No announcement yet.

The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pooh-pooh. Anyone speculating in anything regarding conference alignment now is secretly toting a serious lust to be in a relevant conference. Or experiencing shadenfreud at the thought of the P12 in FOMO panic mode. Nothing will change. BYU still doesnt recognize LGBTQs on campus. It sunk us in 2016 and it will sink us in 2021.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post

I agree with this post completely. The NFL can be painfully boring. CFB offers so much more in terms of diversity of culture and tradition based on regional peculiarities. Even though BYU lost, one of my fondest college football memories in the past few years is traveling with my boys to Toledo to watch BYU play. It is a truly unique stadium, in a unique place. I suppose I could have that same experience in SEC country, but if it means dealing with NFL type hoopla, I have no interest. I will spend my Saturdays doing other things.
      What's nfl type hoopla? What would be any different for you?
      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Pooh-pooh. Anyone speculating in anything regarding conference alignment now is secretly toting a serious lust to be in a relevant conference. Or experiencing shadenfreud at the thought of the P12 in FOMO panic mode. Nothing will change. BYU still doesnt recognize LGBTQs on campus. It sunk us in 2016 and it will sink us in 2021.
        And it's not like they're that hard to spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

With Texas and aTm gone, please name me a single team in Texas that would be a serious candidate for the P12.
          Sam Houston State!!!
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

https://www.byuvocalpoint.com
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
              Pooh-pooh. Anyone speculating in anything regarding conference alignment now is secretly toting a serious lust to be in a relevant conference. Or experiencing shadenfreud at the thought of the P12 in FOMO panic mode. Nothing will change. BYU still doesnt recognize LGBTQs on campus. It sunk us in 2016 and it will sink us in 2021.
              This is correct. No conference is going to invite BYU as long as the threat of other universities boycotting BYU exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

College football is the #2 spectator sports in America. NFL = #1.
                College football has a larger overall viewership due to the number of teams and leagues. Prior to COVID CFB viewership was also on the rise while NFL viewership was plateauing if not declining. So, why then create a super league that is more similar to the NFL—to rival the NFL? Perhaps, but in what ways?

We of course don't yet know what the results of CFB super leagues could be, but realistically, despite NFL ratings plateauing could this new super conference viewership truly rival NFL viewership in terms of overall marketing potential attached to it? Not likely. Why? Because, despite mine and others dislike of it, the NFL holds broader cross regional appeal. It is insanely popular in all of North America.

And isn't the number one rule of guarding against expanding too quickly "to not allow growth to diminish or harm the foundation of your business?" The foundation of CFB is regional peculiarity.
                Last edited by tooblue; 07-26-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

What's nfl type hoopla? What would be any different for you?
                  Firstly, the price of a ticket to attend a game. Second, marketing nonsense that commands a $1 milliion plus price tag for a 30 second ad spot driving up the cost of everything else. Frankly, I can afford to take my kids to a college game, whereas I can't afford to take just myself to an NFL game.
                  Last edited by tooblue; 07-26-2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post

Firstly, the price of a ticket to attend a game. Second, marketing nonsense that commands a $1 milliion plus price tag for a 30 second ad spot driving up the cost of everything else. Frankly, I can afford to take my kids to a college game, whereas I can't afford to take just myself to an NFL game.
                      Hate to break it to you but the big programs in the SEC already have NFL ticket prices. as far as the million dollar price for a commercial It doesnt really change anything for me.
                      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post

Hate to break it to you but the big programs in the SEC already have NFL ticket prices. as far as the million dollar price for a commercial It doesnt really change anything for me.
                        Reason #2 why I have never attended and SEC game. Reason #1 is because I don't have a connection to the region, and thus little interest in spending the time and money to get to a game. However, I have been to Michigan several times, and to Notre Dame stadium a few times. Very cheap game day experiences in contrast including the cost of travel.

And, in this super league, how long will student sections continue to be subsidized? It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Comment

• Bye, bye Big 12...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Yeah, that didn't happen...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                              Yeah, that didn't happen...
                              Kansas has one of the worst football programs in the P5. Never believed that for a second.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X