No announcement yet.

2022 NFL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a cesspool of ignorant people. If people are willing to blame the vaccine on this they should be ridiculed for the rest of their lives.

The most likely explanation is commotio cordis. It's rare because the blow to the heart has to be perfectly timed (within milliseconds of a certain part of the heartbeat cycle), but it happens. Like this:

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

It has been interesting following this online. Obviously, the health of any 24 year old takes precedent over any game. The NFL made the right decision to suspend the game. It would have been unconscionable to continue to play. The interesting part is no major reporter or news outlet is willing to ask the obvious question. What does the lack of a game mean going forward. Skip Bayless (who I can't stand) asked this last night and has been crucified by the online mobs.

I hope Hamlin makes a quick and full recovery and lots of what-ifs can be avoided. The NFL is a multi-billion enterprise. The results of last nights games have huge implications on playoff seeding and draft picks. I can't see any reasonable way the game could be made up, unless all of next weeks games are pushed back and Cincy-Buffalo is the only game played. The 2 week buffer before the Super Bowl gives a tiny bit of wiggle room. What is more likely IMO is the NFL either calls the game or a tie or just allows the Bills and Bengals to have a 16 game season. Either of those scenarios gives KC the inside track for #1 seed. With the new playoff format there is a lot bigger difference between first and second seeds. #1 gets a bye. #2 has to play opening week and would likely face Cincy in round two.

I'm guessing there are lots of on-going calls between the NFL and the owners. Each conversation is prefaced by "I don't want to sound insensitive but we really need to know what you are going to do...." Every reporter is likely having the same private conversation but no one wants to be like Skip and ask the question out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        It has been interesting following this online. Obviously, the health of any 24 year old takes precedent over any game. The NFL made the right decision to suspend the game. It would have been unconscionable to continue to play. The interesting part is no major reporter or news outlet is willing to ask the obvious question. What does the lack of a game mean going forward. Skip Bayless (who I can't stand) asked this last night and has been crucified by the online mobs.

I hope Hamlin makes a quick and full recovery and lots of what-ifs can be avoided. The NFL is a multi-billion enterprise. The results of last nights games have huge implications on playoff seeding and draft picks. I can't see any reasonable way the game could be made up, unless all of next weeks games are pushed back and Cincy-Buffalo is the only game played. The 2 week buffer before the Super Bowl gives a tiny bit of wiggle room. What is more likely IMO is the NFL either calls the game or a tie or just allows the Bills and Bengals to have a 16 game season. Either of those scenarios gives KC the inside track for #1 seed. With the new playoff format there is a lot bigger difference between first and second seeds. #1 gets a bye. #2 has to play opening week and would likely face Cincy in round two.

I'm guessing there are lots of on-going calls between the NFL and the owners. Each conversation is prefaced by "I don't want to sound insensitive but we really need to know what you are going to do...." Every reporter is likely having the same private conversation but no one wants to be like Skip and ask the question out loud.
        Yeah the Bayless tweet was insensitive but he was just saying the collective quiet part out loud. His sin was rushing to be the first one with a hot take.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

Skip Bayless taking heat is the first good thing to come from this tragedy. I hate that guy.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

i mean, they finished the game after the shazier injury...
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

I had been at the gym and turned on the game right as he was being taken away in the ambulance. I turned off the TV, but was following CB to stay up to date on what was going on (I know we make fun of CB, and deservedly so, but it is really good for keeping you updated in situations like this). I was just waiting for the first person to link it to being vaccinated. Surprisingly, I didn't see any, but I wouldn't be surprised if I missed some, or they were quickly moderated.
              just needed to give it some time apparently
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                i mean, they finished the game after the shazier injury...
                I remember watching that game. That was tough.

Comment

I don't know how they fix the AFC playoff situation. It's unlikely that KC loses to the Raiders, so I don't think Cincy was in line to get the #1, but Cincy is also screwed out of the #2 spot if that game never takes place or is declared a tie. Additionally, Buffalo loses the #1 seed and the bye.

I think at a minimum, the NFL is going to have allow the divisional and AFC championship games to be played on neutral fields. Between, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit and even St. Louis, they have plenty of venues that are presumably available.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    I don't know how they fix the AFC playoff situation. It's unlikely that KC loses to the Raiders, so I don't think Cincy was in line to get the #1, but Cincy is also screwed out of the #2 spot if that game never takes place or is declared a tie. Additionally, Buffalo loses the #1 seed and the bye.

