The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

No way in hell Nebraska comes back to a decimated B12.
    Well, if UT is gone maybe they would come back. It's not like they are making any kind of impact in the B1G.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Why?

I think BYU is likely better served in a conference. I don't know that it is little more than rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic unless that conference has BCS benefits, and I have no clue what a Humpty-dumpty pieces put back together Big-12 would provide for BYU should they be fortunate to be invited and accept, but I would prefer BYU in a conference with midwestern schools to the current Independent/WCC arrangement. I mean who wants to go to basketball games in February in Malibu when you can go to Ames or the little Apple?!
      Financially BYU would be good for the Big 12... The question is would a castrated Big 12 be financially good for BYU.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I was curious about the “and not just athletics” part.
        Most people see BYU as a negative because of the LDS Church. The history with blacks and the current stuff with LGBTQ+. It is going to be a huge stumbling block and it will be the single biggest piece of ammunition used towards BYU, and people wont be shy about it.

Why invite BYU to a conference? You can schedule them in hoops and football all day long without having to tie yourself up in a tournament or Sunday play issues. Why buy the cow when the milk is free?

As a fan, I want nothing more that access to a P5 conference and the P5 bank account. But I have already seen 100+ tweets about how you can't allow the gay hating polygamists into our conference. And none of that has to be true. But like anything else....vaccines and Trump have taught us that things don't have to be true to be believed. And there are teams that will use this stuff as a "moral high ground" to try and keep us out, and other teams will use this as a way to keep us out while hopefully gaining them access.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

Most people see BYU as a negative because of the LDS Church. The history with blacks and the current stuff with LGBTQ+. It is going to be a huge stumbling block and it will be the single biggest piece of ammunition used towards BYU, and people wont be shy about it.

Why invite BYU to a conference? You can schedule them in hoops and football all day long without having to tie yourself up in a tournament or Sunday play issues. Why buy the cow when the milk is free?

As a fan, I want nothing more that access to a P5 conference and the P5 bank account. But I have already seen 100+ tweets about how you can't allow the gay hating polygamists into our conference. And none of that has to be true. But like anything else....vaccines and Trump have taught us that things don't have to be true to be believed. And there are teams that will use this stuff as a "moral high ground" to try and keep us out, and other teams will use this as a way to keep us out while hopefully gaining them access.
          Twitter isn't the real world.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Twitter isn't the real world.
            One of us will be wrong. I hope it is me.

Comment

One of us will be wrong. I hope it is me.
              I've been trying to educate JL about this FOREVER. I was the first who said (clear back on Cougarboard. 25 years ago?) that BYU would never be admitted to a major conference because of this, and BYU still has not been admitted to a major conference--despite there being no other explanation than mine. Nobody believed me then, and JL continues to disbelieve this. Some call it bigotry. But the other side replies that BYU is claiming bigotry because it is shunned as a bigot, which isn't bigotry.

The problem for BYU has only gotten worse with constitutional right to same sex marriage, transgender civil rights, BLM, identity politics, triggering, etc.

I doubt a non-major conference like the MWC or the WAC would accept BYU at this point, because this problem for BYU has gotten much worse.

The problem is that all university culture is progressive. In fact, I bet if there were a vote among BYU faculty and administrators, rescind the Honor Code or not, overwhelmingly they would vote rescind. BYU is the most progressive element of the LDS church, because it's a university.

JL can be very pig headed.

JL, can I change my moniker to The Oracle?
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

I've been trying to educate JL about this FOREVER. I was the first who said (clear back on Cougarboard. 25 years ago?) that BYU would never be admitted to a major conference because of this, and BYU still has not been admitted to a major conference--despite there being no other explanation than mine. Nobody believed me then, and JL continues to disbelieve this. Some call it bigotry. But the other side replies that BYU is claiming bigotry because it is shunned as a bigot, which isn't bigotry.

The problem for BYU has only gotten worse with constitutional right to same sex marriage, transgender civil rights, BLM, identity politics, triggering, etc.

I doubt a non-major conference like the MWC or the WAC would accept BYU at this point, because this problem for BYU has gotten much worse.

The problem is that all university culture is progressive. In fact, I bet if there were a vote among BYU faculty and administrators, rescind the Honor Code or not, overwhelmingly they would vote rescind. BYU is the most progressive element of the LDS church, because it's a university.

Pig headed isn't fair and is over the line.

JL is a wonderfully smart person. He sees things differently than I do. Difference of opinion is a good thing.

Comment

• Tom dusting off that powerpoint for the B12 interview process/beauty pageant. Hope he brings the creamery ice cream and mint brownies this time around.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

JL is a wonderfully smart person. He sees things differently than I do. Difference of opinion is a good thing.
                    More than two decades later, I think pig headed is fair.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Maybe the SEC will need to kick out aTm first before taking in UT and OU (and little brother OkiSt): https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...league-schools
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post

Lol.

As I have said before, you have a pathological craving for validation and to convince others that you are right about everything. I wonder why?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Maybe the SEC will need to kick out aTm first before taking in UT and OU (and little brother OkiSt): https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...league-schools
                          That is a very funny article.

I guarantee you this, aggy may whine but if the SEC tells them to sit down and shut up, it will be a unanimous vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Well, if UT is gone maybe they would come back. It's not like they are making any kind of impact in the B1G.
                            The Dude is absolutely correct: no way in hell Nebraska goes back to the Big 12. The whole reason Nebraska approached the Big 10 was precisely what may be unfolding now. Except it was the PAC-10 that Texas was courting back then. Nebraska knew wherever Texas went, OU would likely follow and that would be the end of the Big 12. Nebraska would be left without a viable conference.

For football (and that is all that really matters) the remnants of the Big 12 is pitiful. I doubt they could land a TV contract and would certainly lose P5 standing. Think about it, the dominate football program(s) in every Big 12 state except Kansas would belong to a different conference. From BYU's standpoint, are the leftovers of the Big12 a better option than the MWC that BYU left? Perhaps marginally, but BYU could well be better staying independent.
                            Last edited by Paperback Writer; 07-22-2021, 04:43 PM.
                            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Please ignore SU.

I am not sure you and I are even in any kind of disagreement. I simply asked a question to get more clarification on what you were thinking. BYU is unique for sure.

But I do believe twitter is not a reliable weather vane on public opinion. It is like the comment section of the Salt Lake Tribune. Interesting, but don't take it too seriously.

Comment

How are we "not easy to work with"?
                                I've heard the engineering department doesn't play nicely with other schools.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X