Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donuthole
    replied
    Why do we always play like shit in this tournament?

Leave a comment:

• LiveCoug
    replied
    Extremely ugly start for the good guys. Coleby Ross is a douche

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueK View Post

A win here and I think at least a 7 seed is assured. This would also be a good time to remind that despite BYU's overall lackluster NCAA tournament history, they have never lost a first round game when seeded 7 or better.
    That's only true since 1981. Prior to that, when the tournament had fewer teams, BYU lost as a 3-seed in 1980 (to #6 Clemson) and as a 5-seed in 1979 (to #4 San Francisco). Here is BYU's record in first-round games per their seed starting in 1981:

Seed Win-Loss in first round Notes
    3 1-0 Jimmer!
    4 NA
    5 NA
    6 1-0 Danny!
    7 2-0
    8 1-4 Should be closer to 50% - 8-seed not good for BYU
    9 NA
    10 1-3
    11 0-1 Allowed comeback vs Ole Miss in First Four
    12 0-4 The 5-12 matchup sucks for BYU
    13 NA
    14 1-0 The comeback vs Iona in First Four

Their cumulative record in first-round games since 1981 is 7-12. Not the best, but certainly not the worst, either.

Leave a comment:

• BlueK
    replied
    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    BYU vs. Pepperdine on Monday at 10 pm MT on ESPN2.
    A win here and I think at least a 7 seed is assured. This would also be a good time to remind that despite BYU's overall lackluster NCAA tournament history, they have never lost a first round game when seeded 7 or better.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    BYU vs. Pepperdine on Monday at 10 pm MT on ESPN2.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    They'll lock up that 6 seed at the same time they lock up their first WCC tournament championship!
    A win over Gonzaga might push them up to the 5-seed line. That would be pretty sweet. Not very likely, but very sweet.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Public
    replied
    They'll lock up that 6 seed at the same time they lock up their first WCC tournament championship!

Leave a comment:

• Bo Diddley
    replied
    Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Pelado
    replied

This site is another great reference. A team's record vs. each of the 4 quadrants is the most important of the criteria the committee uses. This makes it easy to compare how BYU stacks up. If you ask me, the #1 reason BYU fans get upset with the committee is when all they do is take BYU"s NET, rpi, or whatever other ranking and divide by 4. When the actual seed is higher they get mad. The committee only uses the NET to define the quadrants then they rank the teams on the s curve based on records vs. the quadrants. When you look at it that way, BYU'S seeds have usually been fair, or at least defensible.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2021/net-nitty
    This site is pretty good for that, too: https://bracketologists.com/

Leave a comment:

• BlueK
    replied
    Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

So the question is: 7 seed? or 6? A 6 seed would be awesome, but I really doubt that happens. As long as we aren't in the dreaded 8-9 game I am ok.
    This site is another great reference. A team's record vs. each of the 4 quadrants is the most important of the criteria the committee uses. This makes it easy to compare how BYU stacks up. If you ask me, the #1 reason BYU fans get upset with the committee is when all they do is take BYU"s NET, rpi, or whatever other ranking and divide by 4. When the actual seed is higher they get mad. The committee only uses the NET to define the quadrants then they rank the teams on the s curve based on records vs. the quadrants. When you look at it that way, BYU'S seeds have usually been fair, or at least defensible.

http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2021/net-nitty
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-05-2021, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BigPiney
    replied

I am not Tcuz. I used to post there under Bluek. You could probably search there and find almost the same analysis from me last season though. I was probably plagiarized but don't care. I am happy when false ideas around the ncaa tournament are dispelled. :-)
    So the question is: 7 seed? or 6? A 6 seed would be awesome, but I really doubt that happens. As long as we aren't in the dreaded 8-9 game I am ok.

Leave a comment:

• BlueK
    replied

Interesting, so BYU right now is a 7 seed with a chance to move up to a 6?

and you are TCuz? I had no idea.
    I am not Tcuz. I used to post there under Bluek. You could probably search there and find almost the same analysis from me last season though. I was probably plagiarized but don't care. I am happy when false ideas around the ncaa tournament are dispelled. :-)
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-05-2021, 10:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Lebowski
    replied
    Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

Me neither, I thought Tcuz was like 20 years younger than BlueK
    BlueK is Ted Cruz?

Didn't see that coming.

Leave a comment:

• Clark Addison
    replied

Me neither, I thought Tcuz was like 20 years younger than BlueK

Leave a comment:

• BigPiney
    replied
    I've compiled this same data from the bracket matrix before showing how remarkably close it usually comes to what BYU's actual seed is. If you believe in the idea of a BYU discount, consider the thought that the 100+ bracketologists bake it into the cake when putting their bracket together.

Typical Indy later down in the thread attempting to refute based on what the committee did to us 17 and 18 years ago. It's been a long time since that horrific event which predates the existence of the matrix. The process and criteria used are more transparent today and I think the matrix probably helps keep the committee from getting too far off base.

https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=25705585

Leave a comment:

Working...
X