2023 women's soccer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    BYU gets a 1 seed in the ncaq tournament!
    WOOT WOOT!!!!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

And they play the only other team besides Texas to beat them this season: Utah State

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
        And they play the only other team besides Texas to beat them this season: Utah State
        Time for some revenge.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          Didn't that happen with UVU within the last couple seasons? Tied, or lost, to an inferior team, then BYU boat-raced them in of the tournament.

Comment

It wouldn't surprise me but I don't follow the women's sports super-closely enough to know/remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Time for some revenge.
              They are ready and want revenge. Hopefully it translates to the field.

Comment

Breakfast at the Provo Hyatt this morning included a fun conversation with the UNC head coach and a couple of his assistant coaches. Their game against BYU is on Friday at 6 pm for the right to play in the Final Four. They've only played at BYU once before, a win in the 2012 tournament on their way to their last national championship.

His opinion of BYU's biggest advantages (as best as I can remember):

- Very athletic
                - Excellent one-on-one play
                - Great crossing shots on goal from the right (?) side
                - Possible advantage of being accustomed to playing at altitude (UNC has played zero games at altitude this season)

Biggest advantages for UNC:

- Depth - they don't have much drop off when they substitute
                - Team defense is very good (haven't allowed a shot on goal for at least the last couple of games)

We talked talked about conference realignment and his comments from earlier this year about wanting Stanford to "die on the vine". He said they have a really tough time recruiting against them. In 46 cases of kids both teams have pursued, UNC has only won 6 of those battles. Of the 15 times they've played Stanford on the field, though, they've only lost twice.

He said BYU has the best fanbase of any women's soccer team in the country.

Their favorite road destinations, in no particular order (based on ease of logistics, restaurants, cleanliness, etc.):

- Bay Area
                - Pittsburgh
                - Boston

Least favorite:

- Chicago
                - Tallahassee
                - Notre Dame
                - Anywhere in Texas

I told them I hope they play really well on Friday, and lose.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  Breakfast at the Provo Hyatt this morning included a fun conversation with the UNC head coach and a couple of his assistant coaches. Their game against BYU is on Friday at 6 pm for the right to play in the Final Four. They've only played at BYU once before, a win in the 2012 tournament on their way to their last national championship.

- Very athletic
                  - Possible advantage of being accustomed to playing at altitude (UNC has played zero games at altitude this season)

- Team defense is very good (haven't allowed a shot on goal for at least the last couple of games)

We talked talked about conference realignment and his comments from earlier this year about wanting Stanford to "die on the vine". He said they have a really tough time recruiting against them. In 46 cases of kids both teams have pursued, UNC has only won 6 of those battles. Of the 15 times they've played Stanford on the field, though, they've only lost twice.

Their favorite road destinations, in no particular order (based on ease of logistics, restaurants, cleanliness, etc.):

- Bay Area
                  - Pittsburgh
                  - Boston

Least favorite:

- Chicago
                  - Tallahassee
                  - Notre Dame
                  - Anywhere in Texas

Pelado is everywhere! Great report. I've enjoyed watching this soccer team. Though these low scoring matches are stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post

Pelado is everywhere! Great report. I've enjoyed watching this soccer team. Though these low scoring matches are stressful.
                    Have a feeling we might be seeing PKs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

- Very athletic

- Bay Area
                      - Pittsburgh
                      - Boston

Least favorite:

- Chicago
                      - Tallahassee
                      - Notre Dame
                      - Anywhere in Texas

Awesome info, Pelado!

Per the BYU advantages, crossing from the right side makes sense. As I recall, the vast majority of goals scored on crossing shots come from a Mozingo assist from the right side.

Per the UNC advantages, BYU has depth as well, so I don't know much of an advantage that will be for UNC. The team defense one concerns me. BYU has struggled (as do most teams) when opponents just tuck in and put everyone on the defensive end, seemingly content with a 0-0 outcome or a lucky breakout goal.

Looking forward to Friday.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Who's at the match? I've fired up ESPN+ to hopefully see my new friend's team lose.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

And UNC with the quick score to go up 1-0.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

They don't look good

Comment

I mean, I know UNC has like 550 championships, but we should be better than this. They are absolutely destroying our girls. Like bloodbath destruction

Comment

How much did you actually tell the coach, Pelado?????

Comment

Working...
                                X