Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PAC 10 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wait, the part you all are getting hung up on is that lawyers are the worst?

    I mean, take my word for it.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

    Comment


    • What are the odds that the PAC has an offer slightly less than the Big 12 but Oregon and Washington won't sign the grant of rights? Trying to understand what could possibly be taking this long because there is no incentive to drag this out if they have a comparable offer and all schools really are telling the truth that they are committed to the conference.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Wait, the part you all are getting hung up on is that lawyers are the worst?

        I mean, take my word for it.
        Personally in my profession I am very grateful for our lawyers. They protect me from all the other lawyers.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          What are the odds that the PAC has an offer slightly less than the Big 12 but Oregon and Washington won't sign the grant of rights? Trying to understand what could possibly be taking this long because there is no incentive to drag this out if they have a comparable offer and all schools really are telling the truth that they are committed to the conference.
          Looks increasingly likely that they don't have an offer anywhere remotely close to what it will take.

          Here is a related theory:

          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

            Personally in my profession I am very grateful for our lawyers. They protect me from all the other lawyers.
            I am also grateful for other lawyers. I get paid to go fix their mistakes.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Moliere View Post

              Technically I remain in play to hook up with Natalie Portman.
              Dude, she already signed a grant of rights (married)

              Comment


              • Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

                Dude, she already signed a grant of rights (married)
                We all know that just means it’s more expensive.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                  Looks increasingly likely that they don't have an offer anywhere remotely close to what it will take.

                  Here is a related theory:

                  Ha, yeah, he's setting up the PAC so he doesn't take the fall.

                  Maybe Omaha is correct, that they have a sufficient offer in money terms (acceptable, not more than the B12), but the GoR/Exit penalty issue is the sticking point. Or the length of the contract, maybe? It's obvious that some schools are more committed to the PAC than others.

                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                  For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                  Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                  Comment



                  • Pac-12 expansion: Would SMU create media value? “I think it probably helps,” sports media analyst says
                    [...]
                    “Does SMU create value for the Pac-12? I think it probably helps,” Crakes said.
                    At $3 million per school per year?
                    “I’m not sure about that,” he added. “Being conservatively optimistic, maybe adding SMU is worth $1.5 million (annually) for the other schools. That’s $99 million (over six years).
                    “Then in the next deal, they become an incremental chip on the table.”
                    The next deal.
                    That’s a critical point in the Pac-12’s expansion strategy. The conference must consider SMU’s value when the next media rights cycle comes to an end (in the late 2020s or early 2030s), and it starts the negotiating process all over again.
                    “They need to get better in football,” Crakes said.
                    “But if you end up doing something like merging with the ACC down the road, you have the Dallas market, which is nice.”
                    https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/...-analyst-says/

                    $99 million over six years or $16.5 million per year. So the average Big 12 team is worth about twice as much as SMU.


                    In other news, ESPN is tighten the belt and eliminating 7,000 jobs.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

                      https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/03/...-analyst-says/

                      $99 million over six years or $16.5 million per year. So the average Big 12 team is worth about twice as much as SMU.


                      In other news, ESPN is tighten the belt and eliminating 7,000 jobs.
                      Yeah you "have the Dallas market" like adding Weber State would give the Salt Lake market.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post

                        Yeah you "have the Dallas market" like adding Weber State would give the Salt Lake market.
                        Yeah, that seems right... that commuter university in the city isn't delivering it.

                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment


                        • https://forum.utefans.net/t/more-med...3?u=seattleute

                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                          --Jonathan Swift

                          Comment


                          • $31 million before PAC12 network expenses. Looks Arizona is coming to the Big12 after all.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Moliere View Post

                              $31 million before PAC12 network expenses. Looks Arizona is coming to the Big12 after all.
                              GBU is not good at math.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment


                              • "layup". Lol.

                                That would be a terrible deal.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X