Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I think the NCAA playoffs expanding to more teams will change they dynamics of these big conferences. Yes, it will be really difficult to win the conference, but getting into the playoffs is what will really matter. And a power conference like the expanded SEC should be able to get several teams in.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

      The PAC may not want any Big 12 refugees...
      Will be really interesting to see what the P12 does. Given their geography and their elitism, I am not sure they have any good options to expand. They have been becoming increasingly irrelevant on the national stage. Adding Utah and Colorado hasn't seemed to do anything for them.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

        Will be really interesting to see what the P12 does. Given their geography and their elitism, I am not sure they have any good options to expand. They have been becoming increasingly irrelevant on the national stage. Adding Utah and Colorado hasn't seemed to do anything for them.
        They have one good option.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

        Comment


        • How does the SEC with all these egos not meet the same gate as the expanded WAC back in the day? There is no way they don't overextend themselves here.

          I understand the SEC is the best conference out there, but I really get no enjoyment watching SEC games. I'd be curious to see what the SEC viewership ratings are outside of the South. Maybe everyone watches the games and I'm just boring.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by USUC View Post
            How does the SEC with all these egos not meet the same gate as the expanded WAC back in the day? There is no way they don't overextend themselves here.

            I understand the SEC is the best conference out there, but I really get no enjoyment watching SEC games. I'd be curious to see what the SEC viewership ratings are outside of the South. Maybe everyone watches the games and I'm just boring.
            Did you seriously just compare the SEC to the WAC?
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

              Did you seriously just compare the SEC to the WAC?
              I did. The nature of organizations is the same. More money and prestige is involved of course. But you think that alone is enough to overcome the problems that come from the bloat? I'm genuinely curious.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by USUC View Post
                How does the SEC with all these egos not meet the same gate as the expanded WAC back in the day? There is no way they don't overextend themselves here.

                I understand the SEC is the best conference out there, but I really get no enjoyment watching SEC games. I'd be curious to see what the SEC viewership ratings are outside of the South. Maybe everyone watches the games and I'm just boring.
                Yeah, you’re boring. There’s some good football in the SEC… especially when aTm loses.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

                  Yeah, you’re boring. There’s some good football in the SEC… especially when aTm loses.
                  I am only speaking for myself obviously, but I have no connection to the south or to any of the teams. Half the fun of CFB for me are the traditions, the rivalries, the storylines, the cinderellas/underdogs, the regional differences, etc. Granted, not a lot of these individual games on the field are that compelling, but when there are a number of games being played at any given moment, there is always something entertaining to choose from. But a super conference made up of teams I have no connection to in a region I have no connection to just isn't that interesting to me. I'm not a big fan of the NFL for the same reason. The level of play on the field is much better, but I find it boring.

                  Comment


                  • What are the chances any other conference or conferences react?

                    1.) I think college football needs to eventually be free of conference affiliation forces when making decisions. That is not to say there shouldn't be conferences but college football needs to go its own way as far as conference structures etc. Trying to coattail hoops, volleyball or baseball off of football is getting increasingly irrational. The lesser revenue sports need football so I am not advocating doing away with college football for a minor league replacement, just allowing Alabama and USC to be in the same conference if that is what makes the most sense for football without the Women of Troy volleyball having to head to Tuscaloosa and/or Starkville annually.

                    2.) Saying that- will any other Power conference react to the SEC taking Texas and OU?
                    A.) Does the Pac value having member teams in Texas which theoretically gives them recruiting access and a foothold in the Lone Star State enough to share their revenues with 4 more member teams? Will the foothold be anything more than a mirage with Texas and aTm already in the catbird seat and having SEC money and affiliation?
                    B.) I am assuming the ACC won't move until Notre Dame decides to fully join for football. It will then look to add somebody to get to 16- I think the ACC is at 14 right now for football.
                    C.) I don't understand why the B1G would add anyone. Perhaps Kansas for its hoops program, but then they would need to add another and I am not sure it all works out.


                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

                    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by USUC View Post

                      I am only speaking for myself obviously, but I have no connection to the south or to any of the teams. Half the fun of CFB for me are the traditions, the rivalries, the storylines, the cinderellas/underdogs, the regional differences, etc. Granted, not a lot of these individual games on the field are that compelling, but when there are a number of games being played at any given moment, there is always something entertaining to choose from. But a super conference made up of teams I have no connection to in a region I have no connection to just isn't that interesting to me. I'm not a big fan of the NFL for the same reason. The level of play on the field is much better, but I find it boring.
                      To answer your original question: The SEC has had the highest fan attendance of any league for the last 23 years. And they consistently dominate TV ratings also. Adding Texas and OU makes them ridiculously dominant. I can't imagine what kind of TV contract they will be able to get.

