Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueK
    replied
    I've compiled this same data from the bracket matrix before showing how remarkably close it usually comes to what BYU's actual seed is. If you believe in the idea of a BYU discount, consider the thought that the 100+ bracketologists bake it into the cake when putting their bracket together.

Typical Indy later down in the thread attempting to refute based on what the committee did to us 17 and 18 years ago. It's been a long time since that horrific event which predates the existence of the matrix. The process and criteria used are more transparent today and I think the matrix probably helps keep the committee from getting too far off base.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=25705585

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    BYU has had 8 different players lead the team in scoring so far this season - Barcello x 11, George x 2, Harding x 1, Averette x 3, Haarms x 3, Lohner x 2, Johnson x 1, Knell x 1.

BYU has had 8 different players lead the team in rebounding so far this season - Harward x 3, Lohner x 11, George x 3, Averette x 1, Haarms x 2, Johnson x 1, Barcello x 2, Harding x 1.

BYU has had 4 different players lead the team in assists so far this season - Lee x 1, Barcello x 14, Averette x 8, Haarms x 1.

A lot of different guys have stepped up in different ways throughout the season.

Leave a comment:

• Goatnapper'96
    replied
    Originally posted by Applejack View Post
    I, for one, don't like what Pope has done and would not be sad to see him leave. I think it's about time for a huge recruiting/honor code scandal.

Having said that, however, I would not mind seeing him coach at Utah. Assuming, of course, that Utah restarts the men's b-ball program.
    I kind of feel bad for Kristowiak. I haven't watched Utah real closely the past few years, but when I did watch I thought he was a decent coach. I think the problem with his retention is that he actually *is* a good recruiter because he is honest. During the recruiting process parents likely approved of his message and that has influence on the kids. Then the kids got to Salt Lake and found out he really wasn't lying that it really was all about hard work, toughness and all those attributes that kids claim to believe in when they are in front of their parents. But once they get on their own they find out they don't believe in it near as much as they thought they did so they transfer away.

I also liked how he picked up that kid from Utah State who was a junior in eligibility 3 days before the first Utah State game or whatever it was. Not only did it return AggieNation to their paradisiacal glory of string pulling, but it set up nicely when Utenation threw themselves on the floor and burned themselves in effigy because of Mark Pope's lack of integrity for bringing Lohner home. Out of curiosity does our old friend LA Ute! ever find any striking comparisons between what Krystowiak did in that particular situation to how Pope won back Lohner or does he just bloviate about the whispers he hears in shadows about Mark Pope? I am usually touched when Utenation expresses their deep sentiments on how BYU coaches break Utenation's staunchly held, at least with respect to BYU, codes of conduct.

Leave a comment:

• Applejack
    replied
    I, for one, don't like what Pope has done and would not be sad to see him leave. I think it's about time for a huge recruiting/honor code scandal.

Having said that, however, I would not mind seeing him coach at Utah. Assuming, of course, that Utah restarts the men's b-ball program.

Leave a comment:

• smokymountainrain
    replied
    i couldn't be more impressed with what pope has done this year with this group. i don't believe there is a coach in the country who could have had more success this year with these guys.

Leave a comment:

• Goatnapper'96
    replied
    BYU won their two games last week convincing enough to improve their various metrics. At this point in time they are about where they were last year, although given Yoeli's suspension and the injuries last year was still a better team. No arguing, IMO, that this team is the best BYU team I have seen in what one might reference "a rebuilding year." I think that indicates that Pope has his stuff together- certainly the changes in transfer rules makes it easier to rebound after graduating 7 seniors and all the productivity that made up last year's team but Pope took advantage of what was available to him and that is what matters most.

Last year I think BYU was in a great position to be seeded consistent with their various metrics. I don't think that will be the case this year as BYU is without that singular statement win that gets attention as they got last year beating Gonzaga in the final regular season game. Without beat Gonzaga, I think BYU's seed ceiling is 7. If we take care of business in the WCC Semi convincingly, which I expect as I think BYU is just much better than all the other teams other than Gonzaga, and BYU can relatively compete with the Zags before losing by 10 or so points I think we can make it to a 7. I guess I should say that if we play the Zags well enough that it could be said honestly "BYU could have won" then perhaps we may squeak up to a 6 seed. If we struggle to win the semi and then get blown out by Zags then I think we come in at 8. If we lose the semi we drop to 9. If we pull out a miracle and beat the Zags then I think we could bounce as high as a 5.

Fun to be in this spot. Mark Pope is one fine head basketball coach.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    BYU will play the winner of
    Pepperdine vs the winner of
    Pacific vs the winner of
    Santa Clara vs Portland

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
    St. Mary’s can always and for ever more SAD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wins against Saint Mary's are just more satisfying than against most other teams.

In fairness, the first classy move I've seen from Bennett happened in this game when he called timeout with about a minute left to put in subs, essentially conceding the game. So then Pope was able to pull the seniors so they could get an ovation for their (possible) final home game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Flystripper
    replied
    St. Mary’s can always and for ever more SAD

Leave a comment:

• BigPiney
    replied
    Oh my goodness that dunk!

Leave a comment:

• BlueK
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

I think BYU is in a good position to win these final two home games fairly convincingly. BYU has had two of its best offensive performances the past two games with Gorgeous George scoring as much as I did on Prom Night. If the 3 ball keeps dropping BYU's offense is looking better each game.

BYU should be able to win the semi matchup in WCC Tourney in similar fashion before being blasted by the Zags. Perhaps we compete better with Gonzaga but I think they are really, really good.

I think if we can keep the Zags game remotely interesting then we might bump up to a 7. Beat the Zags and likely get a 5 or 6. Win out until the Zags and get blasted will leave BYU as an 8.

I think winning a first round game is a phenomenal year for BYU after what graduated last year. Then Pope's biggest recruiting battle is to convince Barcello to come back for another year. Go get your PG of the future via a transfer and next year's rotation ends up Barcello, Johnson, Knell, Gorgeous George, Lohner, Harward, Baxter, Lee, Harding and PG of the future. I think BYU could potentially be a second weekend team next year.
    The brackets are still catching up I think to BYU having recently added two Q2 wins and has them at a 7 seed now.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
    You are forgetting the > 0% chance of the Zags having to forfeit all their games because they are the cheatiest bunch of cheats that ever cheated.

I may have overlooked that component. Maybe BPI is right, after all. Chance of winning the conference is back to <0.1%.

Leave a comment:

• Flystripper
    replied
    You are forgetting the > 0% chance of the Zags having to forfeit all their games because they are the cheatiest bunch of cheats that ever cheated.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Nope. I only see two games remaining on the Zags' schedule. With BYU already having 3 conference losses, I believe the chance should be 0%.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    They have a <0.1% chance of winning the regular season conference championship

Leave a comment:

Working...
X