No announcement yet.

The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P12 Commish today stated that AAU status isn't required for membership in the P12. He also said that all conference decisions will be made with football in mind. So...if BYU doesn't end up getting an invite, it will be because of religious discrimination alone. Good to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
      P12 Commish today stated that AAU status isn't required for membership in the P12. He also said that all conference decisions will be made with football in mind. So...if BYU doesn't end up getting an invite, it will be because of religious discrimination alone. Good to know.
      The P12 doesn't recognize religion as a thing--it's just reduced to the medieval status of superstition, moral weakness. The P12 denies BYU's identity and humanity.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Mizzou is super lucky to have been invited to the SEC when it happened. If that were happening today, it would be OK-State, not Mizzou.

OK State will not be in the B1G. I love all these "exploring options" tweets. That and five bucks will get you a ham sandwich.
        Timing is important. Nebraska does not make it to the B1G today after losing its AAU accreditation and failing to reverse its football program's continued slide to mediocracy or worse. But when the B1G invite occurred, Nebraska was in the AAU and fresh off playing in conference championship games. Mizzou actually won the SEC East its first couple of years in the conference. There is also the marketing/viewership angle. Mizzou added KC and to a lesser extent St. Louis markets. Okie St. adds nothing that OU does not already deliver.

Not sure what is next for the Big12 but it will probably exist in name only after 2025. Maybe they expand and pick up some remnants of the old SWC like SMU and Houston and become something like a Mid American Conference II.

“Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

The P12 doesn't recognize religion as a thing--it's just reduced to the medieval status of superstition, moral weakness. The P12 denies BYU's identity and humanity.

Chef's kiss

Comment

• The SEC has a contract where they can just add any number of prestige teams and ESPN will simply increase the amount of money accordingly. What's going to stop them from adding USC, Ohio State, Clemson, and just create some 24 team super league?

ESPN would love to simply not have to also pay the Big 10, Pac 10 and ACC
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

Wrong. The problem is broader than this. Katy nailed it. "Recognize" is the right word. The LDS Church doesn't recognize LGBTQ as a thing--it's just reduced to the medieval status of sin, moral weakness. LDS deny LGBT identity and humanity.
              What’s your point? I don’t think you are trying to convince anyone by saying this. We all know BYU will remain in mediocrity because of the type of school it is and it’s affiliation with the church. Lebowski is probably the most vocal about football championships not being priority #1 for the school or the board of trustees.

By now it seems your only point is to fellate your ego by constantly repeating the same stuff (whether true or not) over and over. I guess at least now you have a toadie to stroke it every once in a while when you get tired.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                P12 Commish today stated that AAU status isn't required for membership in the P12. He also said that all conference decisions will be made with football in mind. So...if BYU doesn't end up getting an invite, it will be because of religious discrimination alone. Good to know.
                Of course it’s not. WSU and OSU are crappy academic schools and not AAU members. Neither is ASU apparently either. I will laugh if the PAC12 picks up TTech. It’s more ITT Tech than it is Cal Tech.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I'm kind of surprised how little stock BYU has in the media and online discussions of expansion have been this go round. They are mentioned a lot but almost universally dismissed. Is BYU not even good for click bait anymore?

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

What’s your point? I don’t think you are trying to convince anyone by saying this. We all know BYU will remain in mediocrity because of the type of school it is and it’s affiliation with the church. Lebowski is probably the most vocal about football championships not being priority #1 for the school or the board of trustees.

By now it seems your only point is to fellate your ego by constantly repeating the same stuff (whether true or not) over and over. I guess at least now you have a toadie to stroke it every once in a while when you get tired.
                    Yeah, and we only will ever produce mediocre QBs that get drafted 2nd overall and not 1st. “If you’re not 1st then you’re last.”
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                      I'm kind of surprised how little stock BYU has in the media and online discussions of expansion have been this go round. They are mentioned a lot but almost universally dismissed. Is BYU not even good for click bait anymore?
                      I'm curious about this as well. I don't watch the news, or visit many news sites. I see what comes across my twitter feed. Most people, including writers, casually mention BYU and that there are too many hoops to jump through when considering them.

What I find interesting is that there hasn't been a peep out of TH or anyone from BYU. I look at that as a good thing. That means that they are working on things. I don't care if BYU ends up in a P5 conference. I just want them to find success.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                        I'm kind of surprised how little stock BYU has in the media and online discussions of expansion have been this go round. They are mentioned a lot but almost universally dismissed. Is BYU not even good for click bait anymore?
                        That's interesting. It seems like I see BYU mentioned in most discussions, and usually favorably.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Tom holmoe currently on his way to the B12 headquarters

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...930Z/KPVU/KAFW

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                            Tom holmoe currently on his way to the B12 headquarters

We're back to tracking flights already?
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Shut up. I am assuming CB is your source? So nothing credible.

Comment

this is one of my favorite parts of conference expansion. Tracking flights and random AD sightings. You’d think by now this could all be done over zoom, but maybe the Big12 is old school.

Comment

Working...
                                X