Cycling Miscellany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    That is about exactly what I carry on each ride. I also carry a lightweight rain jacket, just in case I’m thinking about adding a chain tool. I broke a chain on a MTB ride last year, but fortunatelt I saw on the mountain above my house and was able to coast the whole way home. If I was on a ride further away, I could have been stuck walking (or calling for the wife wagon).

I have never had that happen to me with a valve. Are you running tubeless? I wonder if the goop is getting in and messing it up somehow.
    Nope not tubeless. Seemed like a fluke--first time that's ever happened to me. I'm wondering if there was a weird defect. Well I'll be checking those valves and seating them with a tool moving forward.

Comment

• My buddy bought a brand new Ibis Ripmo AF. He brought it over to my house to give it a quick tune and to throw the pedals on. Got everything situated. Since I live at the bottom of a decent sized hill I told him he should pedal up and down to work through the gears and bed in the brakes. A couple quick laps and things were working as they should. He told me to take it for a spin. So in slippers I hopped on and pedaled up the hill and then back down. Right in front of my home I stood up on the pedals. Pop. The chain snapped. My right leg dropped on the crank immediately sending me and the bike onto its side. All I could think of was protecting my buddy's brand new bike so I dropped my knee and elbow. Well aside from the grip getting messed up a bit, the outside of the pedal, and some scratches on the rear derailleur, my sacrifice saved the bike. The fork and frame are still like new. My knee and elbow though look like hamburger. Gidget had to pick out some gravel with tweezers. I've never had road rash like that before. I've also never had a chain snap on me before either. I wasn't hammering. Just a freak accident. This also reinforced why I don't road bike.
      Last edited by Surfah; 09-03-2020, 06:25 AM.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        My buddy bought a brand new Ibis Ripmo AF. He brought it over to my house to give it a quick tune and to throw the pedals on. Got everything situated. Since I live at the bottom of a decent sized hill I told him he would pedal up and down to work through the gears and bed in the brakes. A couple quick laps and things were working as they should. He told me to take it for a spin. So in slippers I hopped on and pedaled up the hill and then back down. Right in front of my home I stood up on the pedals. Pop. The chain snapped. My right leg dropped on the crank immediately sending me and the bike onto its side. All I could think of was protecting my buddy's brand new bike so I dropped my knee and elbow. Well aside from the grip getting messed up a bit, the outside of the pedal, and some scratches on the rear derailleur, my sacrifice saved the bike. The fork and frame are still like new. My knee and elbow though look like hamburger. Gidget had to pick out some gravel with tweezers. I've never had road rash like that before. I've also never had a chain snap on me before either. I wasn't hammering. Just a freak accident. This also reinforced why I don't road bike.
        Ouch. I haven't had road rash since I was a teenager. And I haven't ever had a chain break on me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          Ouch. I haven't had road rash since I was a teenager. And I haven't ever had a chain break on me.
          Yeah it sucks. I had a trip to the bike park planned for Labor Day which is now out of the question. Sleeping sucks because I'm a stomach and side sleeper. I have been popping ibuprofen each night which helps. I've been cleaning it and changing out bandages daily. But my leg is still pretty swollen and bruised to go along with the road rash. Just hoping it's all healed by the end of the month when I've got a trip to Dupont and Pisgah planned.
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah it sucks. I had a trip to the bike park planned for Labor Day which is now out of the question. Sleeping sucks because I'm a stomach and side sleeper. I have been popping ibuprofen each night which helps. I've been cleaning it and changing out bandages daily. But my leg is still pretty swollen and bruised to go along with the road rash. Just hoping it's all healed by the end of the month when I've got a trip to Dupont and Pisgah planned.
            Yeah, getting sidelined is the worst. Best wishes!

Comment

• Bummer surfah. I hope you heal up quickly.

I’ve only really crashed once. I was in a group of five and was third place and the lead guy slammed his brakes when a car at an intersection looked to be pulling out in front of us. I went down but avoided hitting the guy in front of me so other than some scrapes and bruises I was fine and so was my bike. I did hit my head in the street so thankful for a helmet and it was a cold day so I was covered in spandex/Lycra so the scrapes were minimal. But it had me freaked out for a bit to ride in a group.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Bummer surfah. I hope you heal up quickly.