                      Yes, 16 is a lot of teams. But when you are knocking it out of the park with 14 teams and you add two of the top blue bloods, you are in zero danger of dilution.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        What are the chances any other conference or conferences react?

                        1.) I think college football needs to eventually be free of conference affiliation forces when making decisions. That is not to say there shouldn't be conferences but college football needs to go its own way as far as conference structures etc. Trying to coattail hoops, volleyball or baseball off of football is getting increasingly irrational. The lesser revenue sports need football so I am not advocating doing away with college football for a minor league replacement, just allowing Alabama and USC to be in the same conference if that is what makes the most sense for football without the Women of Troy volleyball having to head to Tuscaloosa and/or Starkville annually.

                        2.) Saying that- will any other Power conference react to the SEC taking Texas and OU?
                        A.) Does the Pac value having member teams in Texas which theoretically gives them recruiting access and a foothold in the Lone Star State enough to share their revenues with 4 more member teams? Will the foothold be anything more than a mirage with Texas and aTm already in the catbird seat and having SEC money and affiliation?
                        B.) I am assuming the ACC won't move until Notre Dame decides to fully join for football. It will then look to add somebody to get to 16- I think the ACC is at 14 right now for football.
                        C.) I don't understand why the B1G would add anyone. Perhaps Kansas for its hoops program, but then they would need to add another and I am not sure it all works out.

                        With Texas and aTm gone, please name me a single team in Texas that would be a serious candidate for the P12.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by USUC View Post

                          I am only speaking for myself obviously, but I have no connection to the south or to any of the teams. Half the fun of CFB for me are the traditions, the rivalries, the storylines, the cinderellas/underdogs, the regional differences, etc. Granted, not a lot of these individual games on the field are that compelling, but when there are a number of games being played at any given moment, there is always something entertaining to choose from. But a super conference made up of teams I have no connection to in a region I have no connection to just isn't that interesting to me. I'm not a big fan of the NFL for the same reason. The level of play on the field is much better, but I find it boring.
                          I agree with this post completely. The NFL can be painfully boring. CFB offers so much more in terms of diversity of culture and tradition based on regional peculiarities. Even though BYU lost, one of my fondest college football memories in the past few years is traveling with my boys to Toledo to watch BYU play. It is a truly unique stadium, in a unique place. I suppose I could have that same experience in SEC country, but if it means dealing with NFL type hoopla, I have no interest. I will spend my Saturdays doing other things.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                            To answer your original question: The SEC has had the highest fan attendance of any league for the last 23 years. And they consistently dominate TV ratings also. Adding Texas and OU makes them ridiculously dominant. I can't imagine what kind of TV contract they will be able to get.

                            Yes, 16 is a lot of teams. But when you are knocking it out of the park with 14 teams and you add two of the top blue bloods, you are in zero danger of dilution.
                            Fair point. But is there a risk that CFB just becomes a regional sport as programs from other areas of the country gets pushed out of relevant college football? I guess the sun belt is where the population growth is happening so it probably could survive as a regional interest only. Clearly I'm projecting. But it just doesn't really appeal to me.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by tooblue View Post

                              I agree with this post completely. The NFL can be painfully boring. CFB offers so much more in terms of diversity of culture and tradition based on regional peculiarities. Even though BYU lost, one of my fondest college football memories in the past few years is traveling with my boys to Toledo to watch BYU play. It is a truly unique stadium, in a unique place. I suppose I could have that same experience in SEC country, but if it means dealing with NFL type hoopla, I have no interest. I will spend my Saturdays doing other things.
                              We are just two curmudgeons complaining about change apparently.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by tooblue View Post

                                I agree with this post completely. The NFL can be painfully boring. CFB offers so much more in terms of diversity of culture and tradition based on regional peculiarities. Even though BYU lost, one of my fondest college football memories in the past few years is traveling with my boys to Toledo to watch BYU play. It is a truly unique stadium, in a unique place. I suppose I could have that same experience in SEC country, but if it means dealing with NFL type hoopla, I have no interest. I will spend my Saturdays doing other things.
                                College football is the #2 spectator sports in America. NFL = #1.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X