me you don't have a smile on your face just thinking about it.

Comment

• Guys. We’re not going to the Big 12. I’m not sure we should want to anymore.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Yep
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Man, I am really jazzed about this. My son insists on traveling to Austin each fall for a football game & BBQ. These trips just got a massive upgrade. Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, A&M, etc. Yowza.

Only downside is that tickets and hotels will harder to secure.
                              Yeah, I am jazzed as well but agree tickets will be harder to get. If UT is playing at JerryWorld you and your son can stay with us. After the game we all can go fishing.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yeah, I am jazzed as well but agree tickets will be harder to get. If UT is playing at JerryWorld you and your son can stay with us. After the game we all can go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X