I’ve only really crashed once. I was in a group of five and was third place and the lead guy slammed his brakes when a car at an intersection looked to be pulling out in front of us. I went down but avoided hitting the guy in front of me so other than some scrapes and bruises I was fine and so was my bike. I did hit my head in the street so thankful for a helmet and it was a cold day so I was covered in spandex/Lycra so the scrapes were minimal. But it had me freaked out for a bit to ride in a group.
                I've had my fair of crashes in dirt. But that is what more forgiving than pavement.
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

I've had my fair of crashes in dirt. But that is what more forgiving than pavement.
                  I got trail rash on my elbow from a stupid crash in June on a trail just above my house. It ended up developing a MRSA infection. That elbow still isn't quite right, I cant rest it on anything or have it bent more than 90 degrees for more than a couple of minutes without it acting up.

Comment

My buddy bought a brand new Ibis Ripmo AF. He brought it over to my house to give it a quick tune and to throw the pedals on. Got everything situated. Since I live at the bottom of a decent sized hill I told him he should pedal up and down to work through the gears and bed in the brakes. A couple quick laps and things were working as they should. He told me to take it for a spin. So in slippers I hopped on and pedaled up the hill and then back down. Right in front of my home I stood up on the pedals. Pop. The chain snapped. My right leg dropped on the crank immediately sending me and the bike onto its side. All I could think of was protecting my buddy's brand new bike so I dropped my knee and elbow. Well aside from the grip getting messed up a bit, the outside of the pedal, and some scratches on the rear derailleur, my sacrifice saved the bike. The fork and frame are still like new. My knee and elbow though look like hamburger. Gidget had to pick out some gravel with tweezers. I've never had road rash like that before. I've also never had a chain snap on me before either. I wasn't hammering. Just a freak accident. This also reinforced why I don't road bike.
                    That is never fun. Make sure you fully and thoroughly cleaned and debrided the wounds. I crashed once on my elbow in the dirt and cut it up pretty badly. I didnt clean it adequately and developed a nasty infection that took a long time and many meds to overcome. The pain involved in proper cleaning and debridement, even the next day, is well worth avoiding an infection.

Chrisenrut also makes the need clear.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• The other day my 11-year-old daughter was assisting me in replacing the many flat tires on our family bikes. After a while, she asked me why I kept referring to the wheels as male. She asked, "How do you know it's not a girl?"

As I looked down at the wheel, I hesitated momentarily whether or not to voice my reply. I then pointed to the stem and said, matter-of-factly, "because it has a penis."

She burst into laughter. I joined in. We didn't stop laughing for a while.

She reminded me of it tonight after I told the family about the episode from The Tonight Show featuring the tomahawk to the groin and Johnny Carson's quip, "I didn't even know you were Jewish".

My wife didn't seem to care for either story.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I woke up in the wee hours of the morning, and couldn't get back to sleep. Finally, at 4:30 I decided to get up, strap on my helmet light, and ride up the mountain.

In the dark it's hard to see how smokey the air is. But watching the airline planes soar over the mountains, their forward lights were illuminating a visible path in the smoke like a car does in a snowstorm. I probably did more harm to my lungs than good from the exercise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                          Nope not tubeless. Seemed like a fluke--first time that's ever happened to me. I'm wondering if there was a weird defect. Well I'll be checking those valves and seating them with a tool moving forward.
                          Got another flat just down the canyon from the last one--this time it was a staple I picked up. I used my new valve tool to ensure the valve was seated, and my pump worked like a champ.

Comment

• This is pretty cool

Comment

• My next door neighbor is working his way through Orem.

Comment

• I am re-outfitting my old mission bike, a Univega Alpina Pro. If I want to go mid-upper range on shifters, suspension, derailleur, rims, tires, bars, etc. what are some reasonable options?

BikePedia - Bicycle Value Guide
                                Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 06-07-2021, 05:43 AM.
                                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Working...
                                X