I think at a minimum, the NFL is going to have allow the divisional and AFC championship games to be played on neutral fields. Between, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit and even St. Louis, they have plenty of venues that are presumably available.
                    Hadn’t thought of neutral field possibility. But you’re taking millions of dollars out of an owners hand. Will be tough to get the ones effected to agree to it. Have no does if decisions like that would even require their OK or if Goodel could unilaterally decree it. So much effort goes into getting the top seed, and now their doesn’t seem to be any fair way to determine who deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

Hadn’t thought of neutral field possibility. But you’re taking millions of dollars out of an owners hand. Will be tough to get the ones effected to agree to it. Have no does if decisions like that would even require their OK or if Goodel could unilaterally decree it. So much effort goes into getting the top seed, and now their doesn’t seem to be any fair way to determine who deserves it.
                      Assuming all three teams win on Saturday/Sunday, I heard Adam Schefter say an idea being considered is any game that takes place between KC and Buffalo, or Cincy and Buffalo could be on a neutral field. KC wasn't in line to get the #1 going into the Monday night game, giving them the #1 gives them a windfall. Cincy had control of #2 if it won out and getting that home game in the divisional round whether it was KC or Buffalo was a big deal.

It sounds like resuming or restarting the Buffalo v. Cincy game is not happening.

This is the best I can come up with:

1. No one in the AFC gets a bye, they decide to allow and 8th playoff team this year in the AFC.

2. The order of who plays which wildcard game will have to just be decided by win percentage of KC, Buffalo and Cincy. Quite honestly, I don't think there's a big difference between the Ravens, Steelers, Pats or Dolphins. Conceivably, the Jets or Jaguars could end up at #8 too, I'd have to look at the tiebreakers. Buffalo and Cincy will still be screwed because they'd have to play each other in the divisional and KC would have the #1, but there is no perfect solution.

3. If all three teams win on Sunday, any playoff game between KC and Buffalo is neutral, any playoff game between Buffalo and Cincy is likewise neutral, if all three teams win. If KC does not win on Sunday while the other two win, Buffalo gets homefield vs. KC, and KC and Cincy play on a neutral field.

As for money, it seems like they can figure out a way to split it if they go neutral. They're all going to get 1-2 home playoff games. If the Monday night game had been full played, KC was guaranteed to get 2 home playoff games if KC had won out. KC is still guaranteed to get home playoff games under this scenario. KC was not guaranteed a bye.
                      Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 01-05-2023, 02:47 PM.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Assuming all three teams win on Saturday/Sunday, I heard Adam Schefter say an idea being considered is any game that takes place between KC and Buffalo, or Cincy and Buffalo could be on a neutral field. KC wasn't in line to get the #1 going into the Monday night game, giving them the #1 gives them a windfall. Cincy had control of #2 if it won out and getting that home game in the divisional round whether it was KC or Buffalo was a big deal.

It sounds like resuming or restarting the Buffalo v. Cincy game is not happening.

This is the best I can come up with:

1. No one in the AFC gets a bye, they decide to allow and 8th playoff team this year in the AFC.

2. The order of who plays which wildcard game will have to just be decided by win percentage of KC, Buffalo and Cincy. Quite honestly, I don't think there's a big difference between the Ravens, Steelers, Pats or Dolphins. Conceivably, the Jets or Jaguars could end up at #8 too, I'd have to look at the tiebreakers. Buffalo and Cincy will still be screwed because they'd have to play each other in the divisional and KC would have the #1, but there is no perfect solution.

3. If all three teams win on Sunday, any playoff game between KC and Buffalo is neutral, any playoff game between Buffalo and Cincy is likewise neutral, if all three teams win. If KC does not win on Sunday while the other two win, Buffalo gets homefield vs. KC, and KC and Cincy play on a neutral field.

As for money, it seems like they can figure out a way to split it if they go neutral. They're all going to get 1-2 home playoff games. If the Monday night game had been full played, KC was guaranteed to get 2 home playoff games if KC had won out. KC is still guaranteed to get home playoff games under this scenario. KC was not guaranteed a bye.
                        NBC is reporting that the 8th playoff team is being seriously considered and that it would extend to the NFC. Very interesting. Also, an AFC championship could be neutral.

Comment

Loved hearing the news that Hamlin, while still in critical condition, is now able to communicate by writing (he's intubated and thus can't speak). Apparently the first thing he wrote was, "Did we win?" His doctor said, "yes, at the game of life." Ahhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            Loved hearing the news that Hamlin, while still in critical condition, is now able to communicate by writing (he's intubated and thus can't speak). Apparently the first thing he wrote was, "Did we win?" His doctor said, "yes, at the game of life." Ahhhhh.
                            Hey, come on. Don't reward that doctor for that cheezy line that he clearly crafted so it would go viral.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Hey, come on. Don't reward that doctor for that cheezy line that he clearly crafted so it would go viral.
                              No doubt, but it was Hamlin's note that got me, not the trite observation. Despite the bromide, a nice moment.

Comment

NBC is reporting that the 8th playoff team is being seriously considered and that it would extend to the NFC. Very interesting. Also, an AFC championship could be neutral.
                                I would approve of that... as long as the Seahawks or any other 'bird' team is not the 7th or 8th team in the NFC. I hate all bird teams. Unfortunately it looks like the winner of the Lions/Packers game would be that eight team right now. Come on Rams! Also, Giants need to kill the birds they are playing this week.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X